main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Celebrity Deadpool (Winner: VadersLaMent!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Dec 31, 2016.

1. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I am a horrible person. Upon hearing of her death, the first thing that came to mind was....

[​IMG]

vin, CT-867-5309 and dp4m like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Samesies... :(

SithSense likes this.
  3. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    aw, she was so cute in her half a second appearance in the weezer "buddy holly" video

what a way to go, in indiana

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, wow, I never thought of him as being particularly old for some reason. I haven't seen any of his movies for quite a while, but I'll always love Silence, of course, and Stop Making Sense is a great concert doc (I always meant to catch that Neil Young doc he did a few years back, but I never did).

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    **** Cancer

PCCViking likes this.
  7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    what I always wanted to know was: why the big suit?

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rachel Getting Married is another great one by him. Made me a big fan of Anne Hathaway.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    no, not Vinod!

jp-30, Ender Sai and Darth Punk like this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    He was no Om Puri.

jp-30 likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Who was?

No, seriously, who was he?

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Married to the Mob was great as well.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Remember back when this thread started and there was a big argument about notability?

That was all Om Puri.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Vinnod Khanna in which case I have no idea.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    One 'n' in Vinod :mad:

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Remember when Ghost posted a gorilla?

lol

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Juliet316, as we had to do patiently with Ghost, let's define celebrity:

Celebrity
    noun
    noun: celebrity; plural noun: celebrities
    1. a famous person, especially in entertainment or sport.
    Ok, so prima facie your obscure pick could fit the bill. However, the term famous is key here. Known about by many people. In Western culture, this is not the case. Bollywood remains a niche market outside of the southern Asian diaspora, and thus would disqualify your choice.
    Whilst I know the main thrill was being able to post about a death, like Ghost's beloved best friend gorilla whom he only just heard of, it doesn't qualify.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Extremely famous author/philosopher Robert Pirsig. Another celebrity gone far too soon. @};-

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Phaedrus finally won the war.

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    With all due respect, you could say the same thing about any number of British or American celebrities in other cultures, or even the same culture. A great many big-time people in entertainment today are simply unknown to me. For example, the cast of the relaunched MST3K features several performers well-known to today's audiences, but the only one I'd heard of previously was Patton Oswalt, since he was on "King of Queens".

Basically, celebrity is in the eye of the beholder. Just because you or I don't know who a person is doesn't make them unknown, or unworthy of note.

MrZAP and Juliet316 like this.
  22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    As I have said earlier, if the first time you've heard of a 'celebrity' is while reading their obituary perhaps consider not posting it.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, what jp30 said.

I get the heady thrill of being the first to share the death obsession with the JC by finding an esoteric and eccentric option to include, but if we don't have basic groundrules we end up with Ghost crying about the giant rabbit that died yesterday on united, which he'd never heard of but like Colo the Gorilla he felt like he knew it his whole life and the pain you guys is SO REAL.

Like come on. Nobody is saying "I've not heard of him/her/it, therefore not famous." They're saying when pretty much NOBODY has heard of someone before they died because what they did was either sit in a zoo for a long time or make films in an extremely niche market, it doesn't qualify.

jp-30 likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Why not, isn't this thread basically a death version of wacky news (albeit combined with a betting game)? I mean, when's notability ever gotten in the way of half of the posts around the JCC? I see no harm in a few mentions of some only mildly famous people. If Juliet and Ghost and others wanna share it, let 'em. At the least they'll just be ignored until an actual big celebrity dies, and at the most they'll get someone to go "huh, that's interesting/sad" or someone else to go "no way, that guy died!?". You think I know who the **** Tim Piggott-Smith was; but others here apparently do.

All I'm saying- you never know where's there's value in a contribution. If not, well then whatever, we move on.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I agree with Todd but also complaining about a lack of notability is cool and good.