main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I like how everyone except Mercedes came up with good looking cars for 2016.

2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    So HAAS will be the back markers this year, yes?

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, I think not.

Firstly, they scored one of the best drivers on the grid in Romain Grosjean. Given the love Renault has for him it's hard to imagine he'd have left them and their injection of cash to the team to go backwards (plus you have to figure now that Renault is fully in the sport their power units will be exponentially better).

Secondly, they've had access to Ferrari's wind-tunnel, Ferrari's power unit, and all the Ferrari parts they're legally allowed to carry. No other Ferrari engined car in 2015 had this level of access.

Thirdly, this is not Gene Haas' first time in motorsport. He has money, a brand, and reach - accordingly I would suggest that he hasn't entered into F1 to sit up the back. Haas have set a goal for 2016 to score points; I would imagine they'll do that in the first 6 races.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I didn't know the second, but was full aware of the first and third. I know the racing history, but I wasn't sure if the car design would be up to snuff. I'd be happy to see them do decently well this year.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah they're basically a Ferrari partnership team at this point. Hence the team's second driver being a Ferrari young driver.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  6. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I love Matte paint job on the Red Bull. I hope the testing sessions translate into the season. Forza Ferrari!

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Mercedes will still win and have drivers with spoilt child personalities.

8. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    In that case I'd at least like to see progress, ala Schumi in 1997. 1996 was nice with three wins and the "Rain in Spain" performance was breath taking. In 1997 MS almost took the title, Jerez of course wasn't cool, but MS almost had it that year. More from Riccardo would be nice too.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree, I want my boy to win again but let's face it - nothing I said was untrue. Mercedes will still dominate, and Rosberg and Hamilton will still be utter chumps personality-wise.

yankee8255 likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Williams signed Di Resta as their reserve driver - good to see him back close to the top level. Always pulled for him at Force India.

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Watching F1 quali on my phone on a Friday afternoon.

As it stands in FP1:

1) RIC 1:32.394
    2) KVY +1.729s
    3) ALO +4.563
    4) VES +7.681
    5) RAI +8.360
    6) HAM +8.418
    7) ROS
    8) PAL

(Lost the times off screen for the last two).

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    7) BUT +10.823
    8) ROS +11.643
    9) GUT +13.377
    10) PAL +13.378
    11) MAG +13.715

Thanks for the reminder. I'm now watching live on NBCSN here in the U.S.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The HAAS is on now. Doesn't look great on screen.

Sky has Antony Davidson talking; who will US networks have besides Will Buxton?

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Grosjean popped in to P8 about 11.1 seconds off P1, and then GUT immediately topped him to jump to P7 at +9.4. At least they're not the slowest cars out there, and they might be able to steal a point or two sometime this season.

Not sure who the U.S. commentators are.

15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Per the opening of the FP2 broadcast, the U.S. commentators are Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs, Steve Matchett, and Will Buxton.

FP2 looks like it's going to be very wet.

EDIT: Rosberg spun into the wall, destroyed his front wing, and couldn't get back to the pits. Couldn't have happened to a better driver. [face_laugh]

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Rosbereg is arguably the first victim of the radio messaging ban. Toto says they could not tell him the track was wetter in that part.

34 minutes into Practice Two on my screen, Sky Sports F1.

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    No FP3 broadcast in the U.S. this week. Hoping the qualifying broadcast runs as scheduled and that the triple overtime collegiate hockey game that just finished NBCSN doesn't result in the whole evening's broadcast schedule getting pushed back or F1 getting preempted. It will result in the second hockey game being pushed back since that's on the same ice, and then there's curling and track and field broadcasts originally scheduled afterward before F1 quals come on at 2am ET. U.S. television broadcasters (all of them, not just NBCSN) are really bad about letting the Big Four sports (baseball, basketball, ice hockey, and American football) postpone or preempt broadcasts of "lesser" sports like motor racing.

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Two thumbs down to the new qualifying format. It sucks.

EDIT: The U.S. commentators agree with me. They just completely ripped the format to shreds, pointing out everything wrong with it.

I expect that this format won't last more than a few events before unanimous agreement is reached to kill it and go back to the old format.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    FORZA FERRARI!

What a start. lol @ Mercedes.

Good overtake from Danny Ric on the Hulk.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Welcome back titanium skid plates, we missed the fireworks.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't care that it's 1am and everyone else is asleep. I yelled "GO FERRARI!" when Vettel took the lead on that incredible start. I hate Mercedes that much. :D

22. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    That was a big crash. Pretty lucky.

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The U.S. broadcast was showing Gutierrez in the gravel pit, and it took them a good twenty seconds, I think, to realize there was a second car in the picture, as unrecognizable as the remains of Alonso's car were. Took me even longer. He dodged a bullet there.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah hectic crash. Boring that the least likeable drivers are back in 1 2 but hopefully Seb can ruin Rosberg's day. Or Rosberg can just have an electrical failure.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Or they can take eight points in their first race. :D :D :D [face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag]