main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2015 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 4, 2015.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Same concept from the threads that Souderwan initiated the past two years; this is where we post our fitness goals, discuss our progress and support each other. :)

I'm starting out 2015 on the wrong foot--literally--I'm recovering from stress fractures and may not be able to run again until late this month or early February. Lesson learned, kids: replace your running shoes in a timely manner and use compression socks and inserts.

But that said...I know how to add a shot of tequila and a dash of salt when life hands out limes, so I'm grabbing the racing suit and goggles and long-hair swim cap and getting back in the pool; lap-swimming workouts until I can get back on the greenway. I was considering training for a tri anyway and this was the decision-maker.

So...goals:

1. Do one tri and one half-marathon this year.

2. Vary workouts more. I focused almost entirely on running last year, and running is awesome but variety is good, as is strength training, which I don't do enough of.

3. Last year I only worked out 2-3 times a week, I want to get in a full workout four days a week this year.

And...your turn.

2. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i'm gonna lose 5 kgs and get my mothers dog, who is currently living with me for fat camp, down the last 3 kgs.

maybe go for a run at some point. who knows.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Not die.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Lift more. Run more.

5. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Sorry to hear about the stress fractures :-(

Have you tried running with a forefoot/midfoot strike? I know it's hard as hell to change a gait that's seen some mileage but it might be worth a try.

My main goal right now is to strict one arm press a 48kg/106lb kettlebell by May. I'm signed up for an advanced kettlebell instructor course and it's the one thing in the battery of physical tests that I can't do yet.

6. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I am already down 11 pounds from my highest weight evah after losing my grandmother and having an internal organ to decide to explode while I was teaching class. I have been making sure to walk at least 10k, 5 miles a day. I also am going to get into the pool and swim at least 2 times a week. I also want to run a mile twice a week. Even though I enjoy running, my body does not. I am also a grad student so I know that fitness is not going to be my first priority each week and that is ok! The main goal is to lose 70 pounds, but I am sure my DR wants it to be closer to 100 pounds. I am a fat ass [face_sigh]

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i'm boxing in april. i'm down the club on wednesday night to work out a plan with my trainer. i'll come back with my goals as soon as we've thrashed them out. i rip started the pie hoover over xmas, so there's a fair bit of work to be done.

good luck everyone

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Hoom for 2015 I want to run more consistently, but would like to maintain weight/measurements. I already restarted my gym membership again (I got too poor end of the year) so there shouldn't be any issue.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I gotta let my back heal (I've been told that full recovery could take up to two years). The best thing I can do for that, right now, is walking. I've been walking every day, and I'll gradually increase the distance as time goes on. I've also been doing my physical therapy exercises, which are pretty mellow, considering I'm only a couple of weeks out from surgery,, but they're helping. So, I guess my goal for this year is to gradually recover and become stronger.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    slightly_unhinged : I'm definitely a heel runner and because I messed up my right ankle 11 years ago (unfortunately, from a Jar-Jar Binks style incident as opposed to exercise), I think I favor my left foot, which is where the fractures are. I'm assuming changing stride would just take a lot of focus?

Good luck everyone, and BigAl6ft6 , yeah, no dying allowed.

MOC Yak Face, Souderwan and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    The more running you've done with a heel strike, the tougher it is. Having said that, the biggest difficulty is getting mileage in without reverting to the old gait, so post injury is a good time to try. Tomorrow I'll see if I can dig out some low impact drills for transitioning to fore/mid strike.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    At the start of December a work colleague of mine saw a running coach in preparation for a marathon. He pretty much changed his whole running style, from his gait, to the way he moved his arms, to his breathing. He adapted pretty quickly. The course of lessons sounded a bit pricey though.

13. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks for starting this thread, @anakinsfansince1983. I'm going to be pretty busy these next few months so I new I wouldn't really be able to participate in this thread very much.

My personal fitness goals for this year are going to be fitbit-focused. I'm a huge fan because it keeps me off my butt. I can't help but run/walk in place when I'm at home watching TV these days, which has done wonders for keeping me active. You'd be amazed how much of a sweat you can work up by running in place for a couple hours.

My goal is do at least 10k steps per day and 5 miles. I'll also be doing at least 1 30 day challenge each month. I plan to go for 2 or 3, though--at least until the wedding in April. :p I've already started the squat challenge. It's been...painful. :p

I completely changed my running gait in 2013. It took just over 3 months of consistent practice, but it's made all the difference in the world. I haven't had a running-related injury (not related to clumsiness, anyway) since. I agree with @slightly-unhinged that it's worth working starting during your recovery period.

14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Loving your work, everyone. I will be trying, again, to run a sub-3.30 marathon. I have 42 seconds standing in my way!

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I had a pretty useless 2014, so I have extra weight to lose.

My goal is to start slow - wake up an hour earlier, walk for a half hour in the morning, and walk for an hour after work. Give that a month, and build.

Thank you as always for this thread - good to have friends fighting the same battle.

16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I lost 20 kilos in 2014, would not mind losing 6-10 more in order to feel completely fit.

Oh, and cycle 50-100 km per week, depending on the time of the year.

17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    This is great. I love this thread.

18. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I want to run a half marathon in under 2 hours since I missed that mark in November 7 minutes.

19. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    As many of you know, I just moved so it turns out the new place is not very runner-friendly. I haven't seen any decent park and there's almost no sidewalks. My goal for now is to find a relatively safe route or at least a good gym and settle for treadmill running, at least for the time being.

At home I can do some yoga and other things. But I wish I'd be able to run a couple miles 4-5 times a week.

20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I've had a similar problem when it comes to running. I have plenty of space, but a few of our neighbors have taken to letting their dogs wander untethered in their front yards and I'm not interested in getting chased by a dog when I go running.

On the upside, there's a school less than a mile away that has a great track that I can run around. On the downside, it's running around a track.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I'd be happy with a track, that's much better than a treadmill and safer than on the roads. We did drive around the block the other day and noticed two large dogs with no leash. That's a whole lot of nope in my book.

How do you get to use a school track? Do all schools allow this or what? I'd like to know more because that sounds like a good idea.

Souderwan and MOC Yak Face like this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Cushy's goal for 2015 is to rebuild my arm and chest strength by wheeling outside a lot more and to strive and regain the ability to walk short distances on my forearm crutches consistently by year's end. I haven't really been able to walk at all for nearly two years now.

23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Good on you Cushy. There's a school track not far from where I live which is quite widely used by the public outside school activity hours.

Souderwan and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, Yak. :) In my High School days Cushy wheeled around the track as part of Special Ed. Did weight lifting too. Miss that. I would *love* to be able to get access to a thing that looks like one wheel almost of a bike that you pedal with hands instead of feet. I could usually go 1.5-1.8 mi in 10 mins on it and on good days 2.2. I also miss the rowing machine. But, these last four years have been tough so Cushy starting slow. :)

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  25. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Those racing chairs are incredible machines. Sometimes at events I enter I'm very tempted to catch a tow!