main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2015 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 4, 2015.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Thanks (all)

Because of the emergency course shortening it was was a strange 6.79 miles, making the time (and this is an official race) pretty meaningless. My pace was 8:36/mile. It's funny how your body works. I don't know if it's because my brain knew the course was shorter or because I went faster than planned but I was basically as tired as if I'd done a half when it was over.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I'm sure your mental prep for a half left your body drained when it was over. So now you're going to find another half to enter and complete, right? :D

3. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    That's the annoying part. The plan was to get my sub 2 hr half in this time so now I do feel like I'll have to do another.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I've had 0 motivation or interest in gyming the past 2 weeks. I think I went once. I'm not sure if it's the cold or what, but just...absolutely no motivation :(

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  5. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I haven't worked out since the middle of October because I had Homecoming, Comps, Conference presentation and then the White House. I have been spread thin.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My son and I are trying the Runner's World Running Streak from today until New Year's. One mile per day. Of course we're doing a 5K next weekend so we'll triple that distance then.

I have still not regained my PR from before I got injured almost a year ago, which is pretty discouraging, but I'm trying to focus more on having fun with running and being strong as opposed to getting faster.

7. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I completed my second PT session. Not only did I make it to the end this time, the trainer said there were obvious improvements!

BUT it was too hot to sleep so I am tired and achey and cranky, and I am blaming it on the PT session and not the weather. :p

8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm a week and a half out from my 10k PB attempt. Work and a head cold have derailed me slightly. Tonight I'm going to attempt 3 x 2miles at 10k target pace with 5 minute jog recovery. I'm told that if I can nail this a week and a half out my PB is a lock. There are only two problems with this:

1. I don't believe it.
    2. Even if I did, I don't think I can nail that session! :(

soitscometothis and Sarge like this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Couldn't hold target pace on the last repeat, but fairly close. I have to say that's the hardest workout I've done in a long, long time. It was hot too! I think I'll struggle to go sub-40 in the race, but hopefully I can do a PB of sub 40.45.

Sarge, soitscometothis and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

They didn't shorten it last year despite bad weather warnings and received a flood of complaints. So this year, at the first sign of uncooperative weather, they decided in favor of safety.

11. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001

Wimps! I was there last year. Yes running in freezing rain absolutely sucked but I'll take that any day over months of prep to then run basically half the planned distance. Oh well, I can appreciate their conundrum.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  12. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I haven't gone out for a run in the past week or longer. I should go back soon before the little improvement I made goes away :p

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    If it makes you feel any better, they received a flood of complaints this year too. Act on the side of caution, people are upset. Act on the side of what was planned, people are upset. Disney really can't win with everyone in situations like that, but it's always best to take the side of caution when dealing with the safety of the public and your customers, imo.

14. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    41.48 for my 10k race. Over a minute slower than my PB. Ah well, back to the drawing board!

15. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Went to my 3rd PT session. IT NEARLY KILLED ME. I feel worse than I did after my first one. WHYYYY??? :(

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    MYF, I'd give my right leg to still manage a 41:48 10k. Keep up the good work.

You too, Yvette. It takes more than 3 sessions to feel better. But you're on the right track; keep moving forward and it will get better.

We're having an unexpected warm spell here, and I've been able to ditch the long pants and go jogging in shorts the last couple of days. Why is it that I can run so much better in shorts?

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks Sarge. Yeah, I can't complain. It's a decent time for me and it's what the last few weeks of training pointed to.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I was never very big to begin with but I lost 50 lbs over the summer, and now I'm working out and building up muscle. I feel like Tobey Maguire in the first Spider Man movie, looking at myself in the mirror going "when the hell did this happen?". I never thought I'd be able to turn myself on.
    Craziest part is I lost those 50 lbs eating nothing but McDonalds(and working in a really hot green house). Its pretty nice although the east indian guy at the gas station by my house was concerned for my wellbeing lol, maybe losing over a quarter of my body weight in the span of a few months is a little too much

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    As previously mentioned, to cope with an abundance of stress in my life, I'd been going to the gym every day for months. Over the past weeks, I've been balancing lifting with an increased running schedule. My body is reflecting the effort, but my muscles are especially pained if I, say, sit down in the same spot for an hour. My muscles in my legs, specifically, hurt incredibly. Which is pretty crappy since I spend several hours every week driving.

20. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Although I never feel like it at the time, I find post-run stretching helps reduce leg pain from running. A sports massage once in awhile is also helpful to flush out toxins.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I suppose I'm not stretching enough afterwards. That could definitely be it.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I know a lot of athletes who believe that the after-stretching is more important than the before-stretching, especially when it comes to reducing soreness.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    You also need recovery time after working out, so if you are doing it every day you should take a day or two off every now and then. Especially if you're feeling physical results like that. Maybe switch it up with some yoga in there on some days instead of just lifting or running everyday, if you're not already doing that.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I do lunges before and stretch after. I end up with sore hamstrings and Achilles if I don't stretch after.

And definitely watch the frequency and intensity. You don't want a stress fracture.

MOC Yak Face, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I have a challenging situation health and exercise-wise. I really need to exercise more for health, and I'm trying to get on the path to losing some weight. I'm within normal BMI range, but I did gain about 20 pounds in 2 months last year for somewhat unknown reasons that are still being tested.

I've lost about 4 pounds since Thanksgiving and am really trying to just cut my calories back to 1500 or below a day to lose a pound a week. trouble is, it's really hard for me to contribute to this calorie loss (plus overall health) with exercise. I have three herniated discs in my back, so running is out of the question. I can walk, but even speed walking is tough.

What I really want to do is swim. My pain doctor said to avoid freestyle and do breaststroke, which is my best stroke anyway (I was on swim team as a kid and teenager). My question to those of you who do swim... about what temp should the water be? As a kid we swam a lot outside in the morning, but it was Missouri in the summer so it was never too cold. My apartment pool is supposed to be heated, but I want to know about what temp people think is comfortable for prolonged swimming.

You should definitely always stretch after exercising. Stretching before is just to limber up and avoid injuries, but stretching after is what reduces soreness (sometimes greatly). This is because when your body goes into anaerobic exercise, one of the side products is lactic acid. This is what settles in muscles and causes soreness. Stretching them out after you work out helps free up and remove the acid, so it's not just hanging around irritating your muscles.

Yeah, you definitely shouldn't be lifting every day. Every other at most, because how muscle builds is you actually create small tears in the fibers and they then re-grow during the recovery day, getting stronger and larger. So you actually need the recovery day.

Sarge likes this.