main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Celebrity Deadpool (Congratulations Ramza!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jan 3, 2016.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    An immeasurable loss, truly.

Juliet316 and Darth_Furio like this.
  3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    RIP

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Man this year has been something else. RIP to one of the greats.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Butterfly / Bee.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    RIP to the GOAT. I was just talking this morning about how amazing it was watching him light the Olympic torch in Atlanta...

Juliet316 , Rylo Ken and heels1785 like this.
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Frieda, you can stop now. Some Healer.

:p

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ali and Joe Louis will probably be remembered far longer than any other boxers.

Juliet316 and Darth_Furio like this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It was amazing. Especially due to the fact that they kept his appearance a complete surprise.

The Atlanta Olympics were so special, and that is the image that will define them forever.

Juliet316 and dp4m like this.
  10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Good lord 2016 has just been brutal....RIP to the GOAT :(

Juliet316 , G-FETT and yankee8255 like this.
  11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I've had enough of 2016 now!

RIP Ali.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Tributes are all over BBC News this morning. RIP..

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    :( R.I.P. Mr.Ali. @};-

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Don't count the days. Make the days count."

And he did.

RIP. :(

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    [​IMG]

R.I.P @};-

All Heart, all the time.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Maybe as a tribute to Ali it's time to end the scourges of boxing and football. The world would be so much better off without these awful, dangerous, debilitating "sports."

yankee8255 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    So I was just getting my hair cut and they had ESPN2 on which was showing The Rumble in the Jungle. During the post fight interview, the entire shop went silent to listen to Ali. It was pretty cool.

Amazing.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Is it bad that I feel like rewatching the barber shop scenes from Coming to America?

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Neil Leifer is almost the same age as Ali was, and so of course he's getting up there now as well. He was (and I'm sure still is) a phenomenally talented photographer, and it's in part thanks to him that we have some of our most iconic pictures of Ali. Leifer was just 22 when he made his iconic picture of Ali standing over Liston, and 23 when he made the picture he considers his favorite, which was made from above the ring just after Ali knocked out Cleveland Williams. The former picture is iconic in part because Leifer was among only a few photographers to use color film that night.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll probably try to watch the magnificent documentary that chronicles the Rumble, When We Were Kings, sometime this weekend - if you have the opportunity to see it, fight/sports fan or not, it is well worth a watch. Considered one of the finest documentaries of our time.

Darth_Furio and cubman987 like this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    You floated like a butterfly,
    And stung like a bee.
    Great like no other to be
    Rest forever, Ali.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    For those in the UK, BBC1 has changed their programming for this evening and will be presenting Muhammed Ali: The Greatest from 9:30 - 10:30 PM. If you were wanting to watch The Musketeers, you're out of luck as it won't be on. (This is according to the Sky TV program guide).

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Read: "we should ban adults from making decisions about risk in their own lives because I know better than they do what's best for them"

Come on, dude. There have obviously been shameful cover ups in the past, although for most of sports history people just genuinely didn't know better. But there is zero logical argument for banning these sports for adults now. They know the risks. They are adults. They really don't need you to foist your own personal opinion on their life choices that affect no one but themselves.

They don't need you to decide for them what the acceptable level of risk for their chosen profession and passion is, whether they are a boxer, football player, rock climber, diver, welder, construction worker, police officer, bmx biker, etc.

People who knowingly had dangers withheld from them have a right to sue in any field. Current players have the right to quit. But they also have the right to say, "I'm okay with the risks, because this is the only thing I want to do in life." They don't need to rely on you to make that decision for them. They're grown-ups.

For instance, from an interview with Muhammad Ali's wife, she had this to say:

"Does Muhammad express regret?

Muhammad usually has no regrets about anything. The closest he will come is when he will look at a documentary and say, “I was crazy, wasn’t I?” I say, “Yeah, you were!” I think he is amazed at some of the things he did — at his boldness, at times, without being afraid."

Oh you mean he just expressed regret at seeming over-zealous, but not about likely getting brain damage (or having it accelerated) by being punched in the face?

It's almost like he loved what he did and didn't need you to question his personal choices.

I am not at all a boxing fan, but I can appreciate Muhammad Ali as someone who loves many other sports and realizes how special his dominance and passion was. Meanwhile you're basically saying he should have chosen some other profession he wouldn't have liked as much, leading to none of us giving a crap who he was at all, and also leading to him probably not enjoying his life nearly as much.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know about boxing, but I know that football players almost always start when they are minors (children) and begin receiving brain injuries before they have the "choice" as legal adults. People as young as teenagers have suffered from CTE.