main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Three walks at the office plus an extra half hour walk last night at a fast pace. Need a flex emote here. ;)

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    6 mile run last night at 10:00 pm after a long day and a big Italian dinner. It was awful but I did it.

9:16/mile, slower than my goal

3. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

K-G, with the adrenaline on race day you should go significantly faster than training pace :) Especially if your pre-race breakfast is porridge rather than pasta ;)

I did a PB in the pool last week, 24 lengths (x 25m) & cycle there & back

for run timing I use a Garmin GPS watch & a Timex stopwatch (sometimes the GPS takes a while to start up if you're running by tall buildings/in urban areas)

have also been trying the Guardian/Louise Hazel workouts. It's basically circuit training. Week 1 was a piece of p, by week 3 not so... :D

Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Went for a run yesterday. Bleh.

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We had another warm spell and I got out and ran in shorts again. Feels like... freedom!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  6. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I went ahead and signed up for a 5k next month. I couldn't resist it, it's a 5k de Mayo :p

I'm still doing 20-ish minute runs so, if I pace myself, I can do this. It'll be fun.

Kiki-Gonn and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There's a 5k/10k run on April 23. I'd like to do the 10, but my hamstring hasn't been feeling great lately. Maybe I can do the 10 slowly; but if I'm not up to it, I'm sure I can handle 5.

Kiki-Gonn and Darth Morella like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There's a 10K this weekend but I'm not ready so I didn't sign up. Doing a 5K, a 7K and a triathlon two weeks apart in May and early June. A little nervous about races that close together but the 7K is a favor for a friend, to support a charity of hers.

Kiki-Gonn and Sarge like this.
  9. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Thanks to the joys of fatherhood I had to my 2nd to last training run at 11:30 pm tonight.

5.75 miles, 8:45/mile

1 more run Thu and then I'm in Orlando for the inaugural race at the new SW section at Disney World.

10. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Dbl post but it is done.

13.1 miles

1:58:22

Hitting my sub 2 hr goal was tougher than I thought it would be. The last few miles were really hard. Not to keep running but to keep my pace. Lots of SW costumes everywhere, music and scenes from the movies throughout the course.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's awesome. The Star Wars race is on my list of ones to do; this time of year sucks for me work-wise unfortunately so I'll have to jump through a lot of hoops to plan it.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I was off my gym routine for almost two weeks because of a bad cold. Managed to make it back this week, even with shorter-than-usual workouts. I have no idea what I should be focusing on at this point. I'm in much better shape but I still basically weigh the same, despite looking thinner, having more energy, and feeling better. Any advice? I don't really have the funds at the moment for a personal trainer but I think that's what I need to do.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're probably replacing fat with muscle so I'm not sure I would worry about the numbers. Muscle weighs more.

Penguinator and soitscometothis like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If I looked thinner, had more energy, and felt better, I wouldn't care what those abstract numbers on the scale were saying.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ran a 10k race this morning, but slowly cuz hamstring is still tender. Time was 51 minutes and change.

There was a 5k too and a couple friends from church were walking that distance. When I was 250-300 yards from the finish I saw them about 100 yards from the finish and I thought, maybe, if I give it all I've got and sprint for all I'm worth... and I blew past them about 10 feet before the finish line. [face_dancing]

My hamstring is now telling me I'm getting too old for that sort of silliness. :oops:

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    be not fat

17. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Got my results in. I was 838th out of the 8,124 men running that day.

Went for my first run in a week today. Enjoyed the break and it was a nice leisurely run with friends. It's nice to have the pressure off.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I found an Olympic-length tri that is only a couple of hours away. [face_dancing] The things I get excited about...

Kiki-Gonn, Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  19. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    My weekly routine so far the past 2 and a half months:

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday:Gym day, working out shoulders, biceps, triceps
    Wen: Tennis or Basketball for two hours
    Thurs:Tennis for two hours, or gym session working the back.
    Friday:Basketball for a couple hours
    Saturday: Early AM basketball, then Tennis for an hour or two
    Sunday: Rest, or sometimes Tennis/Basketball.

