main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Celebrity Deadpool (Winner: VadersLaMent!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Dec 31, 2016.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    greg allmann/gregg allman/gregg alman/man/greg

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

[​IMG]

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    abb not as big a thing outside of the dirty south, though.

sc/nc/va/ga/ky/tn/miss/bama, allman brothers band/lynard skynard/charlie daniels = religion

not to me necessarily, but to most of the annoying rednecks i grew up around

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Also to cubman987 who is not an annoying redneck.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    I grew up in San Antonio, and the Allman Brothers, CCR, and Skynyrd were just as big of staples on our Classic Rock radio station as the Stones, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and Scorpions. And that was also the case in St. Louis when I listened to that city's Classic Rock station when I visited there.

Personally, if I had to pick one Allman Brothers song to listen to, it'd have to be Jessica, because I do have somewhat of a soft spot for guitar instrumentals, and Jessica shows that you don't always have to be as fast and furious as Yngwie Malmsteen to be a good guitarist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

heels1785 likes this.
  7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    The Allmans were much more of a blues/jam band than a southern rock band. I saw them three times, they were amazing every time and they played marathon gigs, 3+ hours.

Gregg was awesome, a true bluesman. He lived the hard blues life.

RIP.

MrMojoRisin and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    the guy who wrote the theme tune for top gear

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Allman Brothers Band is epic part of music history for sure. I still vividly remember listening to the Fillmore East album when I was in college. I honestly really do remember the moment when I heard Whipping Post for the first time. Crazy. Mind-blowing. Eat a Peach is also great, though Mountain Jam kind of belabors the point.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Blue Peter presenter John Noakes

British people of my age grew up with this guy. Completely unknown outside of the UK I'm sure (unless Australia and New Zealand watched Blue Peter or Go With Noakes), but here he was a household name.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Probably not well-known to a lot of non-American sports fans, but he was a giant of his industry. An absolute legend, remember reading and enjoying his work in SI when I was just a kid.

Any tennis/journalism/human fans out there who want to see one of his best pieces, it's this one on Jimmy Connors: https://www.si.com/tennis/2014/11/25/raised-women-conquer-men-jimmy-connors-frank-deford-si-60

RIP, Frank.

13. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    If you have HBO, I'm sure Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel will do a tribute to him next month. He was a long time contributor to the show and did a lot of good pieces for it. He did very nice one recently with Boomer Esiason about cystic fibrosis.

RIP Frank.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I was a faithful SI subscriber in the 80s and 90s, DeFord was a big part of the reason why. A legend.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Never screened in NZ.

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    As a nerdy kid who listened to NPR and didn't care about pro sports, Deford was my main connection to Things Real People Care About. His voice is semi-permanently etched into my long term memory, at least until death do us part. It's a common law same sex auditory marriage, still illegal in 38 states.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I've heard a lot of people mentioning his NPR work. I think it's great that, even for a short time, he was able to reach a new audience.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Manuel Noriega.

Which surprised me, if only because I thought he died several years ago.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    AKA pineapple face

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    British actor Peter Sallis, aged 96. Best known for Last of the Summer Wine and voicing Wallace in Wallace and Gromit.

jp-30 likes this.
  22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    He's in today's showing of The Avengers s3 ep17 "The Wringer" (1964) on True Entertainment showing right this minute. He was a good character actor with a long career.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I will eat cheese in his honour.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I will wear the wrong trousers.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Wensleydale, I hope.