main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2017 Book Club Dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for agreeing to move the date. I've already finished "Star's End" and I'm halfway through "Revenge" so I'm in good shape and already have some discussion points.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    The Last Jedi novel is out now, that may give us more to talk about. If we run out of things to say about Solo (I doubt it).

3. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I will see you all on Monday! MTHBWY

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Excellent!

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  6. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    when is next book club meeting? Might stop by to say hi.

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    We'd love that! June. Usually the first Monday which would be the 4th but we've been know to change it up based on my work schedule (thanks Jammies!) and that will be the first Monday after Wonderfest so we may end up moving it anyway. But the dets will be here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Oh, June book is the new Solo book "Last Shot" if you're inclined. But drop by and say hi regardless.

9. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    cool beans. let me know the date, I shall be there.
    FYI: I will not have read the book. i am but a simple security guard, and the written word is but a mystery unknown to souls such as mine. :)

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Have my work schedule for next month and it looks like I can make the Monday June 4th if you can Jammies.

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Hojnestly, I've been leaning toward the 11th. The monday after wonderfest seemed like a good monday to just sleep (oh, i will be at work, just not awake at work).
    Does the 11th still work for everyone?

Vox! So glad to have you! Would you like a copy of the audiobook? What with the written word not being your thing?

Jammies

PS: Did anyone else see that Lost Stars is out as a Manga in print (and in english)!

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I can do the 11th as well. Feel free to recover from Wonderfest on the 4th (are you entering anything?)

Yup, Lost Stars Manga. Got it. Like it. Get it. We can discuss it.

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sweet. See you all on the 11th.

No, I wasn't able to do much modeling this year-- so nothing I really felt like entering. I still had a great time at WF! Not having to finish a kit at the last minute, I got there early and had plenty of sleep.

Lot's of Warz love in the contest, once they put pics up I will make a post in the off topic thread.

14. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Where you guys meet at for book club? What time? May try to make an appearance

15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Still Barnes and Noble Hurstbourne Lane. Still 7PM. Hope you can make it!

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bad book, good discussion. I'm glad Jammies and I were on the same page (see what I did there?) on our feelings about the book. I found it very difficult to finish and very sleep inducing. I really had to power through. There are some good scenes but the whole structure is wonky and the plot and villain are straight out of the Bantam days.

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I finally remembered what novel this was like: Planet of Twilight. Where the battle moon The Eye of Palpatine comes out of hiding and attacks random groups of cantina aliens under the direction of Palpatine's bastard son who has force powers that only affect droids all while Luke falls in love with the force ghost of some guy whose diary he read's fiance, Calista.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Mostly as a reminder to me, next month's book THRAWN: Alliances is out this week.
    Get to reading jedimika!

19. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Thrawn Day!
    The Vader and Thrawn buddy novel is out today! Or, for those who couldn't wait to be slightly disappointed :)p) early-- out last night at 3:00 AM for digital and audible download. :vader:

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Join us for August's book club!

The first monday of every other month is upon us again! Monday, August 6th we will be discussing Tim Zahn's new novel Thrawn: Alliance. When I say new, it is new-- just came out Tuesday (see above post). Can Jammies and Mika read 300 pages in less then two weeks? Only one way to find out-- and that is to join us at 7:00pm (ish) at Barnes and Noble.
    All are welcome!
    Feel free to read the book as well, but don't worry if you don't finish it-- come chat with us about ol Admiral Blue Face, and Star Wars in general.
    Don't even start the book? Hey, that is fine too! Lots of things to talk about with a topic like Thrawn (the original Thrawn books of the 90s, starship battles, Chiss culture).
    Did that list leave you confused as to how it all ties in with Star Wars? Hey, no prob! We are always down to just chat about the movies.
    Never seen Star Wars? Or any movie ever? No worries! We can just talk about the color Blue! Or about faces. Or not even talk-- just share an awkward pause together.
    WE ARE FUN PEOPLE, HANG OUT WITH US!

-Jammies

jedimika likes this.
  21. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I can't wait to talk about Blue

22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    W00T W00T! Relin, Jammies, N Mika talking bout Blue!!!!!!!!!!

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    82% complete; expect completion within one planetary rotation; processing content ; analysis of writings of artist known as “Zahn” pending; theories, discussion and judgement will ensue this Monday

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm maybe 58% done. maybe?
    \back to reading....
    \\good book though!

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Good meeting. Thanks again for coming out Relin. I'll wait to see what you thought about the book as a whole before making comments Jammies.
    A couple of follow ups from the meeting...
    -It looks like the closest Timothy Zahn will be to the area is Chattacon next January. I think I may try and go.
    https://www.chattacon.org/
    -a semi-local place to donate new and gently used books is The International Book Project in Lexington. Thanks to my Browncoat contacts for bringing this charity to my attention.
    https://www.intlbookproject.org/
    -Next book club (October) book. I've decided this should be "Decide for yourself Jedimika" month. After some discussion we had I don't think the bad rap I've heard about some books should stop me from trying them. Instead of listening to others I should decide for myself. So Jammies, I'll try the Lando books, I'll try Wendig, I'll try anything else. If there are any lurkers feel free to recommend a book you think is underrated. Let's shake Jedimika out of his middle age rut.