main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I can't remember the last time I was this tired, but that's why I have a personal trainer, to make sure that she pushes me whenever I want to give up. I finished off with 4x10 burpees, and I was seriously dizzy when we ended. What I really like with this training is that for the first time ever I'm actually training my arms and upper body. I have done competitive sports, but they have all been concentrated on leg strength. Even if I walk and bike most of the time, since I don't have a car, both me and the PT are a bit surprised on how strong I still am in the legs. Now with some arm and upper body strength the cross country skiing will probably be so much funnier this winter compared to when I did some serious skiing the last time.

I also have a couple of goals set up now that I want to reach, but I'm going to wait with them until the 2017 thread, for now I'm happy to just get into the habit of some tough training.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I need to get some X-country skis. I used to go all day on those, blazing my own trails on little deer trails in the woods. It's a great workout, and so good to get out and away from everything for a while.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It and long distance skating are the only endurance sports that are actually fun if you ask me. Too bad you can't do them in the summer, I would be a lot more fit then.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You can get skis with rollerblade wheels on them. They're not much good off-road, though.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    for 2017 can we do fatness goals?

6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    For the runners, how long do your running shoes usually last? My Aesics (that I was so proud of earlier in the thread) no longer feel as tight-fitting as they once did. I like a snug feel in my running shoes, so I usually tie the laces pretty tight. But lately the laces on the Aesics seem to be coming a bit loose during my runs (not untying, just a general feeling of looseness). This loose feeling reaches around to the back of the shoe as well, where it used to snugly grip onto my heel and ankle area. The shoes are only about a year old, and I've used them pretty much every other day since I bought them.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I run almost every day, and my shoes usually last about 6 months, so I'm betting you're about due for a fresh pair. As a rule of thumb, if running shoes feel like they're wearing out, that's a pretty good indication that they're wearing out.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Normally they recommend buying new shoes after they've clocked up between 400 to 500 miles, but this can really vary depending on the shoe. Sarge's advice is best because it's common sense.

Juliet316 , MOC Vober Dand and Sarge like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

That statement is just so widely applicable! [face_peace]

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've done about 242 miles on the Aesics. Six months, eh? I was hoping for more life out of a $200+ pair of shoes. :(

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Ezio, I think of running shoes as ablative armor for the feet. Its whole purpose is to wear away as it absorbs the damage that would ruin your feet and ankles and knees.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd much prefer fartness goals, but I guess we can do that in 2018.

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I took my last pair of Asics (Gel Phoenix 6) to 400 miles, and they seemed fine. If your laces are the problem, try replacing them. I've heard some shoe companies have started using some sort of stretchy material for the laces which don't last so well (I think it was a review of the Saucony Ride 8 that said this, but I might be mistaken). If the soles of the shoes still look good and feel good and the upper is still holding up, I'd consider simply switching out the laces - I mean, it's not going to cost much is it? See how they feel then.

Sarge likes this.
  14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The thing about worn out running shoes is that sometimes it isn't until you're in a new pair that you realise how stuffed your old pair was! 3-500 miles seems to be the rule of thumb, but it depends on a number of factors, including your weight and how much your foot strike targets certain areas of the shoe. If you just keep an eye on them you can start to see when areas are becoming seriously compromised.

I'm less than three weeks out from my 10k race. On Tuesday afternoon I did 6 x 6 minutes at faster than 10k pace with two minute job recoveries. It was fairly warm and by the fourth repeat I was feeling the burn! Got through it though.

15. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah shock absorption is still great. It's just an overall feeling of increasing looseness.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ugh, I still need to get new shoes.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  17. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I was lucky in terms of shoes. I have a mid-foot strike so cushioning was never an issue. Happily ran in chucks until they fell apart.

From Monday, that's going to be my goal for 6 weeks. High rep squats, barbell complexes and eating 6000 calories a day. The aim is to build some muscle but I always end up putting on just as much fat. One of the downsides of not using PEDs.

Totally messed up my bulk last winter. Went too far - up from 93kg/200lbs to 105kg/230lbs - and put on way too much fat, then cut too quickly and lost way too much muscle. I plan to be a bit more sensible this year.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    what are chucks?

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Chuck Taylors.... aka Converse All Stars

20. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Converse Chuck Taylors

[​IMG]

They have no cushion. Perfect for lifting, when you don't want anything squidgy between you & the ground.

21. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Just to be clear, chucks are NOT a good choice if you run with a heel strike. You'll mess up your ankles, knees and hips.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    What do you all use for shin splints? One friend recommended compression socks and another says that he uses Icy Hot religiously.

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    At least two days a week without running to give my legs time to recover.

I had shinsplints when I first started running - you've got to use common sense and listen to your body. My shins no longer hurt when I run because I gave them time to toughen up. They can still be a little tender to the touch after four or five days running in a row. Recovery time is key, imo.

Juliet316 , Sarge and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I know, I know. But mentally I can't do that without feeling incredibly guilty.

25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    You are damaging your body if you don't give it time to rest, but I guess you know that already. I'm not really someone who can lecture about fighting addiction as I probably drink a little too much alcohol, eat too much sugar, and still drink Coke three times a week, but... guilt in this situation is not logical. Maybe this is a coping mechanism for things going on in your life, maybe you are naturally obsessive or have an addictive personality, but really you should be feeling guilty for running every day because you must be doing damage to your body.

My sister does exercise sensibly, far more sensibly than myself, and follows various varied exercise routines (Body Beast was one, I think). Try following some guidelines or an exercise plan that will be positive rather than punishing. I know my sister has warned me about this, and tells me there is someone she works with who used to run every day, long distances too, just wouldn't give it up; he totally ruined his knees and has been forbidden from running ever again. I think he's had to take up bicycling instead. Don't be that guy.