main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Blimey, what a Grand Prix. :eek:

Have to say we're all lucky that no serious harm was caused by all those tyre delaminations - Would only take one of those large pieces of rubber to hit another driver in the head and the results could be catastrophic.... Serious questions for someone to answer later.

Great drives from Webber and Hamilton. Thought it was poor form for British fans to cheer when Vettel stopped. Never like to see that.[face_party]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't think they were delaminations. Listening to Garry Anderson on the 5Live podcast he seems to think the issue was a combination of the sharp edge on turn 4 and the contact point between the side wall and the grip being weaker as Pirelli accommodate the requested grip levels on the tyres.

But agreed - Silverstone delivered in droves today and was, in my view, the best race of the season. Too bad Webbsy couldn't take P1 before the end.

Thoughts on the crowd booing Vettel?

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think booing (and cheering when he broke down) was because Webber has quit (They didn't boo Rosberg and he was driving for Germany, so it wasn't that) I suspect there's a general perception that Vettel has kind of forced out Webber (I don't think thats the case BTW)

Webber has a special place in British F1 fan's heart's and as I've said before he is very much viewed as an "Honoury Brit" (especially as he lives and pays tax in the UK) by the fans. I can't think if anyone in or out of F1 that will be glad to see him leave the sport, thats very, very rare with F1 drivers and speaks about what a great guy Mark Webber is.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I suspect as well people don't want another dominant driver like Schumacher, which Vettel could likely be.

At one point, the top 3 were all Jerrys. Awful business.

And you can't have Webber. He's ours! :'(

5. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Definitely a fantastic race. Hamilton's tyre issues hit while NBC had the race shrunk down to picture-in-picture to show ads, so we were left to speculate for a minute or two what exactly was going on based largely on reaction shots of British fans.

It was awesome.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Germany was also an interesting race, and like the one before it a lap or two too short for some.

PIty that Dan Ricciardo was out of the points, but so were Force India so it shows how special his qualifying was. My money is on him getting the Red Bull seat next year. JEV isn't as good, and Kimi hates sponsor events which RBR have. Plus Seb can't be enthused about the prospect.

Great drive from Webber to finish 7th, after a cracking start and idiotic pitstop error.

Button had a comparatively good finish, in terms of where the McLaren is this season. But, in sadly typical JB fashion, he was whinging on the radio all race and then after the race about the Caterhams.

Thoughts?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It appears that Ecclestone has officially been indicted on bribery charges by a German court. I am interested to see if this is a distraction, it's been lingering for a few months now.

8. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Ecclestone and bribery? No way.

At least he isn't calling women appliances, or showing sympathies towards Hitler!

heels1785 likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That was Max Mosley.

Ricciardo's looking good for the RB seat too :D

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if i was to pick any obvious number 2 to Vettell, it would be Ricciardo. but i would prefer Kimi and the ensuing, inevitable drama.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Rather exciting F1 news here in Austria -- The Gran Prix of Austria will be back on the calendar next year![face_dancing]

The site will be the Spielberg circuit it had been held on previously, but with Red Bull investing quite a bit. Some info on the circuit.

12. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    So my friend was perusing local street maps out of sheer boredom and something caught his eye. I have no idea who is behind this, but whoever it is is my hero.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Tremendous news to be announced at Spa!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109333

Kimi Raikkonen's Red Bull talks end, Daniel Ricciardo set for seat

By Jonathan Noble Monday, August 19th 2013, 14:37 GMT

[​IMG]
    Daniel Ricciardo is now set to secure the second Red Bull Formula 1 seat for 2014, with talks between the team and Kimi Raikkonen having come to an end.
    Amid growing speculation that Red Bull had decided to pick Ricciardo, Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson told AUTOSPORT on Monday that the Finn was no longer a contender to line-up alongside Sebastian Vettel next year.
    Robertson confirmed the news, which first appeared in Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat, that the former world champion's discussions with Red Bull had come to an end.
    "It's true," said Robertson. "Kimi will not be driving for Red Bull in 2014. We held some talks, but a deal will not be happening."
    Red Bull had openly admitted that its choice for Mark Webber's replacement was between Raikkonen and Ricciardo - despite being made aware in Hungary that Fernando Alonso could be available too.
    Raikkonen had always been happy to stay at Lotus for 2014, but the prospect of racing for reigning champion Red Bull was given serious consideration.
    The Finn's representatives opened negotiations with Red Bull, as the team weighed up whether to opt for Raikkonen's experience and guaranteed speed, or put its faith in a youngster like Ricciardo as a long term prospect.
    [​IMG] JULY 2013: Why Red Bull should take Ricciardo
    Although Red Bull is insisting that it is not in a position yet to announce its 2014 drivers, Robertson's revelation that Raikkonen is now out of the running points to a Ricciardo deal being a formality.
    An announcement about Red Bull's plans could be made as soon as this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, although the team may opt to wait for the following race in Italy.
    Should Ricciardo be confirmed, he will move up to Red Bull's main team after two full seasons with its junior Toro Rosso outfit. He also competed in 11 races for HRT in 2011.
    RAIKKONEN HAS OTHER 'OPTIONS'
    [​IMG]
    The collapse of the Red Bull talks means that Raikkonen's best option to remain in competitive machinery in 2014 is to finalise a fresh deal with Lotus.
    But such a deal is not a formality, amid questions about the financial health of the team, with Raikkonen having been paid late on some occasions.
    Robertson said that Lotus was just one possibility for Raikkonen as talks continued with a number of teams.
    "We are pretty confident that Kimi will be in F1 next year," he explained. "There are options - and that is plural - out there and I will continue to talk to teams. I am hopeful we will sort something out in the not too distant future."

