main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I get girled all the time. You get used to it! :p

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I girl people...OK, sometimes.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  3. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I don't care about getting 'girled'. Just realized watching that race how slow I still am.

4. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, I was just being facetious. I agree, it's pretty scary watching elite athletes at work. I don't think I could keep up with a world class marathoner for any more than a couple of hundred metres, if that!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    e
    Yeah then I get stupid sometimes and run too fast to start my run and pay for it later but I'm trying to be more patient. It doesn't hurt me on a three mile run but does of course on longer ones.

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Today I did my first tempo run for the year. 2k warm up. 5k tempo. 2k warm down. I did the 5 in 20.36, which I was pretty happy with after a long break from running fast. Might try to do something similar fortnightly. Felt pretty good to have the blood pumping a bit harder.

7. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    Did 5 miles Saturday, 5 miles Sunday and 4 miles of hills yesterday. Will do some type of cross training today.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going through a half-marathon training plan right now in order to get ready for the half I want to do in November. It includes a lot of cross-training so it's good for triathlon training as well.

9. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Got the green light to exercise again, even running if I want to. And if heat/mosquitos allow it...right now temps are in the high 90's. I might do something indoors on weekdays and a little jog on early weekend mornings.

10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

What sort of hill work are you doing? Hill repeats are really good for speed if you're still focusing on getting your time down for 3 miles.

11. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    I was on a trail at a park. I'd say I was climbing at least 50 percent of the time. It was pretty brutal in 90 degree heat. I definitely still want to get faster.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I love the versatility of hills. They can be whatever you want them to be. Speed, strength, endurance. For speed development 200m uphill intervals is a really good workout. Straight up for 200m as fast as you can, walk or jog back down and then go again. Start with three or four and build up to eight to ten.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Last night was flat calm on the lake, stars and full moon reflecting perfectly, loons calling back and forth. What a great night for the first skinnydip of the year.

And there was a shooting star overhead while I was doing the backstroke too!

14. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    The universe approving of its view of your naked backstroking no doubt! :p

Sarge likes this.
  15. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm really struggling to get back to barbell work after focusing on kettlebells for a while. Bar path is off in all of my lifts and the back squat feels like an alien movement right now. I'm reducing weight and focusing on volume until patterning improves. Hopefully things will feel a bit better before the comp in a few weeks :confused:

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Clearly, the very stars themselves were falling from the heavens in awe and envy of my form.

No?

17. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    As if by magic my squat form today felt solid for the first time in weeks. The competition date has also changed to 31st July, so there's more time to prep and I only need a total of 356kg to qualify for Britain's (!?!) so I could get through without even bothering to bench. Looking at last year's results, there's a good chance of a podium finish at Britain's in September. Would be nice to bring home some silverware!

Sarge likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i see you, mofo

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  19. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

Yeah, free on the 17th now but will be prepping for comp... don't s'pose you all want to meet up and deadlift then go someplace to eat three times as much as a human?

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    are you training in london?

21. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Darth Punk No, I've found a powerlifting gym up the road in Barnstaple. Seems to be the only serious strength training facility in North Devon... nowhere does strongman and I have to train with kettlebells at home :-(

I train at the Commando Temple (Deptford) whenever I'm in London.

Darth Punk likes this.
  22. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Due to bad weather and time pressure I passed on my usual long hill run yesterday and did 16k on the flat, the longest flat run I've done for months. The monotonous grind of it was hard! I won't need much encouragement to once again head for the hills...

soitscometothis and StarKiller81 like this.
  23. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    That's almost exactly the length I ran yesterday. I'll do some hills in a couple of days. Hills definitely feel less 'boring'.

soitscometothis and MOC Yak Face like this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, much more interesting and the variety is easier on the body overall I reckon. You work hard grinding up hill, but then there's some rolling flatter stuff and some downhill coasting thrown in there. The fact that you're not generally smashing away on tar seal is also helpful.

Sarge likes this.
  25. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    Definitely. I feel a lot worse running on the pavement of the bike path here. When there's room, I run off to the side of it on the gravel.

MOC Yak Face likes this.