main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2016 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2016.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Please no one do this.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    on a positive note, you almost fit in that spiderman costume

Master_Lok and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    To be fair, I don't recommend anyone do that. I have a hectic schedule which leads many people I work with towards late night fast food. I prefer to be hungry than stopping for food after midnight.

However, to reduce waist size, one needs to burn overall body fat. You can try running a few times a week as opposed to the hiking. Or combine the two and run at intervals.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    My sister uses work-out videos, and they seem to do the trick. Years ago when I was a skinny guy with a ridiculous amount of flab around my waist I used to use an exercise bike - it had very little effect. Running, in my experience, is better. Anything that works out several groups of muscles has to be good, too.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Running and chopping wood are the best methods if you don't want to spend money.

Sarge and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  6. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Ah yes, the rogue lumberjack lifestyle!

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    PiettsHat , you might want to consider some weight training . It's best if you want to tone up or reshape yourself.

I've been doing pretty well with one swim, one bike ride and two runs every week, at least until this morning; I'm running a fever so I skipped my normal Wednesday at 5:30 am swim. Hoping to be able to make it up on Friday.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Strange thing: a former coworker saw that Spider-Man picture on his Facebook and his sister saw it too. He just told me that she asked him to set us up on a date together. :p

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ezio, do you always start long runs with a first mile in 5:30? If you want to keep going for a long run, try keeping your pace more even right from the start. Fall into a sustainable rhythm early and stay there. Big changes in pace are great exercise and variety, but not so good for covering long distances. If you care more about the workout than the distance, do it your way and have fun with it. It's up to you which way you choose to run and what you get out of it.

soitscometothis likes this.
  10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

While I do care more about the workout than the distance, that 5:30 mile seemed like a one time event. My friend and I haven't been able to do that again. We typically pace ourselves rather well since we still want to achieve a good distance. I've even tried to do it again on my own during long runs and haven't been able to. Now, if I'm only going to run a mile or two, then I can probably get around 6 minutes.

But that day we did 5:30, we were aiming for 7 miles (as is usually our goal). So I don't see that happening again. Still, it was a pretty awesome achievement. Back in college, when I used to run all the time, my best mile was something like 6:20. I never thought I'd get that good again.

soitscometothis and Sarge like this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Yesterday while at the grocery store (Publix, a fantastic grocery chain down here), I could not resist the delicious smell of their fried chicken. As previously mentioned, my diet typically consists of one salad and some fruit and nuts per day. But I couldn't resist. I got a box of 8 pieces and though I shared them with my son (my daughter is apparently too picky for fried chicken), I still ate enough to feel guilty (plus a leftover piece today).

Anyone else feel this way if/when indulging in foods not typically allowed in your diet? And what foods typically tempt you to break your diet? Back in the day, ice cream used to be my big weakness, but now it's fried food apparently. I've been generally good at resisting (partially because I hate this wave of guilt that I feel immediately afterwards :p).

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Sarge like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Nothing wrong with an occasional indulgence, as long as it stays occasional and not habitual. And if you're craving some particular food, it's often - not always - something your body actually needs more of. Do you get enough protein with your usual diet?

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I couldn't give up fried chicken, it's a staple of my diet.

I've been eating ice cream recently, a tub a week. Been eating far too much chocolate, too. Both my sister's fault.

I've also been snacking on crisps (potato chips if you're American) for the first time in years. That one is totally down to me, however.

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I assume so. I take a protein powder mix every morning and add chicken to my salad.

15. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I've gone almost a week without fast food. Not because I'm trying to eat healthy but because I really can't afford it. I've stayed around 140-150 lbs since I worked in a greenhouse last summer, I thought I'd be fat by now with the way I've been eating the last couple months but nope. It doesn't hurt that I walk for hours on end for no reason every day because I've got too much free time.

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    It's actually getting warm here in the UK, so I'm having to remember to keep myself well hydrated before a run. On Saturday I was lax in that area, and consequently the usually gentle 7k run was kind of brutal by the end.

Everybody who's running in the warmer weather needs to remembr to drink that little bit more.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, and hydration means drinking water. Some Gatorade with the water is okay. Stay away from soda, coffee, tea, energy drinks, and alcohol; they just make you pee and then you're still dehydrated, so drink water.

soitscometothis and Master_Lok like this.
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Even walking in the warmer weather, it's helpful to keep hydrated. I'll never forget I nearly collapsed after walking a mile from the job to my train home on one particularly humid evening. Bought a bottle of water and immediately felt better. Never going to go without some water in that kind of heat again.

soitscometothis and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  20. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Did 7 miles at 9'14 a mile today. Been running a few months. Not sure if I'll ever end up doing any races or anything but I feel good running everyday.

Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I very slowly building up my stamina by doing elementary calisthenics; jumping jacks, sit ups, push ups, squat thrusts, a couple of laps around the block, etc.

Also I've been eating smaller portions when eating meals, as well as cutting down on sugar.

Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  22. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Alright, I'm now down to 196 lbs as of weighing myself this morning.

I got this really cool app that tracks how many calories I've consumed per day that's really helped me with my dieting.

I'm trying to limit my calorie intake to around 500 or less per meal, but it's really hard for me not to eat more than I should at dinner because I'm always so hungry at the end of the day. ESPECIALLY if I've worked out.

Been eating lots of salads.

Sarge likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just had the thought of "Holy ****, I've got a tri in a little over two weeks." Have not been out on the bike much due to weather, I've been running a couple of times a week but damn I'm slow, and I have a LOT of motivation to make sure I get up early enough tp get in the pool in the morning.

On a more positive note...30-day fitness challenges has an app. I did not know this.

24. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    3 or 4 kilos to go.

Setting a rule for myself whenever I see fattening food:

"Would that look anywhere near as good in me as a Tom Ford suit would look on me?"

soitscometothis likes this.
  25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    This year I've been talking it fairly easily on the exercise front due to some other life priorities, but I have been giving a bit more thought to the dietary side of things, an in particular reducing sugar. I have to say that it's made a huge difference to general well-being. I eat pretty much exactly what I always did at meals, but just substituted sugary snacks and drinks with protein and water. Energy levels are far more steady, without the peaks and troughs that I used to get. Feel much more energised in the mornings and my mood's more even. I'd highly recommend it!