main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you hear Horner's radio message to Mark? Almost sounded... guilty?

2. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not going to pretend I know everyone's names, I've barely learned half the drivers. Would that be the "great drive" radio message he got at the end of the race?

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Have...have I been here before?

Easier to believe that I forgot about this thread, rather than not knowing there was one, ten months into the year.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, welcome regardless!

Still no word on Massa or Hulkenberg's seats for 2014....

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yep good news that, I think...

(Also, if you can avoid Planet F1, do - it's got no real F1 journalists working for it, they just copy paste from other news sources like Autosport)

...in that Red Bull is moving people into F1 based on talent and not money, as the Austrian drinks company is hardly low on cash. They've shown now that two of their best STR drives ended up in the main team, one of whom is a world champion and the other has shown considerable talent this season (I agree with the team and driver that the penalty in Japan was unfair on Ricciardo). Obviously Costa was favoured for the drive but has had a difficult season which is why Kyvat got it.

So, India this weekend. I'm going to be crazy for a moment and suggest a Vettel win. Whoa, slow down! you all say. But, trust me... [face_batting]

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    You might be right.

He got pole.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I was watching. Interesting how quickly the track was rubbering in, where people like di Resta and Ricciardo were 1st, 2nd for a little while.

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Maybe no real F1 journalists, but what they have, they package quite nicely. The three sites I frequent the most are BBC, these guys, and James Allen on F1.

I like their Winners and Losers and rare Not the F1 News features too.

Based on where I have been able to look, "real F1 journalists" on a site seems to be a bit of a rarity, plus, before PF1 broke their comments section, I used to enjoy trawling it during my lunch hours, though man, it can get more polarised than a sonic screwdriver.

The James Allen site is the only one that has enough quality of posters that I'll air my view. Of course, now that I have re-found this thread...

:( I miss the ITV (when they had the licence to broadcast in the UK) F1 site; their Race Girls photographer had *cough* the same taste as me. :p

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    For news, Autosport can't be beat but their opinion pieces are behind a paywall. Technically you only get 20 articles a month but clearing cookies will allow you to keep going back. Otherwise, yes, James Allen's column is quite good as is Joe Saward's blog - joesaward.wordpress.com/

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hm. Surprising. Sebastian Vettel, 4 x World Driver's Champion and Infiniti Red Bull Racing, 4 x Constructors. Never saw it coming but good work to both.

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    James Allen was uncharacteristically optimistic for a Webber win.

I and another poster didn't think Mark's car would make it to the end.

I was absolutely non-plussed when Seb crossed the line, but I have to admit to being surprised how much and how quickly my attitude to him and his achievement changed with the impromptu doughnut, and throwing gloves into the crowd. He could have acknowledged the marshals a bit, but no-one is perfect.

Well done, Seb.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Incredible dominance from RB and Vettel this year!^:)^=D=

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Kimi's driven his last race for Lotus- down with back surgery for the remainder of the season. Off to SF!

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yep and more news:

* Felipe Massa (BRA) has signed for Williams next year, driving with Valterri Bottas (FIN)
    * Sergio Perez (MEX) has been dumped in favour of Kevin Magnussen (DNK) at McLaren
    * If Quantum Capital's funds don't come through, Lotus will take Pastor Maldonado (VEN). If the funds do come through, then they will take Hulkenberg (GER) (and Quantum's exec co have said this publicly)
    * Hulk may therefore go to Force India (again) to partner Paul di Resta (GBR). If he doesn't, then Sutil (GER) will be out in favour of Maldonado and his money (di Resta, despite a string of DNFs, has doubled Sutil's points tally)

Interesting times ahead.

And yes, Kimi's decision means he'll be fighting fit for Ferrari, and will cost Lotus around $6mil in lost earnings.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, just watching a replay of quali for the US grand prix. I have to confess, I really love this circuit.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Americans! Watch your grand prix!

18. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    We are! But they keep cutting to commercials or Will Buxton eating chili.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok so like 2011, Vettel is in his own world and the rest of the pack is where interest lies. Great overtakes so far, and Bottas!

20. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. best podium ever.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, so since Ender prodded me, I watched this race. It was certainly more interesting than that bore-fest NASCAR, although I still don't get the fascination.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I missed the podium as the race was 6am to 8am local time and I had to get to work. I'll check it out later though.

Honestly, the race was... interesting. But not in a good way. Vettel's domination and the wrap-up of the driver and constructor titles meant there was little to fight for anymore. I genuinely love the circuit and it provided some fantastic overtaking moments, but all in all - what for? Seb's untouchable and it's like 2013 again.

Jello - the sport really suffers when there's no tension. When it's neck and neck in the points scorings and one driver's chasing another, then it's gripping. But when you have a German schooling the track like it's Poland in the late 1930s... and there's no prizes left to claim... it doesn't offer much. The best result of the race, in my view, was Valterri Bottas in the Williams getting 4 points for the team.

(By way of background, Iello, WilliamsF1 is a team that has won several titles in the past and used to be a powerhouse but since its last title in 1996 has really struggled for results. They hope to come back and fight at the front and put a lot of faith in their young Finnish driver, who came good today).

If you want to see what we love about F1, then some races from the last few years would be worth checking out. Have you seen Rush or Senna?

Ricciardo, in a car that's not fantastic (if we are being honest) continued to impress and I can't wait to see him in car #2 at Red Bull.

Hamilton... man, when that guy is happy, you hear it. When he's not... wow.

If Maldonado goes to Lotus, I'm burning my Lotus GP shirt.

23. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    There were technical difficulties. I don't know if it was just on the feed here in the US on NBC but it was just a loud buzzing followed by "And now to interview the winners" followed by more loud buzzing and then cut to commercial for 15 minutes while they figured out what was going on.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Transcript up on official website:
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/11/15272.html

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The USA race should be at Road America.