main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2016 Sci Fi Preview

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    have I already posted this thread? I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to find out.

January

The Fifth Wave

From the trend that brought you Hunger Games, Twilight, The Maze Runner, Divergent, comes another one of those things.

March

Divergent: Allegiant

from the trend that brought you those things listed above...

Midnight Special

Adam Driver does his thing again

Independence Day: Resurgence

Jeff Goldblum's hair looks better than it's looked in years.

July

Star Trek Beyond

Star Trek sandwiched between Star Wars films. I feel nothing but pity.

The Space Between Us

?

December

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

In the future, people will say "in the spirit of Star Wars" instead of "in the spirit of Christmas."

Jumanji

apparently good enough for a reboot

Passengers

Yeah, I've definitely already done this thread. I remember this one in particular. Rising young stars Jennifer Lawrence and Kersplatt finally team up together. Chances are reasonably good that they will have had a torrid affair during the making of this movie and Pratt's divorce press release will hit the wire within 3 months of the film's release. 6 months later, Lawrence and Pratt will be married. 8 months after that, they will be separated.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Forgot Captain America: Civil War, Batman Vs. Superman, Suicide Sqaud, and Doctor Strange (especially Doctor Strange)

3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't know if I would refer to those as Sci Fi films since they all clearly fall under the comic book film genre primarily.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, Doctor Strange is probably the Sci - Fi -y of the lot.

5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I included a few superhero movies in my "best sci fi of the 21st century thread," and the only reason I didn't include them here is because I didn't want to.

6. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    With more emphasis on the fiction/fantasy over the science action, but still clearly a comic book movie.

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I wanted to include Purge 3 on the list. Dystopian horror sci fi?

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Adam Driver is the least exciting thing about this movie.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Social science I guess. :p

10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The Space Between Us stars Asa Butterfield, star of the smash box office megahit Ender's Game.

It's about the difficulties of developing an online crush with someone and then trying to meet up with them in person. Speculative Fiction is what you call this.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes. Thank you. The special effects in the trailer looked pretty dodgy, but it's still early days. But I'm on board for whatever Jeff Nichols decides to do next and this looks like a stretch for him in some interesting ways. Been a Michael Shannon fan since a while back. And, after not liking him for a while, Joel Edgerton really knocked me out in 2015 with The Gift and Black Mass, two really amazing performances. I'm on board. That's all.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Okay, I'm going to sound really pedantic, but for a movie about a mystical sorcerer, why would the genre "science fiction" spring to mind instead of "fantasy?" :p

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  13. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    We also have the Ghostbusters remake and Japan is getting Godzilla: Resurgence this year, although whether those are sci-fi films or not is debatable.

14. DavBacca

DavBacca Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    I don't want to see any movie listed in this thread.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Why will you skip Rogue One?

16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Wikipedia describes the original Ghostbusters as a "supernatural horror comedy film", and Wikipedia is never wrong.

Godzilla fits comfortably under the large sci-fi tent IMO. A sub-genre to be sure, but sci-fi none the less. Speaking of Resurgence, anyone see those leaked photos of the new Godzilla design? It looks like 'zilla on a three-day Red Bull bender.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If "Don't cross the streams" doesn't fall under hard sci-fi, I don't know what does.

Sarge, Juliet316 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That's the thread from a parallel universe in which the JCC has a search function that doesn't involve a deep dive into back pages.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've been reduced to Googling "boards.theforce.net" and adding the relevant key words. It works decently for finding threads, but not for finding posts by user, etc.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I should have remembered that you already made this thread. I have failed you all. :(