main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2015 Book Club dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Working? Pffftt....
    Tell that to Kanjicklub!

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump. Reminded the wife of the meeting Monday night. She's going to try and be there.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Bump
    7:00 tonight at Barnes and Noble. Discussing the novel to The Force Awakens, but honestly you guys do not feel like you have to have read the book to attend. The plot of the book is the same as the plot of one of the most sucsessfull movies of all time, so just feel free to come and talk to 'Warz.

Best,

Jammies

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    My apologies to anyone who showed up to not find me there.
    I was in a finder binder on my way over, and stuck with the police officer and the other driver in the wendy's parking lot untill just now.
    No injuries, and no damage to my car at least.

Gang, let me know if you want to try again later!

Jammies

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. I'm free in 2 weeks Monday Feb 15 (President's Day) if that works. Otherwise I'll try and catch the next one.

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    That works for me Boss. I do wonder-- how can we get more folks to show up? Last night no one was there (even me), and the December book club didn't pan out either.

Gang, should we shoot for a different time / day/ month ? This is, after all, our club-- we can change things around to best meet the needs of all. I cannot stress this enough: having read the book is not a pre-req for attendance! Esspeccially for a novelization of a movie we all have seen by now.

Or, maybe, a book club has run its course for now, and we need a different meet up activity? Thoughts?

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I think it's just personal stuff getting in the way. I've had to work the last couple and my work schedule is hit or miss. The wife works every other week so she's only 50/50. She said 11-11 had a work thing so she couldn't make it the other night. I just gets tough. My D and D group has had to reschedule 3 times now. I was hoping Zannah and Appo were making a comeback but it doesn't seem like it now. We lost Cungr to the great EU Purge/Disney sale.11-11 is on the fence because of that same Purge. Recruitment is a problem. We know the fans are out there...you had 24 people show up to play Xwing...it's just getting them in.

I don't think the book club has run its course but if you want to put it on hiatus and do and something like an every other month Xwing session or something that's cool. You still run into the same problem of scheduling and you would need to find a public venue to game at.

8. JediLightside1966

JediLightside1966 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 30, 2015
    what are the 2016 book club dates and books?

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Still up in the air. If you have any thoughts or recommendations feel free.

10. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Exactly!.

Typically, Jedi Lightside BC is held on the first Monday of the Even Numbered month. So the last one (which I had to cancel due to the above mentioned fender bender) was on 2/1/2016, which would make the next one be 4/4/2016. However, we have been discussing changing that to best meet the needs of the local fandom.

Any thoughts or wants you have please post! And not just for book club, any meet up idea; RPG, tabletop gaming, shadow puppets, etc.

At the very least, I think we should have a make up day for the Force Awakens.

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    The wife and I are still good for a makeup day next Monday the 15th.

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I like the idea of a make up day, but the weather has me skeered for this Monday.

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Understood. Do you want to call it now or just see what happens?

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sorry, didn't check the boards.

I say call it. The interstates had a lot of wrecks yesterday and today; conditions may get better as the Monday temps warm up, but then again they are also talking about freezing rain; JCPS will be closed; and I already had one car wreck before Book Club i'd hate to have another. :rolleyes:

Boo winter.

15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Copy that

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    So. Monday April fourth is a few weeks away, and we never got to discus Alan Dean Foster's masterwork "The Force Awakens." I vote we meat at Barnes and Noble and converse upon the story of an ex stormtrooper, an abandoned desert scavenger, a quaffed Xing pilot, and a very emu Solo child. Also, apparently the book is based on some movie that came out.

Anyone wanna come out and play?

Luv,
    Jammies

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Wife is working but I'll be there!

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump! See you tomorrow night!

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Good TFA discussion last night, thanks everyone for coming out. Jammies, if the TFA Target extra content is a physical disk and not a download please let me know :)

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Awww...oh well...maybe the extra features will make it to the net.

22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    But yes-- really good discussion. One that, honestly, we will probably have for ages. I had in my notes to mention (but forgot); how about that prologue from the Journal of the Whills? Awesome! That could have been a full table discussion right there.

Next up will be June. Unless we have objections, lets plan on same format-- and with the new Bloodlines book out in May, that seems like a good pick. So, June 6th at 7:00 at Barnes and Noble to discuss Star Wars: Bloodlines, by Claudia Grey. Ms. Grey is my new favorite author with her star wars debut Lost Stars easily being the best of the Journey to the Force Awakens books.

Bloodlines will center around Senator Organa, and the formation of the Resistance. It comes out May 4th in hardback.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I've got it penciled in but I don't know if I'm working yet.

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    June's Book Club read, Bloodlines is getting some great press. The Holonet is all a buzz about how killer the book is. Even Clubjade loves it, and she is a die hard new canon hater!

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm a third of the way through Claudia Gray's "Lost Stars" and I really like it. If she sticks the ending I'll be very happy. If Lost Stars is any indication I really should like Bloodlines too.