main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well as long as you don't end up keeping certain body parts in a jar, I think you'll be fine!

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Google says it's basically a harmless dumb rash. But I don't want to live with stupid bumps on my inner thighs for the rest of my life. I can't imagine having to explain that before seeeeeex. "No, really, it's not herpes. We're totally cool."

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    [face_laugh]

I've been continuing my 10k training plan. Two speed sessions a week, one being half marathon/ 10k pace threshold and the other 800m and mile repeats. Amazing how the body adjusts to this kind of treatment. At the start of the programme holding 4min / km pace for any time at all was a struggle, but after three weeks I can do four one mile repeats with 90 second rests at that speed. All I have to do now is learn how to do six of them in a row! :p

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ezio, there are certain things that really don't need to show up on the "post a pic of yourself" thread, know what I mean?

Seriously, hope the appointment goes well for you.

5. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Haven't posted for ages because my training is all about volume at the moment, which isn't very interesting to talk about, but it's great to pop in and see that people are still getting out and doing some meaningful movement now the weather's cooled.

When you're in the strength game, every now and then you get a really strange request. A couple of years ago I ended up modelling for a (nude) statue of Odysseus. The sculptress wanted someone in their 40s who was genuinely strong. Today, I received a request from ITV (a UK television channel) to do some kind of fruit-based strength challenge (they suggest crushing apples or breaking coconuts) for a show called 'Go for it'.

My friend Mayyah was on the show a while back bending frying pans, briefly included in this clip:

I think I'll give this one a miss but they've contacted a few people from my old gym in London so hopefully I'll see one of my friends obliterating fruit in the not-to-distant future.

6. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    That's awesome! I think I have to reconsider my fitness regimen. Nobody ever wants to see marathon runners posing nude or crushing fruit on TV!

Edit: There are exceptions...

[​IMG]

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm doing pretty much the same; I may have picked up running speed with the cooler weather, and the pool being a little emptier for swimming is really nice. Still lifting a couple of times a week.

I found a nutrition article in Triathlete magazine and it turns out I'm already following most of the regime that this Ironman champ does. That felt pretty good.

8. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Eurghh... just saw this clip featuring the founder of Bikram yoga. Even creepier than Trump.

I'm used to having to wipe up a small puddle of sweat on deadlift day or when doing kettlebell ballistics but hot yoga is ridiculous imo.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Went for a three mile run after my doctor's appointment. Realized during the run that maybe that wasn't so great of an idea, since the doc had sliced into my thigh to take samples of the rash (which, btw, he decided wasn't a rash but a growth that he's going to test for cancer). Running with your inner thigh having recently been sliced by an x-acto knife is fairly unpleasant, as I just learned.

I also learned that the mental worrying is pretty devastating. I can't focus in school. Can't focus on homework or anything else. All I think about is this damn issue now. What it could be, or mean. What it could mean for the kids.

October is traditionally my favorite month of the year. But with the work drama and this thing, October 2016 has been pretty awful. :(

10. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Damn... hope you get the results back soon and they're all clear :(

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hope everything goes well for you Ezio!

12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

This dude gives me a bad vibe. Like he's psycho or something. Wasn't he accused of rape?

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ezio, even if it is the worst, be glad that you found it early. Nip it in the bud, man, nip it in the bud.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    When do you find out the results?

15. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard a lot of bad things about him over the last few years but that's the first time I've ever heard/seen him talk. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Really bad vibe.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a co-worker who would do hot yoga in the winter because it warmed her up.

As someone who is uncomfortably hot when the temperature is above 70 degrees, I cannot begin to wrap my brain around deliberately entering a 95-100 degree room.

I love yoga but on top of a mountain or in a room-temperature studio please.

17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Two weeks, if not earlier.

Sarge likes this.
  18. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I found it unbearable.

Edit - I hope the results come through early

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Sorry you're stuck with this worry, Ezio. Lots of things it could be rather than cancer, though, the doctor is probably just playing safe.

20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    My 2016 fitness goals? Ask me in 2017. :p

21. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Sorry to hear about this Ezio. As others have said, could be lots of things and even if worst case, you're on it early.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I don't know what it is, but lately I've been scarfing down bread. I've eaten two loaves in two weeks, dipping the slices in olive oil with Italian seasoning. So much for my diet of spinach salads...I have bags of spinach being ignored in the fridge. :(

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think I might be ready to move to heavier weights at least for bicep and tricep work; I'll still be at 20 lb dumbbells for shoulder work for a little while longer (I do 10-rep sets). I cannot plank longer than a minute though, hoping to increase that soon.

Looking at doing a 10K in December; I have not raced since the last sprint triathlon in August but I would really like to do an Olympic-length tri next summer. My last tri was close to Olympic length on the swim and bike but a couple of miles short on the run.

24. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of those 'I really want to offer some advice but this thread isn't about that' moments!

In other - shocking - news, I may be entering an endurance event this winter :eek:

Really want to do it, but I'm hesitant as I've got a decent shot at being british champ in my weight/age category next year in my powerlifting federation but not if I take 3 months out training completely different energy systems for a 3 day endurance event. Stupid body, why can't it be good at everything at once?

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Unhinged, if you're waiting for an invitation, I'm always interested in your advice. It's probably not for me anyway, but it's still worth reading, IMO.