main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Celebrity Deadpool (Congratulations Ramza!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jan 3, 2016.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

As a big football fan, I can say the one huge dilemma facing the sport is how it reconciles long term brain damage sustained over years with fans insatiable appetite for hits and tackles. They can't be reconciled really.
    But they're already seriously considering doing away with kickoffs in the NFL and just placing the ball at a spot on the field(as most leg injuries occur during those types of plays), but it still doesn't address the CTE issue.

I'm a Seattle Seahawk fan and one of their best up special teams and WRs, Ricardo Lockette, had his career end this past season during a kickoff return when he was hit and suffered spinal cord damage. He was lucky to walk away with his life. If he had been rolled over on when he fell, as often happens after you're hit and players cover you to keep you from getting back up, he could have died on the field. It was that close.

One day it may actually look like flag football. The public will demand it or it will die.

edit:

Now let me say: RIP ALI. A great humanitarian who broke down barriers and showed you could be a true champion by turning your high profile into a platform for a greater good.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't think a responsible parent can encourage their kids to play football. Hopefully no one under the age of 18 is boxing, but yeah I'd ban those sports if I could. I don't watch boxing, and I never will.

yankee8255, CT-867-5309 and Darth Guy like this.
  3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The only position I wouldn't have an issue with for my kids is a place kicker or punter. But those types of plays are facing greater scrutiny as the returners and cover players face greater risk of injury.

I used to watch boxing way back in the Tyson days until he made his comeback and bit part of Evander Holyfields ears off….twice!

It's a corrupt sport on top of everything else.

Ali's bouts with Frazier are blamed for helping speed his debilitating condition post-retirement. They were brutal.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Ali's battle with Shavers and his "fight" with Holmes did a remarkable amount of damage. He was in awful shape for the bout against Holmes, being on a "medication" that placed him in danger of dying from heat stroke, and dealing with the beginnings of Parkinson's on top of that (along with the general problems of being an older fighter in a young man's sport). Holmes is said to have held back some at times, but still delivered the worst beating of Ali's career.

5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, it was Holmes I was specifically thinking of being brutal, not Frazier(although those were bad too). But yeah, it is the Holmes fight that is often cited as the really bad one. He really should've retired after beating Frazier the third time.

edit: I incorrectly said Ali beating Frazier the second time. That was his THIRD time in the Thrilla in Manila. I forgot the in-between non title bout between Fight of the Century and Manila.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Manila should definitely have been the end. It would have been a tremendous way to go out, right up there with Jordan's last-second shot (greater still, if such a thing is possible). Of course, some of the same things that made them transcendent are what drew both of them back for more.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Exactly. You can't have that kind of drive and just switch it off for "legacy" or whatever. That's not how life works when you're in a moment. You want to keep going. There are exceptions but people usually burn out not go out with a bang.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

I am happy to actively encourage my kids to play football.
    That being said, I'm British and we play football with our feet.

In other news Brian May was trending on Twitter a moment ago and I panicked for a moment

yankee8255 and Rylo Ken like this.
  9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not a fan of that crop.

[​IMG]

That's the actual picture.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Ali knocking out Cleveland Williams

[​IMG]

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Depending on who you ask, it's either the picture above or the one of Ali standing over Liston that's the best sports picture made in the 20th century (the picture of Orr flying and the Miracle on Ice picture seem to consistently place just below). Both are Leifer's. Leifer is no doubt visible somewhere in this picture, and in looking closely at it, I'm betting he's the man in blue on the top left part of the ring. One hand's on what looks to be a Rolleiflex, the other is triggering the overhead camera. The balding man further down (three white shirts from the bottom of the row) is the senior SI photographer, and he's visible between Liston's legs in Leifer's picture of Ali in 1965.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Gordie Howe has passed away at age 88.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    For anyone unfamiliar with Gordie Howe, his first season in the NHL was 1946 - his last was 1980, during which he played 80 games for Hartford at age 52.

Another irreplaceable legend, and great human being gone.

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Aw RIP Gordie :(

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    We've gone from legendary musicians to legendary athletes.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Something tells me Bill Russell will be next, then.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just saw the news about Howe on the BBC website..RIP..

21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I loved Gordie Howe in Foul Play with Chevy Chase.

R.I.P. you will be missed!

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Gordie Howe story. I worked in a mall, wore a suit, we did not have a bathroom for our store so i went to a basement level mall bathroom. Came back up an escalator and turned left and on my right a group of men were walking right next to me all dressed up. Around a corner we go and a seated crowd stands and starts to cheer at us. "What the hell?" I look to my right and an arm length away is Gordie Howe and his security. I just drifted off to the left and let them pass.

23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Fat dude from PM Dawn. @};-

Darth Punk likes this.
  24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    He's been set adrift on memory bliss

vin likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Actress Ann Morgan Guilbert at age 87. Amongst other roles (and for those old enough to remember), she played the neighbor Millie on the old Dick Van Dyke show.