main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit 2016 Star Wars novels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Aug 24, 2015.

?

What SW novels do you want to see in 2016 besides the other 2 books of the Aftermath trilogy?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2016.
  1. New rebooted Big 3 novels set in the classic era

12.9%
  2. New Big 3 novels set between ROTJ & TFA

64.5%
  3. The First ST era novel to feature Poe,Rey and Finn in a new adventure

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    What novels will be coming in 2016 besides the other two books of the Aftermath Trilogy and the novelization of The Force Awakens? Will we see more novels with the Big 3 in the rebooted classic era coming in the fall of 2016? And then perhaps around November or December of 2016. Perhaps the first spin-off adventure novel set between TFA and Episode VIII to feature a new adventure with Poe Dameron,Rey and Finn? Or perhaps a lead in novel to Episode VIII?

I hope DelRey brings back Tim Zahn to do a Hardcover Big 3 novel or trilogy set in the rebooted classic era or in the ST era set between ROTJ and TFA or a hardcover novel/trilogy with the new ST heroes set between ROTJ & TFA perhaps to feature Thrawn and the Chiss and the Unknown Regions in new rebooted adventures of conquest to come out around fall or Christmas 2016 to celebrate the silver anniversary of Tim Zahn's first SW novel Heir to the Empire.

Darth Caliban and Zorrixor like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I wonder if they should be more cautious about jumping ahead in the timeline, by which I mean no novel or comic should be ahead of the most recently released sequel trilogy film. Unless it's something completely tangential not involving the characters. But even that can be dangerous.

At the same time, if TFA is where all these characters first meet, there's less storytelling potential for a story set before the film.

Ulicus likes this.
  3. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    Rogue Planet was about Anakin and Obi-Wan and it was set after TPM and had not much tie-in to AOTC and ROTS but more tied into NJO. I see no reason why there can't be a novel set after TFA months after TFA is out and have Rey,Finn and Poe in a similar adventure that doesn't have to tie into Episode VIII. Also I think it would be fun if there were new spinoff novels with not just the ST heroes but also Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren conquering new sectors and regions of the galaxy beyond TFA and before Episodes VIII and IX.

ATimson likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Can I just finally get my Imperial Privateer novel? :(

LordDlow and TK-421 Is vader like this.
  5. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I just want Del Rey to get some Zahn in continuity, I don't care where in the timeline it's set. Though given his past contributions, post-ROTJ would make sense. Just bring this superstar back!

6. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    Zahn has got to do a ST era novel or hardcover trilogy with the OT3 and the new ST characters either between ROTJ & TFA or between TFA & Episode VIII. Zahn has got do new novels in the new canon. I want to see Thrawn,the Chiss and the Unknown Regions and even Mara Jade in the new ST era. Will Mara still get together with Luke in the new ST era and have Ben with him?

7. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I'd like a nice shiny post-ROTJ trilogy.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    How about a mix of novels. Some set around the ST others the PT and OT

9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Sword of the Jedi trilogy? (ducks and covers)

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    *throws empty beer cans at DarthStymi*

Stymi and SilentGuy66 like this.
  11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Aren't those suppose to have been written by Golden? The one who destroyed my Vos' tales comics?

But if she actually knows the characters for this Sword of the Jedi trilogy....then I'll take a look.

And yeah. Some new Big Three stuff would be great.

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I of all people don't want to be the one to throw a wet blanket on the prospect of Zahn coming back. Obviously, I think it would be fun to turn him loose on the canon continuity and see what we get. But:

a.) Is Lucasfilm and/or the Story Group (whoever makes these decisions) likely to approve "bringing in" any of Zahn's usual stable of characters (and the substantial amount of baggage, i.e. fan expectations, that comes with them) while trying to build a new post-ROTJ canvas?
    b.) If that turns out to be a negative, would Zahn even be willing to come back if he can't use Thrawn, Mara, C'Baoth, or any of his other characters?
    c.) Even if he's willing to write it, would fans even want a Zahn novel that doesn't incorporate any of his usual characters in some fashion?

Again, no dislike of Zahn here whatsoever, those are just some of the thoughts that cross my mind when realistically considering the possibility that Zahn would return to Star Wars. I'd like to see it happen; my personal preference would be that it be without Thrawn, Mara, and the others, and that he create new characters and relationships for the new canon that are just as intriguing and enduring as the old ones are. But I'm also one to set my expectations at a reasonable level. I guess we'll see what happens in 2016!

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    They most definitely should, unless they know exactly what's going to happen in Episode VIII. Which, if it's anything like how the PT was put together, they won't.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Dooku novel, Imperial Coruscant novel. Luceno should keep developing the universe like he always has and he could answer some of the questions that TCW asks.

15. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Are there any other titles announced other than the ones coming out Sept 4th?

16. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    November 3 --- Battlefront: Twilight Company
    October 6 --- The Rise of the Empire (collects A New Dawn and Tarkin + 3 new short stories)
    January 26 --- The Force Awakens novelization

Is that what you were wondering?

17. Z95_Headhunter

Z95_Headhunter Jedi Knight

Jul 26, 2014
    I voted for a new post ROTJ trilogy, but I have a feeling that once I and many others see Episode 7, we'll want a whole lot more of the new characters.

18. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    ^This

19. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    She didn't destroy them, the authors of the The Clone Wars scripts her novel was based on did.

VIII or IX? Remember, the sequel trilogy films are all a year closer together. By now they should be writing the VIII script to shoot next summer.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  20. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Right.

Filoni strikes yet again!

But are her other Star Wars books at least some what decent?

21. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I voted new ST-era novel with Poe,Rey and Finn after TFA and before Episode VIII. But I would hope that they do new ST era novels with my all time favorite heroes the OT3.

22. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Her other Star Wars books are... divisive. I thought they were okay, with the exception of one or two moments. Others think far less of them. (Her StarCraft and WarCraft novels were pretty good, so she's definitely got the talent in my opinion. Her first Star Wars books just weren't necessarily her best.)

But I think she was the best of the authors in the Del Rey stable at the time to take the trilogy on.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I want to learn what Luke was up to following Endor, so a series of post-ROTJ Big3 novels would suit me just fine.

24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Just get John Ostrander and Jan Duursema to work on some comics, I don't care when it's set, I just know it's gonna rock with that team behind it.

25. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Depends on what happens in TFA, honestly. I don't need the era between RotJ and TFA to be filled immediately. Are we certain the Aftermath sequels are both coming out in 2016? That trilogy might not be finished by the time VIII releases.

I wish they could get Stackpole back to do something in the new era. Also on my wishlist are Zahn and Stover, the authors we've had so far in the new canon, and maybe a couple of authors who haven't written Star Wars yet. There are some good sci-fi/fantasy authors out there.

I wonder if there will be a novelization for Rogue One?

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.