main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Bit of messing around after military press training today practicing some old time strongman stuff. The bent press is a new movement for me and still a bit shaky - lost tension in my lat and pressed out the last inch or two instead of getting deeper under the bell but I'm basically pleased with a decent start - 47kg/103lb dumbell.

Still a LONG way to go to get anywhere near Arthur Saxon. Oldtime strongmen were bloody strong!

[​IMG]

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Went for a 10k trail run in the hills last night. It was steep, muddy, dark and the people I was running with are too fast for me to keep up with. Sounds like fun? Absolutely! :p

3. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I did 10k but just a normal flat run on the bike path. The hills will be tomorrow.

4. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Not every day can be a success. Tried to get the 48kg 'beast' bell on my right today (only managed left at the cert - but one side is good enough for a pass).

I got it overhead, but with waaaaay too much side lean. Need to work on my anti-rotation chain. Disappointed, but I know what to work on and will get that beastie soon! :-D

MOC Yak Face and soitscometothis like this.
  5. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, true. Have to expect those average to awful days in any fitness endeavour and not be too discouraged!

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's hot as hell here and thus slowing me down. But I have been able to work out more and even got in an open-water swim in last weekend.

7. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Nice. Do you swim in the open water much? I love the idea of it, but have never managed to get into it. The open water tends not to be too warm where I live!

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Only during the summer and when I can get myself to my family's property at the lake, which is about an hour's drive. I'm doing a tri in about three weeks with an open-water swim portion so I wanted to make sure I practiced sighting.

My Mom kayaked beside me to make sure I didn't get hit by a boat. :p That's the open-water challenge here, the temperature is usually OK.

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  9. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    I did twelve miles yesterday which is my farthest distance so far. Looking to maybe run first race (half-marathon) next month, and then some marathons later in the year. I also bought my first pair of actual trail running shoes recently. Solomon speed cross 3. Going to test them out this week.

10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Nice job StarKiller81. I've been wearing Salomon XT Wings for a few years and found them great. Will be interested to hear how you find the Speed Cross. I did 18km on the hills yesterday. Lovely conditions so did 3-4 more than I'd planned.

slightly_unhinged and Sarge like this.
  11. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    I tried them
    I tried them today. I loved them. Felt really in control flying down some pretty steep hills.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My Dad gave me some good advice on hill running: lift your knees high.

Had the chance to try that out a couple of days ago and I was surprised at how much of a difference it made in speed.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, knees up and a little shorter stride is what works for me. It's like shifting into a lower gear.

14. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    And try to stay upright as much as possible. It's easy to find yourself leaning into the hill, but staying fairly upright is better.

I'm heading for a hill run in a couple of hours. I'll be trying to keep up with my running buddy who's 5, ok 10% faster than me, so it will be the usual Wednesday night battle. I'm sure it'll benefit me somewhere down the line though!

15. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Two weeks to go until the powerlifting comp and I feel weak as a kitten.

My fault... I cut calories by too much. Trying to trim down for videos/photos to promote my business. Low calories are not conducive to lifting heavy ass weights :-(

Part of me thinks 'it's just a novice comp and I'll easily get a total that will qualify me for the nationals', part of me thinks 'yeah, but I want to win and one of the competitors has a huge deadlift and if I'm going to beat him I'll have to bring my 'A' game'. Might just need to stay fat for another couple of weeks :p

MOC Yak Face and StarKiller81 like this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i have actually been trying to exercise lately but i keep hurting myself. a purple, swollen ankle is my latest disfigurement. might be time to accept i'm getting to old for basketball. :(

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Wobble boards are supposed to be good for strengthening ankles and knees and help in the rehabilitation of injuries to those areas. I keep one in the living room and spend a few minutes balancing on it whenever I remember. If you don't have one it might be worth you picking one up.

Alternatively you could stick to just playing against your kids in the hope they'll throw games because they don't want to see their dad cry.

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This reminds me that I desperately need new running shoes.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I need to stop buying myself new running shoes. I should be buying my sister a present for her birthday, but I've noticed some Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 32s on offer, and I've always wanted to try those. Thing is, I've got three pairs of runners in rotation as it is - I really don't need another pair this year.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Been enjoying putting up the running shoes for a while and focusing back on weights, etc.
    I'm sure my running capacity has already cratered though as a result. Planning on doing my first full marathon early next year so I'll have to ramp back up at this year.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been using Nike Air Zoom Flys for a couple of years. I really like them.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Has barefoot running died out yet?

Kiki-Gonn, Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  23. StarKiller81

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm pretty happy with my Nike RN distance shoes when running on the pavement. I'll probably replace them with the same thing.

24. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

I think it still has its fans, but it seems now that the weight of opinion is that if you didn't grow up running in that style it's pretty difficult and dangerous to transition to it later.

Sarge likes this.
  25. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

Much as I hate to admit that age is a barrier to physical activity in any way, I avoid sports with rapid direction changes. Stupid old joints :-(

Hope the ankle heals quickly!

Sarge, tom and MOC Yak Face like this.