I've had to ease up though on my exercise load the past two weeks since I started feeling lower back pain/tightness and knee tightness. I ignored my core workouts the past couple months, so i've recently been doing core work again the last week. No more lower back tightness/pain for now which is good. As for the knee, I think it's an overuse injury since I suffered the same thing last summer: knee tightness/pain from when I would do squats in the morning and play basketball later in the evening( I know, what was i thinking lol). I wouldn't stretch or warm up also, now I started doing both of those again the past week. I had that workout routine up above cause I was losing weight(down to 205 from 220 dating back to a month ago), but ended up overworking myself.

For this week, going to plan to take a rest from the sports maybe till Saturday. I'll hit up the gym and do a light workout(arms/abs) on Wen or Thurs.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I really want to get back into exercising and working out, but I know I must also so a better job of management my diet and sleep. I've been eating horribly the last month or so, feasting on pizza and burgers. I've been sleeping about 5-6 hours a night, just watching TV late at night.

So last night I went to bed early and just had a banana and cereal for breakfast.

Sarge and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  21. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    For the past few weeks, I've increased the intensity/duration of both my lifting workouts and my runs. I've stopped running with partners who kind of just held back (and out of politeness, I would hold back to keep pace with them) and have instead either kept running on my own or with my good friend who is as determined a runner as I am (someone who who helps me push myself while I help him do the same). We've also been using those fitness tracking apps, like the Nike one.

Two weeks ago, we attempted a 7 mile run and completed the first mile in 5 minutes 30 seconds. The following miles were not as quickly conquered, however, with the last mile taking us 10 minutes 11 seconds to complete. We also didn't make it to 7 but to just under 6 miles instead. He and I usually do this once a week, and during the rest of the week I've been alternating between lifting and solo-runs. I've increased my solo runs from 3 miles to 4 miles and now 5 miles so that I'm better prepared for our weekly duo runs.

Unfortunately, I think my body hates the increase, and after Thursday's big run, my legs just stopped working. I woke up feeling like I had two dead horses strapped to my legs. The stiffness and pain is mostly gone now, but I haven't attempted a run since. I think I'll run again this coming Thursday, though.

soitscometothis and TheSlave_1 like this.
  22. TheSlave_1

TheSlave_1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2016
    While I haven't been running any races or any sort of competitive running, I've put in 32 miles (which were a combination of intervals, long runs, hills, and tempo runs) over the past 3 weeks. I mean it's probably not a ton for some of the hardcore runners, but I still feel a whole lot stronger than I did before. Anyways, good job to those who just ran races, and to those who are making healthy choices and working out. =D=

23. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I just want smaller waist. Why is my waist so disproportionately large?

Both bust and hips are about 35 inches. But my waist is 29 inches. I saw some nice dresses on amazon but my bust and hips put me in the "small" category while my waist puts me in "large." BMI is under 22 but waist to hip ratio is about 0.814. To get the ideal WHR, I need to lose ~4 bloody inches off my waist...

Christ, I don't know what to do. I'm already exercising an hour ever day. Maybe restrict calorie intake? I did manage to get my BMI down to 19.6 a few months ago but I hate waking up in the middle of the night due to hunger.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

What is your exercise routine during that hour? I've went down about 3 pants sizes since last year simply by running and eating one meal a day (a salad), along with snacks of fruit and nuts (admittedly, my life is now haunted by perpetual exhaustion and hunger :p ).

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

An hour on the exercise bike (level 5 out of 10). Usually it says I burn around 550-600 calories (though I know better than to trust the bike for an accurate gauge). That's the only exercise I count because it's the only time I really sweat. I also hike about 45 minutes a day in the forest and play a little basketball/football (languidly) for half an hour to an hour.

But I feel you on the diet - it's basically lots of fruits and veggies, nuts, lean meats. Still the waist issue persists. I was so depressed when I measured myself today.