main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Community' started by s65horsey, Jan 23, 2014.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I keep hearing that so far that Sochi is kind of a dump.

2. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Hi, that's not what this thread is for. Please don't spam this thread with things not related to the athletic part of the Olympics. There is another thread for that.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That belongs in the boycott thread, but as the games begin, I fear it's going to be harder and harder to draw a line. Terrorist threats against athletes have already been received, sooner or later we'll have an incident with an athlete protesting Russia's anti-gay laws.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, what?

This is discussing the Olympics -- stop being a Senate Senatey, the worst kind of Helpy Helper!

6. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Look at the first post I made. thanx

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The condition of the city isn't an issue of the boycott at all. In fact, since the athletes have to stay their, it directly impacts their performance in the games. If someone has trouble sleeping the night before their event and then performs as if they were sleep-deprived, isn't that a pretty relevant fact to mention? And if an arena or facility is partly sub-standard, and it was built by the same corrupt firm that helped renovate a hotel that is in fact sub-standard, isn't that important too?

I can understand not wanting to flood out discussion of the actual events or athletes here, but come on. I don't even see how what happened here is problematic in light of the OP.

8. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    He posted it twice, quoting himself! That's ridiculous.

I asked for this to be a positive Olympics thread about the athletes in the sports tag. Apparently that's too much to ask for. Good grief.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I usually don't watch the Winter Olympics because school is in session, and I'm just too busy. This year, hopefully, will be different since we have a TV at our place. I love watching downhill skiing.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In athlete news, Shaun White pulled out of Slopestyle today; the event's inaugural (and potentially at this point, final) time...

It's already claimed two victims to injury in practice (Norway, Finland)...

darth_gersh likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC Sport

The airline lost the Jamaican Bobsledders' luggage. The sled made it but not their clothes or the sled runners.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Was that the only event he was doing, or is he doing other ones as well?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

NO, he pulled out to focus on winning his 3rd straight gold in halfpipe (his signature event).

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Alright good. I always enjoy watching him on TV.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I loved his giant F you to competitors in 2010... he didn't need to do his second run (he'd already confirmed Gold) but he did it anyways because he wanted to a) try and beat his previous score and b) bust out the Double McTwist 1260 for the first time in competition.

He did both.

And that's why he's #1...

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Can we keep this thread to only discussing the positives. Thnx

17. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    I did that on accident get rid of it if ya like.

Also the Bad condition such as the slop style run that has injured participants, has already cost the USA a chance at a medal.

18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Maybe the other thread could be re-titled "Controversies surrounding the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics". Emphasis on the plural.

Ghost likes this.
  19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    White was unlikely to do much in slopestyle.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I'd be fine with that.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  22. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah I think he was doing it as a fun event for himself and maybe to say he competed when it was first introduced to the Olympics, but after seeing the horrible course he decided it wasn't worth jeopardizing his shot at a medal in the half pipe. After some searching here's his statement. Yup. Makes sense.

White's full statement: "After much deliberation with my team, I have made the decision to focus solely on trying to bring home the third straight gold medal in halfpipe for Team USA. The difficult decision to forego slopestyle is not one I take lightly as I know how much effort everyone has put into holding the slopestyle event for the first time in Olympic history, a history I had planned on being a part of. However, with the practice runs I have taken, even after course modifications and watching fellow athletes get hurt, the potential risk of injury is a bit too much for me to gamble my other Olympic goals on."

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I remember that. That was great TV watching right there.

dp4m likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Coverage information for those in the UK or Europe: here. A note that the manual tuning satellite channels are free-to-air and are at the same satellite position as Sky Digital.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, he was going to help NBC with ratings.