main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

It was a good run, finished in 52:52. I felt strong and relaxed, and held a steady pace through the whole thing. If I pushed myself, I'm sure I could run a sub 50 10k this year.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't believe it's been three years since I last ran an 8K competitively. I sucked so hard at those.

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    1.33.45 for the half. Pretty happy with that on the training I did. Lack of speed work certainly made the last 5km fairly hard going. A nice event though. Good fun.

4. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Did a 19 mile trail run today. It's a tough course. The data is here on strava if anyone wants to have a look. https://www.strava.com/activities/723848420
    I tried a pair of Nike Terra Kiger 3's and love them. Great trail shoe for me..

5. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

Nasty looking hill at the start - looks like it was pretty painful on the last lap. Nice job!

MOC Yak Face good job on the half!

MOC Yak Face and StarKiller81 like this.
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Ugh. Hills are the worst.

7. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Hills are the BEST! It's all the other bits I don't have patience for. About the only running I do these days involves prowler sprints or hill sprints. Too old for all that knees bent running around behaviour :p

MOC Yak Face, StarKiller81 and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I am Hillrunner! Hear me roar!

Hills are great when you've trained enough to be good at running up them. It's a great feeling to be powering your way up a steep slope, feeling strong and steady, especially if you're in a race and passing people on the way up.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Question for the runners: have any of you experienced jock itch/athlete's foot or anything similar? I never have, but I've been noticing a blistering-like texture inside one of my thighs this past week. As I stated earlier in this thread, I do run often and it's been incredibly hot out (and I've switched from my usual C9 running attire to trying out Hanes X-treme attire because it's cheaper). There's no pain, discomfort, itch or anything. I honestly wouldn't even know if it was there if I didn't shower daily. :p

Google searches make it seem like it could be either jock itch (but again, there's no itch or discomfort), or a simple heat rash (which I might be inclined to believe because while the Hanes X-treme line is cheaper than C9, they've noticeably been inferior).

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Years ago, I got rashes on the insides of my thighs. I don't anymore. No idea why.

I've had good results from Tinactin for athlete's foot. And of course wash and dry thoroughly between toes after workouts.

11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Did you change anything in your routine that may have caused the rash to vanish? My concern (but admittedly not that much of a concern since I haven't bothered making a doctor's appointment :p) is that it seems to be expanding (though it could be my paranoid imagination after having read all that gross stuff on Google). I believe that the rash was caused by a change in my routine (ie. the switch from C9 to Hanes X).

How long did your rash last?

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's been about 25 years IIRC, and all I remember is that for a while I had tender spots where my thighs chafed. It could have been cured by something as simple as summer ending and causing me to sweat less. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I also used to suffer from some sort of friction rash on the insides of my thighs after running. For several years I actually ran with a pair of boxer shorts over my underpants, under my jogging trousers, just to prevent the rash. I stopped doing this some years ago when I switched to more sophisticated jogging pants which have some sort of inner lining which hugs the legs and prevents the chafing.

14. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I never wear anything under my running shorts. I just have various shorts with liners in them so there's no issue there. I hate the weather getting cooler and needing to actually wear a shirt though. On long runs its best to put band aids or something over the nipples or it gets painful. Besides normal running shorts with liners, I actually will wear swimming trunks too because they have liners.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    How long did your rash last for? I've had mine for a week. It's like a series of small bumps; is that what yours was like?

Edit:

I googled "friction rash" and I think that's it. Looks like I'll be using some of the leftover Desitin from my son's diaper days. :p

Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  16. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I got something similar years ago, but running shorts with long liners seemed to solve the problem. They're like short bike shorts under the running shorts.

Regarding hills - best running training of the lot in my opinion. Train everything if you use them right; endurance, speed, strength.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I need to get back in the habit of doing pushups and sit ups. I've been meaning to for a while, but I'm stymied by simply forgetting; I'm in the habit of finishing my run, stretching, and getting in the shower. I figure if I post here maybe I'll have a better chance of remembering to assume the position and do the push before I hit the shower. That's what I used to do for years, so I just have to relearn the habit.

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I do pushups before my run - it's easier to remember and it works as something of a warm up.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  19. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    It's so easy to be a lazy arse at the end of a run!

Juliet316 , Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Very true. I look at my pull-up bar at the end of a run and think I really should do at least two or three... but maybe later. It never happens. I think it's been weeks since I did an actual pull-up, and I suspect five is as many as I can do now. This time last year I could do twelve or so, but good habits are so much more difficult to keep up than bad.

MOC Yak Face and Sarge like this.
  21. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Vaseline is your answer to friction rash prevention.

After I started lifting I had huge problems with friction - squats were building my legs and they were rubbing together while running. It was so bad it took all the skin off my upper-inner thigh and left me in all kinds of embarrassing pain. A generous application of vaseline cut the friction and completely solved the problem for me. Also works for nipples if you suffer in that dept.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

That's right, I had forgotten, I did use Vaseline on my thighs. I remember now; that did the trick.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've tried Vaseline before, but I found it to be messier than Desitin and not as long-lasting. But Vaseline doesn't smell like Desitin does.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Your skin is rotting off. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Flesh eating bacteria? Leprosy? Or just a simple case of zombification?

Juliet316 and MOC Vober Dand like this.