main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The circus kicks off once again this weekend - Who's looking forward to going racing? :cool:

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Can't believe it's back already this weekend.

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Nice.

I haven't paid much attention during the off-season; which car(s) have been looking the best?

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I've read that the Mercedes has impressed/surprised and that it looks fast in all conditions.

Must admit I've not been paying much attention to the close season this year as I've been somewhat preocupied with other matters...;)

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I've always pulled for Webber, but I'm really interested to see how Perez does over at McLaren. I was impressed by him on the occasions I caught races last year, particularly with the equipment he had in the rain battling Alonso at Malaysia last year.

Looking forward to seeing if NBC Sports gives a better presentation than Speed in the US.

7. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    This is true, but Mercedes was fast in preseason last year as well.

...ended up brilliantly.

I hope Lotus pulls together another solid season, with Grosjean hopefully bringing in a few more points and causing a few less scraps.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I was gonna say, Mercedes in the early part of the season, including that win in Shanghai, were a strong looking team who faded dramatically after that.

My bet is on a Button win for the weekend, with another title fight between Vettel and Alonso. The two dark horses for the title, though, would be Button and Raikonnen.

I would still love to see Webber win the home GP.

Have you guys seen pitlanemanager.com? Basically a fantasy league for F1, you get a budget and buy engine, chassis, and drivers.

I picked up the Cosworth engine (utterly useless but can't afford better); STR chassis, and Ricciardo/Bottas as drivers. Ricciardo did well in Melbourne last year (wonderful 2 place overtake on the last corner) and Williams have dropped a lot of money in the form of the reliable Bruno Senna for Bottas on the assumption if they don't get him, someone else will. He was blisteringly quick in FW034, quicker than Maldonado, so I have high hopes.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  10. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Good lord, Webber's starts are just embarrassing.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Quick start for Ferrari. Wonder how Jensen's pit strategy will play out.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah Webber's 2012 was like his 2010, and there were some cracking starts in those years. 2013 started like a 2011 race. Then, losing KERS - again - and he's got nothing to pass JB with... shame.

I have the official timing app so I could watch Webber's race; he was for the most part 0.5s behind Button. Tragic.

Great result for the Iceman and Ferrari must be happy with that. Sutil had a commendable drive; Bottas did nothing. [face_plain] I will be keen to see if he lives up to the hype or not.

McLaren. Wow.

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    And a rather disappointing finish for Vettel after he looked so dominent in training and the time trial. Didn't see the race, what happened?

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Vettel got away quickly, but after the first round of pits, Sutil stayed out front on his first set for significantly longer than anyone else in the field (started on medium instead of soft), which allowed the two Ferraris to catch Vettel and wipe out any lead he hoped to cycle around. Raikkonen stayed on his third set of tires, and took only two stops while almost everyone took a third (or fourth) stop, and won by a long shot.

Vettel had a great car, Alonso probably had the fastest, Kimi was crafty enough to win on a big gamble. Webber sank like a stone at the start and was never in real contention.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The Red Bull didn't get its tyres switched on as quickly as others did and then another KERS failure for Webber meant he couldn't pass Button. Given his pace - before Kimi, he set a fastest lap - he could have pushed for a 4th place finish.

But, let's not forget, Red Bull have never dominated on that circuit before.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Despite the Lotus winning, it looks very much like 2013 will be a Red Bull Vs Ferrari year.

When oh when will McLaren come up with a championship winning car?:rolleyes:

17. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    When someone slips them Ferrari's drawings under the table. (again)

And I wouldn't rule out Lotus as a possible competitor... not just yet, at least. I know Kimi will be in the higher end of the points for many GPs, and I have hope for Grosjean pulling in some.

That said, my money is on Ferrari for constructor's and maybe even driver's as well. They have the car, and they have the drivers. They just need reliability and consistency - which is anyone's guess.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, but Red Bull have a car with proven pace (and let's not discount their results with a KERS-less Webber - even on poor starts he can finish on the podium, a la China 2011) and good drivers. Melbourne has been, in recent years, a circuit that's suited JB's style more than any other driver. So I wouldn't rule a 4th out for Vettel and Webber solidly adding to RBR's constructors hopes...

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  20. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    I'm tired of Red Bull so I choose to forget them.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Did anyone ever hear what deal was with Pastor (i.e. was he just slow or were there more significant problems)? During the telecast they made it clear that he sounded miserably relieved to end the race early. I didn't get to catch the practices last week, and now he's criticizing Williams in the press.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The Williams was echoing it's 2011 pace, not 2012 pace which is a real disappointment. I wanted to see more from Bottas in that race.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ready for Malaysia, always exciting and looks like it could be wet. Hamilton looked like he might get the pole but lifted on his last lap, Vettel snags another front spot.

Pulling for Mark to rebound, but the Ferraris look really tough, and Alonso won here last year. Massa is my pick, Nico Rosberg as a dark horse, he was quick in practice.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Feel the love in the post race waiting room.

Sounds as if RB had team orders to let Weber stay in front, Vettel ignored it. Weber sure did speak his mind in the podium interview, eh?

25. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Haven't seen a good F1 punchup in a while. Hopefully next race eh.