main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2017 Book Club Dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Punctuation is always exclamatory. Ends sentences in capitalization. Is it brevity he seeks? Perhaps. The Oxford comma shall be his undoing...

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Wonderfest. Opportunity and understanding. Paint still wet. Strokes professional but hurried. Evidence of procrastination? The choice of brush shall be his undoing...

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump for book club this next Monday night.

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    by E.K. Johnston!

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Great discussion as always. In addition to the book and its themes and how it connects to Clone Wars, Rebels and the New EU we also found time for Star Wars current events. There was so much just to discuss in just the two months since we last met. Star Wars news is coming in at Light Speed these days.

Book for October is "Leia, Princess of Alderaan" by Claudia Gray

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Less than a week away! I'll be there. Time for me to put down "IT" (what a long book) and pick up "Leia".

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    This book is good.

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Another great meet. Jammies was on point with deep cut trivia as usual and I totally missed that Leia's friend Amilyn is a character we'll be seeing again in The Last Jedi. I enjoyed a lot about the book but I wanted to know more about the medical advances in Star Wars. There's body modification with bioengineering and Leia's mom has (internal) replacement organs that glow. Are they mechanical? Is it an Iron Man Arc Reactor? Is it bioluminescence? Claudia Gray has also added "Mocoa" to the Star Wars drink menu. What is it? Is it Mocha Cocoa? Jammies and I both agree Claudia Gray is one of our favorite authors of the new EU (with Zahn and John Jackson Miller being able to straddle both new and old EU). She writes with a lot of heart and emotion and even manages to throw in some humor. I really want to go back and reread her Lost Stars again and that's the only book of the new EU I can say that about.

We thought “From a Certain Point of View” would be a good read for our December meeting since it’s a collection of short stories and for the audio version they’ve assembled some great names to read. We also discussed theaters to see The Last Jedi in this December. The Stoneybrook Theater no longer offers reserved seating since AMC took over the place from Carmike, so if anyone knows if any theaters in the area have reserved seating I think that would be best for our group.

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump. Mrs jedimika and I will be there for December for "A Certain Point of View". I'm halfway through and I'm really enjoying it. There are some misses but mostly good stuff.

15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Yeah, I would agree on the hits and misses-- and I am going to guess we will disagree on what stories hit and what did not. All and all, a solid read. Please: everyone is welcome to Book Club! Don't worry if you didn't read the book. It is a Star Wars book-- if you saw the movie I think you can intelligently join in the conversation. or, even if you haven't seen Star Wars-- come out and unintelligently join the conversation.

Now, we had some chatter about meeting up not at Barnes and Noble but at a restaurant for BC. I recall Smokey Bones being thrown out? That is fine with me: but I will need a headcount pretty soon to both put in a reservation for din din and to cancel our table at Barnes and Noble.

Post a shout out by Thursday night / Friday morn if you are interested in BBQ Book Club for Monday 12/4 at 7:00.

Of course, we will be gathering around the chow wagon after or before we see some space movie in (OH MY FORCE!) two weeks, so if dinner plans do not work now they will then.

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    The wife and I are good for whatever.

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    We will stick to the traditional format for 12/4's BC.
    See you all at 7:00 for what will be an interesting discussion of the anthology "From a Certain Point of View."

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    While I need to get a 2018 Book Club thread up, i thought I'd just put it out there that Book Club meets on the first Monday of every other month at 7:00pm. For example, next BC is February 5th.

With the novel for the Last Jedi not out until March (maybe April), we will be talking about Han Solo's adventures as written by Brain Daley.(Han Solo at Star's End, Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, and Han Solo's Revenge). But really, any Han Solo book or story is fair game. So no book is off limits, nor is any book really required. Heck, just come if you know who Han Solo is.

If anyone needs a copy of the book, PM me.

Also, feel free to post to this thread with your book reads. The new Thrawn? A Young Adult book, like the teased Padme novel? An old classic like Glove of Darth Vader?

MTFBWY
    Jammies

JediLightside1966 likes this.
  19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    The Han Solo at Star's End (love that title) was also adapted as a newspaper comic strip back in the stone age when I was a kid and we still had newspapers. The strips were collected in comic form a couple of times over the years and can still be found. It's also available for Kindle. I'll probably pull it out just for nostalgia.

I'm tempted to read/recommend Star Wars:The Last Jedi:Colbalt Squadron just to get more of the backstory on Paige and Rose. Plus art by Phil Noto who I love.

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I love the old newspaper strips. Probably because both the strip and I came into this world on the same day :) Later, my momma would clip them out of our local paper and my brother and I would color on them. i guess I was an early comic book artist. I can't remember if Star's End was adapted by Russ manning, or if it was Archie Goodwin and Al Manning? i am thinking it was Al and Archie hustling to put something out after Manning left.

I am reading Cobalt Squad now. I was super excited for it (Spaceships! Zoom!), and thought about using it as the book for February. Sadly, I am not a fan of the author so far. Her writing is so teadius. Granted, this is a young adult novel: but Grey's work is too and her prose is outstanding. Wein, however, has this need to summarize the previous paragraph-- like an undergrad who needs to make his 2 page essay into a 10 page essay. It has good reviews though, so maybe I am being to pedantic. The audiobook is narrated by Kelly Tran so that is neat.

Shoot, you know what....

OK. So Cobalt Squad is now the new February book for book club. We will do Han Solo then in April.

That way, we can talk Episode 8 stuff too.

Jammies

PS: If anyone needs a copy of the book PM me. Good news is the book is like, 9 bucks at Kroger (yeah I know, Kroger!)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well Han Solo in April puts us closer to the movie release anyway.

Cobalt Squadron for February it is then. I hadn't heard the audiobook is narrated by Kelly Tran...hmmm...

JediLightside1966 likes this.
  22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    FYI I was going past Barnes and Noble the other day and saw they opened a Bearno's Pizza down at the end where the Brick House is at. I scouted it out and it looks like it might be a nice place to go after book club if it's not to crowded with the SPORTS! crowd. And it looks like they're putting in an Aldi's in-between, where the old CompUSA used to be.

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sweet! Everybody likes pizza. Even if it is awful-- it is still pizza. (Aka. the Pizza Rule.) I've heard Bearno's referred to as "Louisville Style" pizza. Good to have our own style, but other than Bearno's who else makes that kind of pizza?
    I had forgotten about CompUSA! That used to be one of my favorite stores of all time. Apparently, me (and the rest of the human population) like the internet just a little bit more.

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Bump:

Just a note/reminder that April is a Book Club Month, and we will be talking about everyone's favorite scoundrel, smuggler, and nerf herder-- Han Solo. We are going back to where it all began with Brain Daley's Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, Han Solo's Revenge, Han Solo at Star's End-- collectively called The Han Solo Adventures.

Make a note: we will be meeting on Monday, April 9th. Typically, we meet on the first Monday of the month, but with Easter/Passover that prior weekend I thought it best to move it. Also note, if you have not read any of Brian Daley's book (well, then, you should) that is fine! Just talk about your love for Solo. If you do not know who Han Solo is, well, that is fine too-- although not sure how you can exist in this world and not have heard of him. Heck, if all you have ever done is look at a red plastic cup-- you are welcome to join us, again, Next Monday the 9th at 7:00 at Barnes and Nobles.