main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2014 Sci Fi Movie Preview

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    So does mould.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think maybe you need a shower...

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is a film called Edge Of Tomorrow due out in June starring Tom Cruise. It is an adaptation of a book called All You Need Is Kill, which was very good. Invading aleins are able to use tactical time travel and the lead character is caught up in repeating the same day.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The year is almost over. Interstellar is out to mixed reviews, and the third Hunger Games movie is also out, to mixed reviews. Since my OP, Jupiter Ascending has been moved to 2015 and looks to be a box office flop of Cloud Atlas proportions.

I haven't seen Interstellar yet - I'm saving that for when it's been reduced to Netflix streaming and I'm stuck at home with the norovirus.

The best sci fi for me this year has been watching The 100 on Netflix. It's flaw-ish and badscience-esque, but still wildly entertaining melodramapocalyptic fluff.

I don't have time to see the third Hunger Games, not even for the chance to participate in what looks like will almost certainly be by far the best opening weekend of 2014, a year without any really huge opening weekends. Trans4mers had the only $100 million opening weekend so far. Another year full of crappy sci fi movies. The climate may be changing, but other things will always be the same.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The worst sci-fi movie of the year is easily Transcendence: The Amazing Johnny Depp Sleep Walk Show

Obi-Zahn Kenobi and Jabbadabbado like this.
  6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    didn't see it. Looked completely awful from the trailer.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Under the Skin, Snowpiercer, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes were great.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It is. It's insulting as a matter of fact. It's the second movie in recent memory where I hated every single character within the first 5 minutes.

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The only redeeming quality about Transcendence is that Johnny Depp didn't give one of his post-Jack Sparrow mugging for the camera performances. In fact, I'm fairly certainly he was asleep half the time. I can't be %100 certain because so was I.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    A movie that clears room for a 2 hour nap isn't all bad.

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That's true. At this point Depp is lining him self up to be the replacement for the Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Bear.

[​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn and Jabbadabbado like this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    then Dark Shadows was also a step in the right direction.

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The Lone Ranger as well. I'm fairly certain that movie was five days long. My BluRay didn't have a digital counter, it had a guy with a piece of chalk drawing lines on a wall.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I went to see it with a friend of mine who had been an extra in it (scene with only a few people). He got cut lol.

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'll start out by saying that this movie isn't for everyone, but I thought Under the Skin was fantastic. Very creepy and a visual mind %^&* at times.

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, Under the Skin is pretty polarizing. I hated it, but I've spoken to people who think it's genius. I would recommend it to people simply because it's so... different. Your mileage will definitely vary.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I thought it played like a classic enigmatic pulp sci fi short story. Well told, haunting, marginally allegorical and with an acceptable punch line. also darkly funny if you like laughing at movies that are supposed to be serious. Genius? maybe not.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The co-workers who recommended it to me felt there were a lot of moving parts there that I just didn't see. As much as I hated it, at least it wasn't a sequel or based on a comic book or young adult novel. That gets a +1 on its roll from me.

cubman987 likes this.
  19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The soundtrack is pretty dope though.

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah of the people I know who watched it most loved it...but the few who didn't absolutely hated it....but yeah I would certainly recommend everyone give it a shot. For what it's worth, I liked it even better the 2nd time I watched it.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    lol

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I loooooved Snowpiercer. So incredibly strange.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    the penultimate Hunger Games movie will have the biggest opening weekend of 2014, but its box office take looks to be down significantly from the second movie. maybe $125 million for the opening weekend, including the Thursday night previews.