main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Celebrity Deadpool (Congratulations Ramza!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jan 3, 2016.

1. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    My wife is 2 years vegetarian. Mostly because she loves animals and the guilt destroys her. She doesn't mind when I eat thick slices bacon a on cheeseburger.

dp4m likes this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    vin's married - wtf

how inhumain, and unsustainable.

yankee8255 likes this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Never argue with solojones if you value your time on this planet.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    He has also spawned.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That's a pretty mean thing to say. I didn't see it as arguing all... Tom asked me some questions and I tried to give a thoughtful response. I'm sorry that you and Debo seem to think this is a great opportunity to be mean to me. I'm not quite sure what's so offensive to you about someone who puts thought into things.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm sorry, I take it back.

Diggy , solojones and Darth Punk like this.
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks Watto, no hard feelings.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It says a lot about the insatiable bloodlust of 2016 that I'm relieved there was finally a long enough break for a nice derail.

jcgoble3, Darth Punk , MrZAP and 3 others like this.
  9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't know, this derailment had me missing announcements of the dead.

JoinTheSchwarz and jp-30 like this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I do that also! People think I'm crazy. They think I'm even crazier if I end up having to kill a bug because I will actually say a little apology. Like, "Oh, sorry, buddy." Yesterday, I was going to park my car and I was actively trying to make a fly leave so it wouldn't get shut up in the car and die. But I still eat meat. I mean, I know why I shouldn't, but it's definitely one of my vices. I get the whole cognitive dissonance thing; if I had to personally kill the animals I was going to eat, I would obviously just be eating leaves for the rest of my life. But it's a vice I just . . . it's one of the few areas in my life where I just consistently fall down on what I know the right thing to do is. I guess I frankly just live in a way I know I shouldn't and I try to minimize those areas of my life. But eating meat is one of them. I'm eating less now than I ever have before, which is good, I guess, but like you say, the dairy industry is pretty sketchy too and cheese is just not something I can give up either. Food is an issue for me in terms of self-control. But this is why I can't judge people too harshly for things like being addicted to heroin. I mean, look, if you're addicted to heroin you need to stop using heroin; that's true. However, just as a balancing point, I have never once been able to take the small serving size out of a bag of potato chips and then not eat anymore. So, I guess it keeps me humble. Or it should anyway.

tom, MrZAP and Ghost like this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    One time I showered with a spider because it was in the shower and I did not want to remove or harm it.

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    The actual term for that is akrasia and I agree that it's a weird and annoying cognitive dissonance thing. I don't eat a lot of meat or animal products either, but I'm definitely not a vegetarian. And I have plenty of reasons to want to be different. I buy into the environmental argument and the argument that vegetarianism or at least a Mediterranean diet is on the whole healthier, and I have strong moral objections to killing anything for food besides (I really don't care about animal suffering before they're eaten. If we treat them well only to ultimately kill and eat them I think that misses the main point, which is that we're still killing and eating them.). But I was raised in an omnivorous household, and I like meat and dairy. Not all of it. Some things are easy for me to do without; I don't really like beef or pork or poultry very much, for example. But I love seafood, and I love lamb, and I love a good slice of Feta. I almost never buy/cook meat or even dairy (I use soymilk), but I'll certainly eat it when going out or when a guest somewhere, and quite frankly I don't really want to give it up.

So yeah, it's a hard thing, and I don't claim moral high ground. But I acknowledge that the arguments against it are still quite valid and I hope that eventually I'll cut more and more out of my diet and be done with it, but it's a journey.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I hope another celebrity dies soon.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Be careful what you wish for...

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and Palmer has passed away.

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    lol - John Lennon still hogs this death date

Thanks again for that, Murica

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

Seems legit.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    John Glenn passed away today. "God Speed John Glenn."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Invidious and Sarge like this.
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Look what you did jp.

MrZAP, Darth Punk , Ghost and 9 others like this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    One of the thrills of my life was meeting John Glenn at an event at COSI in Columbus, Ohio when he was still a Senator, after his Space Shuttle flight.

jcgoble3, Sarge, yankee8255 and 3 others like this.
  22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

May the good Lord ride with you all the way.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's amazing. I've still never met an astronaut, but I did get to meet Apollo Flight Director Gene Kranz (aka Ed Harris's character from Apollo 13) last year at a talk he gave in Kansas City. That was pretty humbling.

All things considered, John Glenn had a pretty long and fruitful life. 95 years old, wow. When he was born, planes had only been flying for 18 years. Goddard's first modern, liquid fuel rocket wouldn't fly for another five years. And yet Glenn would go to space, including in his 70s. Then live almost 20 more years. Pretty incredible.

.... And now I'm realizing he was also portrayed by Ed Harris in The Right Stuff. I guess the secret to a long life if you're a space guy is to have Ed Harris play you in a movie.

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Glenn and Armstrong were the two biggest heroes of U.S. manned space flight, now both gone. Their deaths are both symbolic of the end of the American Century, not that we needed any more symbolism for it now that we have Donald Trump.