main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, Virginia's been looking solid.

South Carolina beat Wofford the other day, behind some nice shooting from Bruce Ellington (5-6 from 3) and Damien Leonard (4-6 from 3)... really need Leonard to keep this up. He came in with a reputation of being a great shooter, but really struggled badly out of the gate. If he can emerge as an actual threat, that will help the team immensely. Another game at noon tomorrow against USC Upstate, which I'll go to as well - Ellington will miss this game (in Orlando for the bowl) but he'll be back for the game after this.

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm tentatively getting excited about Murray State's success this year.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    South Carolina squeaked by USC Upstate... the lack of Bruce Ellington really showed.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tough loss at Indiana today for the Bucks. But, it's good to see Indiana back. College basketball doesn't feel right when Indiana is an almost guaranteed win on your schedule.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That's two huge wins for Indiana now, Kentucky and Ohio State. Very, very impressive.

Also, they showed pretty clearly that the win over Kentucky wasn't just a fluke.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    No surprise that Tom Crean's having success at Indiana. Having a strong Indiana team is good for college basketball.

7. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson beats ETSU 65-58. Good win after trailing by 9 in the 2nd half. Devin Booker scored a career high 22. Booker has great talent, he just does not have the intensity or the desire that his older brother had. ETSU has a very good 6'6 PG named Sollazzo. He could be an NBA talent

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Booker's a junior now, right?

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree, and I really like Crean. It takes a special coach to build a winner out of the hand Sampson left that University.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep. Sampson left a royal mess there.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Most definitely. It's been a while, but IU is back.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Speaking of which, another solid victory for Indiana today against a good Michigan squad.

They'll be a dangerous team come March.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I was glad that they hung on last night. Michigan made a furious comeback, but couldn't take it all the way.

Pitt is continuing to free-fall right now...they lost their 4th in a row.

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That game shouldn't have been as close as it was, but I'm glad IU won.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    2 days later and I still want to remind people that Temple beat Duke.

I sincerely doubt (other than shock at the win) that this matters much to non-locals, but you haven't been Duke's whipping boy since 1996.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm surprised that RJ hasn't posted anything about that yet. :p

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Can someone send a case of steroids over to the Pitt basketball team please wow losing to DePaul was not good.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I saw the second half. It was embarrassing.

19. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Easily the best performance of the year from Clemson in the win over FSU. After the 14-10 score, we went on an 18-0 run and never allowed FSU closer than 16 points. Bobo had a big game as did Jennings and Young. They team looked very sharp. Going to need much more of that in the rest of the ACC play.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Had that game on but wasn't watching closely.

FSU has one little, tiny, minor weakness. Namely, they are completely and utterly incapable of putting the ball into the basket.

...yeah, ok, that's a pretty huge weakness :p

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Buckeyes were upset last night in Illinois. It was a frustrating game to watch, as several times it looked as if the Bucks were going to take control of the game, only to let it slip back to even, and then had the Illini have the clutch buckets.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I caught the highlights on SportsCenter. Paul had a monster game for the Illini, with 43 points and a huge block of Sullinger in the closing moments of the game.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Looking forward to Saturday, I am going to watch this game Carolina plays against FSU very closely. Even if they look like a shell of last year's team (and are), they're coming off a win against VaTech, and it seems FSU has been playing us so tough the last few years. Last year, they beat us in the regular season, year before in the ACC Tourney, and the year before they took us to OT.

In the last few games, and particularly against Texas, we are really starting out fast, and going into the half with a 15+ pt lead- this is all well and good when you can cruise on in against a Boston College, but I'd honestly like us to have a few challenging second halves before we run up on a Duke. Adding to all this, Harrison Barnes is coming off a horrific game against Miami, where he went 2-12 from the field.

Can't overlook the Noles.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That should be a good game. Florida State's down just a bit, but they're not going to be an easy out for UNC. Glad that it's on national tv.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Was that the sound of a young Hoosier team falling back to earth? A stunning loss - at home - to Minnesota. Methinks the real test will be how they respond to that setback. They visit Columbus on Sunday. I hope they don't respond well.