main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Community' started by s65horsey, Jan 23, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You won't see me disagreeing. Still, we have that whole five rings thing we've developed. Isn't fair to just talk about two or three of then.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's true. And the truly annoying thing is that both US teams were beating themselves. The US Men's team likely still would have lost to NOR, I believe -- but that US Women's match vs. SUI... ugh. That was a totally winnable match...

EDIT: The above is re: US curling.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, that blonde player wasn't doing well.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Watching women's ski jumping at the moment. I think this is the first time it's been an event.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Dang, White missed out on a medal.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The women's ski jumping was a great event, where the number favorite finished outside the podium, a surprise winner, and a well deserving medal for the woman who has jumped the longest in the world.

The cross country sprint today was more like short track than cross country though, most of it was decided by falls in all the heats.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yes, first time women's ski jump has been an event, and it was great, right down to wire. Shame they only have the one event.

8. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002

IN 4 years they will add all the ski jumps the men do, considering how good this single event turned out.

9. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

All Russian Figure Skaters and Ice Hockey Players are professional and have been that way back to right after World War I. The SOVIET CONTROLLED all athletics not only in RUSSIA but in all COMMUNIST countries that the SOVIETS basically controlled. Hell Katarina Witt won
    her first gold as a EAST GERMAN Communist (She herself was not Communist but her country was). In those days no Russian Ice Hockey Players
    were in the NHL. You have to take the whole thing with a grain of salt. Ive always been for the best of the best in any sport to compete in the Olympics
    you have to make a living and athletes commonly make most of what they earn in a lifetime in a small 5 (that is about the average)year window when competing.

The greatest Ladies Gymnast in history who did defect and move to the USA (NADIA COMANICHI) is not exactly making tons of money of endorsements. She is doing fine but lives in a large and nice track home in a subdivision. Remember she is the greatest EVER and list Women's figure skating ladies gymnastics is the hi-point of the Summer games along with Swimming when its a good year for swimming. It used to be track and field but other than Usain Bolt and maybe Lolo Jones (because she is really hot and on lots of magazine covers try and name 3-5 top track and field athletes this Olympics…..unless its your interest you won't be able to do it.

my .02

10. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Found it funny that the Canadian beer fridge only opens with Canadian Passports.

11. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Agreed. I always thought it was a little unfair how Nadia was never really able to capitalize on her fame like Mary Lou Retton did. Although the fact she's known as the greatest is priceless. I'd venture to say any female gymnast serious about making the Olympics, both past and future, knows who Nadia is. It's a shame the same cannot be said for Janet Lynn, who did not reach the heights of fame that Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill did (to name two examples), but has been deemed off and on as one of the greatest female figure skaters ever. Michelle Kwan said she was one of her inspirations, and Scott Hamilton idolized her when he still competed (he talks about this in his autobiography). I've seen videos of Lynn, and she was incredible.

12. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002
    I enjoy discussing

I enjoy discussing athletics at the highest and purest levels. YOu are well read and a serious fun Im on my way home here in a second so I will check in
    at some point tonight. The pairs SP is tonight, have you figured out with all the channels NBC has if its possible to tune into channel……..and watch
    basically at least all the competitive pairs?

:)

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  13. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    FINALLY!........

[​IMG]

14. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    I have not figured it out entirely. I have a basic cable plan, so I only get the general NBC station on my tv. I do know that they're doing a lot of the live streaming online; last week when I was on my lunch break from work (around 11:30 am CST) I was able to go online and watch two of the pair couples compete live in the team event, one of whom did not make the primetime broadcast- I think it was the Japanese team. The US Figure Skating facebook page has been pretty good about sharing links to the online streaming, so I might check there for more info. They also tend to show more coverage late night on NBC starting around 11pm CST- found out about this from some of my coworkers being tired the next day because they'd stayed up to watch the late night stuff, which apparently runs well into the wee hours (2 and 3 am). Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :(

I spent most of my evening cooking with the tv on in the background, so I don't know the entire line-up of pairs teams shown for primetime tonight. I did see the performances of both American pairs, plus one of each of the Canadian, Russian, and German teams (don't know if they have more than one team like the US). The German team was fun; their program was set to "The Pink Panther" theme, with the girl dressed in a pink unitard/bodysuit (the panther) and the guy dressed in a military-like costume (the inspector). The second American team does not have a lot of international experience yet, but aside from a few fumbles here and there (they skated to an instrumental medley from Carousel), they were good and it would be great to see them stick around for the next games. The other three did the same routines performed in the team event; I found the Americans to be better than their original 'Santana' performance, while the Canadians were not as moving as before. And I'm lousy with everyone's names, so that's why I'm referring via nationalities. :p

Also: really hoping Shaun White is not burned out by his fourth place finish in halfpipe and comes back in four years. Based on the earlier spoilers, I was expecting a disaster, but the actual footage was not as bad as I thought. I know almost nothing about snowboarding, but it looks like so much fun and he really put it on the map for casual viewers.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So annoyed with not being able to watch the Nordic Combined eveny today, and radio is only talking hockey.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    You didn't miss much, the top two were well in front the whole race, and the winner pulled away just before they entered the stadium.

How about the women's downhill, first ever tie for first in an Olympic alpine skiing event. Tremendous race by both Gisin and Maze, Gut was also tremendous, under difficult conditions.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finally had time to sit down and watching the Opening Ceremony, a week later. It was pretty interesting -- I loved that crazy projection system, and pairing that with the map thing for the parade of nations was a great touch. Obviously Greece gets a lot of emphasis during the ceremonies -- lead during the parade, as well as leading off the Russian history video (although I was amused how we go from the Athenian acropolis to the Kievan Rus in a flash).

The imperial ballet bit was by far the best though -- absolutely phenomenal. I've never had the privilege of seeing ballet in person, but this underscores how I'd very much like to. It was easily the best bit of the entire show.

I also liked the very last sequence with the constellation of athletes too.

Also, I continue to be sickened and horrified by the U.S. opening ceremony outfits. Blech.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  20. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm sorry for Plushenko having to give up his career and dreams of another medal, but he made the right call.

21. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Just now hearing about this ^ :(

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    He's supposedly like the LeBron of Russia - I commend him on the decision as well, could not have been easy.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Skiing backwards? Wow. Skiing forwards is hard enough.

Pensivia likes this.
  24. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    You seriously need to change that. But you knew that already. :p Personally, I'd recommend trying to catch Giselle, Swan Lake, or Le Corsaire first. Even if the dancing is not spectacular (although usually it is with Giselle- it takes an amazing dancer to dance the title role), there's enough story and spectacle there with each to hold your attention.And the scores for each are amazing.

*This hijacking of the Olympic thread has been brought to you by one balletomane who danced for 15 years and has loved/followed ballet since she was 4* :D:p

Pensivia likes this.
  25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Really too bad about Plushenko.

Favorite line from the interview with him after his decision to withdraw: "I am normal people. I am not a robot."

[​IMG]

Enjoyed Yuzuru Hanyu's skate tonight...looking forward to his long program!

[​IMG]