main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Lap 60 of the Brazilian 2016 grand prix - where I finally elevated Max Verstappen to you are ******* awesome.

Scything through that field of tentative super heroes. Ricciardo and Alonso also did some overtaking, but Max, at least with Daniel, led the way.

Well done, Lewis. Finally winning in the tenth go.

Rosberg only needs a podium in Abu Dabai(sp?), so congrats on his first title.

A dry tear in my eye when Mercedes' engineers lined up to applaud Massa. A sad end to his last home race.

Ender Sai and heels1785 like this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Shame Hamilton had that busted engine a few races back otherwise we'd be in for one hell of a duel in Abu Dhabi. I don't even like Merc but that would've been great. Rosberg is all but assured the title unless he ends up getting a busted engine or Hamilton cuts a deal with the Red Bull drivers.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Not necessarily. Rosberg leads by 12 points. If Hamilton finishes first and has a Ferrari/Red Bull podium with him - relegating Rosberg to P4 and 12 pts, Hamilton wins by 1.

That's unlikely as 2nd (18pts) or 3rd (15pts) gives Rosberg the win. However, if he has to overtake, Rosberg's in trouble as he hasn't got an aggressive craft and can't do it cleanly.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well congrats to Rosberg - Must admit I really didn't think he had it in him.

Commiserations to Lewis - He can at least console himself that is it wasn't for those three engine failures (compared to Rosberg's none) he'd have retained his title quite comfortably.

Farewell JB and thanks for all the good times! ^:)^

See ya'all in 2017!

6. x_SwordoftheJedi_x

x_SwordoftheJedi_x Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2008
    I must admit, I wasn't really bothered who won the Championship, since I don't much like either of them, but congrats to Rosberg and I suppose it is nice to see a new world champion.

A bit disappointed Vettel didn't end up winning this race, in those last several laps I really thought he was going to do it, but in the end he just ran out of laps I think.

Sad that JB didn't get to finish, going to miss my favourite driver next year. The post-race interview DC and Webber did with him was brilliant though, hope JB joins the Channel 4 team at some point as those three together would be comedy gold.

Looking forward to 2017 where I hope we'll get a lot more competitiveness from the other teams.

yankee8255 likes this.
  7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Congrats to Rosberg. Bit silly for Mercedes to criticise Hamilton for driving slowly, of course he was going to do that. It was stupid for them to ask him to speed up.

x_SwordoftheJedi_x and Ender Sai like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Is it next season yet? I admit, I tuned out for much of the races after Monaco.

Good work, Nico. You little ****.

Darth_Furio , Sith-I-5 and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not really, no.

For Hamilton it was logical to try such a thing, but Mercedes isn't Hamilton, it couldn't care less what Hamilton wants. What Mercedes wants, is to win the constructors championship and win every race they can win. So when Hamilton uses a method that puts a Mercedes victory in danger because he follows his own interests, it very much is logical that Mercedes wants him to drive faster.

Besides, Hamilton needed to win. Bringing others closer to Rosberg only to lose out to Vettel himself would have made things worse for him. In such an instance, asking him to drive faster actually helps Hamilton's position. Make that race last 2-3 laps longer and Vettel will pass Rosberg and likely take down Hamilton as well, because Hamilton could either drive faster to stay ahead of Vettel - in which case Verstappen likely can't keep up with Rosberg - or he can continue to drive slowly, in which case Vettel will get past him. Neither option really helps him.

In other words: you cannot blame Hamilton for thinking only about himself, but you also cannot blame for Mercedes for trying to protect its own interests, regardless of what one of the drivers wants.

Darth_Furio and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Well Mercedes had already won the constructors championship, comfortably. If Vettel ends up winning and it's a 2/3 finish for Mercedes, who really cares? No one will remember that. Hamilton is playing for a drivers championship that everyone will remember.

And no, driving faster would never have helped his position. If he drives faster he wins and Rosbery doesn't finish 4th. Which is exactly what happened. So how does that help him exactly? He's lost the championship. If you're Hamilton you risk losing the race for the chance that Rosberg drops to 4th and you can hold off Ferrari. You do that every time, and the team shouldn't tell Lewis not to. Rosberg would have done exactly the same thing.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Nice to see Vettel put down the Red Bulls in those last laps, I bet it felt good. I am really hoping Ferrari is competitive next season, I mean I'll still tune in but I need to see the prancing horse kick ass again. It's about time.

Good for Rosberg, backing into the championship (pardon the pun :p) LH is the better driver but Rosberg took advantage when he could and won. I still dislike both of them significabntly.

x_SwordoftheJedi_x and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, you just beat me!

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm relatively sure he'll be back within a year or two. I know I rag on him a lot, but he's a tremendously talented driver, and I actually hate to see him leave the sport.

16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Where do all retired F1 drivers go these days? The WEC. There's been some rumbling that Alonso will go to Porsche in the WEC soon(ish), and that Lieb who was told he will not have a drive in the 919 next year is rumored to be heading to the works GTE program.

I don't think this is like when Kimi left did rallye in the IRC, then came back a few years later.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    My understanding of FIA regulations is that his retirement isn't official until Ender has ridiculed him

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    I can't see him coming back either.

So, who replaces him?

19. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, that's been done time and again so I think we're good there.
    Better question: Who wants to work with Hamilton?

If you can answer that, I think you'll have your answer.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Guess Hamilton has taken over my top spot for most disliked driver. Go Red Bull!

21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :D

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I think Nico, like Jenson or even James Hunt, wanted to win the title once and that's it.

Darth_Furio and heels1785 like this.
  23. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think there's an element of that, but I think there's possibly also a portion of it that is that you want to go out at the time so that there is likely less room to ask if it was really skill/management of material or the car itself.

24. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Very few drivers have ever elevated terrible equipment into a race winning contender. Example: 1996 Michael Schumacher at Ferrari. ^:)^

Nico has had numerous average cars and never brought them home to win a race, even an incident filled race where he could have gotten lucky. I think it was mostly the car that won him his championship. I say mostly because he is very good at managing the car and his tires. See Lewis blowing up his engine multiple times more than Nico while at Mercedes. You might say it's the engine itself, but I would wager the driver has a great deal to do with keeping an engine healthy over the race life of it. Nico took care of his car this season and he was rewarded for it. That's just my opinion anyway.

Also, I don't think he's coming back either.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    The thing that a lot of detractors of Lewis don't seem to get, is that he improves where he has issues.

Can pass everyone easily except Massa during 2011...although I still worried whenever he came up behind Felipe as recently as 2016, Hamilton just spurts past him, not giving him a chance to do anything crazy.

Burns up his tyres quicker than team mate? Yeah, during his first year with Mercedes, but he overcame it.

Now this, if an engine fails, he must be the reason because he is pushing it too hard. After all the previous engine/PU failures this year, he was nursing the **** out of the one in Malaysia, just hoping it would get to the end, and the ******* thing still burst into flames.

G-FETT likes this.