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, that settles it. I think you called that one, didn't you? I think he's the better pick than Vergne at this stage, big upside.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think he's the best bet for RBR, full stop.

Look at it this way; Vettel is their #1 driver and he won't want a competitor who could beat him often. So that rules Kimi out. Kimi hates sponsorship events and RB do a lot of those.

If they'd taken Kimi it would have been as a #2 driver, and it's a short term fix. No, they want to keep winning constructors titles and to do that, you need someone who will bring home the points like Webber does.

But, Vettel's contract expires end of 2014 (or 2015, I can't remember which) so you need someone who can be ready to take over as #1 driver if required at that stage, who knows the car and team.

Dan's the only sensible choice, in my view.

He puts that STR so far ahead of where it belongs on the grid and can race competitively. He's had a few bad results due to strategy but mostly his limitation is the car. The guy is blisteringly quick through corners which is what the RB is set up to do - they never make the speed traps but carry the most speed through corners of any chassis in the field. So logically, if he can thrash the STR into Q3, and the RB car is much better, he'll be able to qualify front 2 rows in the Red Bull. And since they only go backwards when someone buggers up his start...

Plus, Australians in F1. Yes.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    Plus, forgetting about what is good for the one team: keeping talented drivers in different cars, on different teams, promotes competition and helps diversify the fan base.

And I was surprised - and disappointed - at how much hate there was for RBR, and Vettel in particular, when I was in Montreal. I've never actually seen open hostility and booring during the parade lap. Conversely, people loved Kimi. What would everyone think of RBR with those two personalities on the same team? Ruins the fun to worry about drama like that. I'd much rather a talented driver with everything to gain be put to the test.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Was it hostility towards Red Bull or just Seb?

My gut feeling is that Multi-21 in Malaysia has caused people to see through the affable persona Vettel puts on, and what they saw they didn't like. Certainly with British fans, Mark Webber's fondly regarded and I would be surprised if he was getting booed by Canadian fans..?

yankee8255 likes this.
  18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Looking forward to Spa - Seems we're in for plenty of showers and rain for both qualifying and the race itself, so should be a typically unsettled, changeable weekend.

Interesting story in The Sun this morning that RB may be lining up JB for Webbers replacement. :eek:

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That won't happen.

It'll be Ricciardo.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well that was a pretty dull Belgian Grand Prix in the end...

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Agreed. Spa has produced some memorable racing of late; 2011 stands out in particular, what with Webber on Alonso at Eau Rouge and Button on Rosberg down Kemmel. But yesterday was dreadful. Some standouts include:

* Webber's start. Put him down the grid or give him a short run to the first turn (Canada, Monaco) and he nails it. Put him on the first two rows, he flubs it.
    * Maldonado again involved in a race-ending collision. Maldonado again insisting it was the fault of another driver. Maldonado again getting a penalty
    * Button showing a hint of improved McLaren pace (FINALLY) and not whinging on team radio. Whitmarsh claims Perez victimised by other drivers - possibly because other drivers feel Perez's elbowy child-like style is dangerous?
    * Webber tells James Allen that the deal is done and Ricciardo has the seat; Horner tries to pretend otherwise. Gotta love Webbsy.
    * Alonso. Magical. Vettel. Boring.

22. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    But qualifying was pretty great

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I would prefer Kimi at Red Bull just, if nothing else, to stop this Vettel dominance.

The problem is once Vettel gets in front, he's rarely beaten. Which usually equates to dull races.

Great ride by Alonso tho. Just wish the Ferrari could match RB a little more - it would be great to see him battle Vettel on a more equal footing.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If they put Kimi in a RB, then they admit the STR team and young driver program has been sinkhole for millions. Their best bet is to stick with Ricciardo. Let him grow to be the Vettel replacement should SV leave.

Plus there's no guarantees that RB will dominate in 2014 with the engine spec changes. I'm thinking that Mercedes will probably have the best package, which seems to be paddock consensus.

Agreed that quali was awesome. And poor Di Resta.

25. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only kidding...

Kinda...