main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Rapid direction changes on hard surfaces especially!

slightly_unhinged and Sarge like this.
  2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Less than 2 weeks until my first powerlifting comp. Squat feels good, bench feels... well, for a silly exercise that you do lying down it feels ok. Deadlift is not there at the moment though. I've booked a chiropractic appointment - feels like my hips are not quite lined up like they should be.

Don't think I'll be carrying home a trophy from this one, but I'll definitely make a qualifying total for the regional competition next March. Pretty confident a good chiropractor and a lot of drilling with lighter weights will fix things in time to pull a decent amount of weight by then.

Kiki-Gonn, heels1785 , Sarge and 5 others like this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    On Monday I did the good old Cooper test. 10 minute warm up, 12 minutes as fast as you can and then warm down. Did 3.02km in the 12 mins. Not bad for a weekend warrior, but some work to do to beat the world record of 4.75km!

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I tried a new yoga for runners session today. 45 minutes and my hamstrings, hip flexors and IT bands are definitely stretched and flexed. Namaste.

5. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    It'll be interesting to see how that impacts on your running.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I went to a yoga class about once a week when I was training for a marathon 11 years ago. I believe it helped me stay injury free in spite of all the miles I was putting in.

7. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I got given some core strengthening exercises to do by a physio when I was training for my marathon last year and I'd say they were a bit yoga-like. I think they were helpful in maintaining running form when tired and, as you say, keeping injuries at bay. Sadly once the race was done laziness set in and I've stopped doing them.

Sarge likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Quick question - I am trying to get back into cardio this week. Taken some time off with starting a new job, and it's certainly caught up with me.

Does anyone use a smart watch/fitness tracker in here? The Apple Watch Sport looks like it's down to its lowest price yet, and I have never had issues with Apple quality, but I know there are some other players out there, namely FitBit. Just wanted to see if anyone has something they really like that they use.

Cheers.

9. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I guess it depends what you're doing. I use a Garmin GPS watch and I find it excellent for running. It gives time, speed, distance, elevation and if you put in personal details it can give you calories burnt and heart rate data as well.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    I use Garmin GPS (foreruuner) also. have been using them since 2013. Sometimes if it's cloudy or you're on narrow built-up streets it can take a couple of minutes to find the satellite (I guess you get this with other GPS devices too) so I combine it with a Timex stopwatch.

Started swimming again last week after a break of a month or so. Would like to enter an aquathlon but just moved house & lots to sort out...

MOC Yak Face and heels1785 like this.
  11. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I did an 18k hill run on Sunday. It was a nice, calm, mild day when I set off at sea level, but 500m above it was freezing cold and blustery. Still very clear and sunny though, so some nice views to distract me from the polar blast in my face!

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Tomorrow night I am doing a 500m swim, 13 mile bike and 5K run triathlon. Part of the run is on trails. It is supposed to be 97 degrees.

I'm filling the water bottle for my bike with nothing but ice cubes.

My aunt asked me to do a similar tri (a little longer distances) with her next month. I told her that I'm in if I survive tomorrow.

13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    All the best with that significant challenge. Look forward to hearing how it goes. I hope you don't have to be taken off a drip to post!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Black Leader

Jan 4, 2016

are you training for a race then ?

15. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

I have a seven week old daughter at home so my training's fairly patchy at the moment, but if I can get a few decent long runs in I might do a local 30k trail race in October, which I've done a few times in the past.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Finished the tri. The lake felt like bath water and I think the body temperature elevation led to my getting dehydrated on the bike. I had to take several minutes with Gatorade in transition 2 and then walk most of the run portion.

If I do this one again I'm guzzling coconut water before and in both transitions.

17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    In those conditions I'd say finished is a fairly decent effort!

18. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Now it's beginning to look like summer in the Bay Area, it hit 95 degrees today. Ended up playing some basketball for 2 and a half hours. Started at 5:30 when it was still 90+ degrees, I was gassed 5 minutes into the first game due to the heat. My friend and I were glad we lost the first game so we could sit down and rest lol. It was a good run overall though, was sweating like hell. Weighed myself this morning, and after I got home, I dropped 2 and a half pounds.

Another funny thing, I did not like doing push ups and pull ups, but I somehow enjoy them now and have made them a part of my gym routine just over the past few weeks. I'm now eager to get both of those in on my gym days!

19. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Powerlifting comp on Sunday, so deloading this week. Snuck in a cheeky bit of cardio after speed deadlifts on Monday. I'm starting yoga next week too... I've let mobility and flexibility slide too much.

MOC Yak Face and Sarge like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I've heard that weight loss from sweating/dehydration comes right back as soon as you're properly hydrated again. Anybody know anything about that?

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That's correct as far as I know. Fighters and wrestlers dehydrate themselves to make weight and then put scary amounts of it back on just by rehydrating. I've done it for jiu-jitsu tournaments a couple of times and the weight comes right back.

It's still a good indicator (IMO) of how hard you worked out though which I think is all windu was saying.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I need to weigh myself as I'm pretty sure I'm going to be thirsty until Saturday. :p

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah
    Yeah, it's been awhile since I've worked out that hard, especially in that type of hot weather. Like posted previously, I was already gassed 5-10 minutes into my first game. Ended up playing 4 games, so by the end, I was drenched in sweat, and I don't even sweat that much.

One good benefit of a hard workout, is how good you sleep. Slept like a baby throughout the night, even though it was still warm as hell!

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

I've been quite shocked at how much weight I've lost after intense workouts, but also at how quickly it goes back on after rehydration. So based on personal experience I'd say that's probably right.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Black Leader

Jan 4, 2016

wouldn't a really intense workout burn fat as well though? (I'm no expert)