main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2017 Book Club Dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Hi gang!
    Happy 2017!

I want to keep the BC going, and I know dear reader that you do too. All of you. Old friends, and new ones too. This is the club for you.

First monday of the even month, we meet at 7:00pm at Barnes and Noble to talk the wars and the book we read (or didn't).

So:
    February 6
    April 3
    June 5
    August 7
    October 2
    December 4

I'm open to suggestions, and I have a few of my own. I will say that this February we will discuss the books surrounding Rogue One. In April, we will read The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher and just talk about how our lives are brighter for the spark she gave us all, and the darkness that was left in her absence: a darkness that abates as we remember those we have lost, due to moonlight strangulation by their own bra.

Some of my other thoughts: Ashoka and Tarkin would be two good canon reads. I don't want to neglect the old EU -- and we still have lost to chose from. I still got my half finished essay on POV and reality and mass media as presented in Matthew Stover's Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, so, there is that (great book in it's own right). Dawn of the Jedi, Lando novels, Cloak of Deception, Med Star 1 and 2, Glove of Darth Vader, etc.

Thoughts?

MTFBWY
    Jammies

JediLightside1966 likes this.
  2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Sounds great! I read the Rogue One novelization, any other related books you can recommend for the February discussion?
    I'll have to give suggestions for the old EU books some thought.

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I just got my work schedule for the next month and the probability of me attending the February meeting is high...it's VERY high.

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I will be attending. Captan Andor said I had to.

other than the novelization, I was thinking of the Visual guide, the Art of, there is a Rebel dossier (middle school) book that recycles info from the guides, and there was supposed to be a YA book starring Jyn and one for Casian-- ala Ray's survival guide and Poe's flight log-- but I have yet to see those in the wild. VisualFX magazine should also have their Febuary issues talking bout Tarkin as well.

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Good suggestion on the visual guide, they give a surprising amount of backstory with the character and location descriptions.

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump. See you Monday.

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Another fun time was had by all.
    I think Freed's novelization of Rogue One might be one of the best SW novelizations we've seen (Stover's Revenge of the Sith being number one, IMHO). I liked reading the interludes: the snippet of the Jehda religion, the work emails from Erso and his co-worker, etc. You know, the first novel, "Star Wars: The Adventures of Luke Skywalker" by Foster starts with a quote. " 'They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes.' -- Princess Leia Organa." Interesting to look back at that phrase written over 40 years ago, and realize that she is (maybe) talking about Cassian and Jyn-- not a certain farmboy and nerfherder.

Also fun just picking through the visual guides, looking for easter eggs and nods to old legends material from KOTOR or West End Games or even Splinter of the Minds Eye.

Thanks for coming out and talking the warz.

Next Book Club meet up will be in April to discuss our princess, Carrie and her work "Princess Diarist."

MTFBWY
    Jammies
    \Bor Gullett!

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for leading! Great to see you and hear of your recent adventures. Sorry I couldn't hang out longer.
    Mrs jedimika is looking forward to seeing your new Fiat ;)

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump! One week away from book club! See you there!

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Book club tonight!

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Great discussion last night...book/Rebels/Celebration/Wonderfest...so much to talk about. Thanks!

12. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Are you all planning on reading the new Thrawn? Anyone hear anything about it?

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Hi there! Good to see you!

Yup. It takes place before Rogue One, Rebels, or A New Hope. It describes Thrawn's rise from captive to Grand Admerial; but does seem to have similar beats to the story we used to know, including being found by Captain Perek and given to the Emperor, and threats from the unknown region.

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yay 11-11!

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-anthology-will-explore-every-inch-of-the-star-war-1794112282
    I'm always up for more Star Wars to read but I have to confess I'm a little irritated. They got rid of the old EU because it was so messy and it seems they're heading down the same road again. It is nice to see Jon Jackson Miller writing more Star Wars and I'm glad a part of the profit will go to charity (and a reading related one at that).

15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I feel the exact same way Mika. When i read about the new anthology book, the first thing that popped in my head was *OMG the Tales of books were so silly! glad they are not canon anymore, the EU focuses too much on trying to explain every background minutiae* etc. And now they are doing something very similar as if it is new. I feel similarly about Marvel comics sometimes-- how many times can I read about the move from Yavin to Hoth? (Answer: a lot)

Still. It is the Warz. JJM is much the best compared to the authors Bantam had in their stable.

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Got my June work schedule and won't be able to make next book club Monday June 5. I could make the next night Tuesday the 7th or the following Monday the 12th if that works.

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Unless anyone objects: I make a motion to move BC to June 12.

18. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Hi Mika and Jammies! I finally got my Thrawn! I miss all of you so, so very much. I'm having a horrible form of homesickness for the LGA. I hope you all are doing swell and enjoyed the Thrawn book. Remember it's ok to post spoilers after your meeting ;). "Spoilers" --oh, how I love and miss this word.

You are my peeps forever!

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    D'aawwww. Thank you 11-11, miss you too. Hope you are doing well. We may be separated by distance but you are still a member of the LGA.

Have you met any Star Wars fans up that way?

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    We are only a board post away 11, and maybe we play swing over vessel some time too?

I'm really liking thrown. I'm glad to read about my old friends, and that his origin story hasn't changed much except for the timeline.

21. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    I've not encountered any fans here yet.

I'm going to be in Louisville on Saturday if anyone's about.

Btw... Saddest thing I've ever seen [​IMG][​IMG]

22. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Yes!! We need to plan some xwing time! It's been toooo long.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm working and so is the Mrs but I'll let her know.

24. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Hopefully next time then! Give the Mrs a howdy and a happy Saturday for me , even though she has to work .

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump! See ya tonight to discuss THRAWN!