main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2018 Emmy Awards

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Jul 13, 2017.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I was upset that they played off Sterling K. Brown during his acceptance speech. I'm sure he would have wrapped up his speech if he was given a chance.

I haven't watch an episode of Veep, but I'll probably watch it at some point. I'll probably get Hulu and watch the Handmaid's Tale when all the episodes of The Runaways are available to binge on there.

I thought the show overall was pretty flat, at least the parts I watched.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    did Better Call Saul or Quarry win anything ?

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Saul won one for best short - one of the Los Pollos Hermanos training videos.

I'm not looking up Quarry, because I don't know what it is, and therefore don't care.

4. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Quarry was set in the 70's about a returning Vietnam vet and had a very 70's movie vibe about it . I thought it was one of the very best things I saw last year , so of course it got cancelled .

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked Quarry a lot too. But like The Knick it was hidden away on Cinemax.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say this opening was catchy as hell (I think it's the clapping) and been stuck in my head for days. Also as much as it's "up with yay Entertainment" there's definitely a dark undercurrent to the song.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Perhaps time to change the title of this thread to 2018?

2018 Emmy Awards: See the List of Nominees

Diggy likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    @heels1785 - can the mod favorite kindly suggest a title change for to reflect the 2018 Emmy awards season? Thank you in advance!:)

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks SSP.

Because it's the last chance, and it's woefully under-awarded, I hope The Americans wins everything it's up for.

I also hope Black Mirror cleans up.

Of the nominated drama series, I've seen all but one. Of the comedies, I've only seen 1.5. I hate laughter, or have impossibly high standards for laughter, apparently.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've only heard great things about Black Mirror, and I'll be binging the series over the summer.

One of the noteworthy things about this year's nominations is that Modern Family wasn't nominated for best comedy. It was one of my favorite series before, but I barely watched a handful of episodes this past season.

I'm going to sign up for Hulu in the next week or so, after I get back from SDCC, to binge The Handmaid's Tale.

I'll be rooting for my favorites, even though there might be some conflicts, in Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, Stranger Things, Silicon Valley, The Amazing Race, and This is Us.

Diggy likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Enjoy Black Mirror, it's excellent.

Funnily enough, and maybe my memory is playing tricks, but I didn't think Calisto was the best episode of the season. I think it was 3rd or 4th for me.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hope at least someone from The Americans wins, in a sort of FNL-esque sendoff surprise.

BadCane, Juliet316 and Diggy like this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've seen 4 in each of the best actor/actress categories. Out of the six non-The Americans nominees, only Elizabeth Moss has a case against the The Americans nominees. The acting in West World is good, but not nearly as good. Foy is great as Elizabeth, but not nearly as a stretching role as Elizabeth. Bateman is fine is Ozark, but nothing special.

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've got about six episodes of The Americans left to watch, but I have no doubt the quality will not dip. It's been a superb series with some great acting, especially from the leads, and I'd like to see it take away something.

I'd like Keri Russell to win best actress, but Tatiana Maslany is always formidable competition. Evan Rachel Wood hasn't been stretched by this season of Westworld, imo, though I think that is down to the writing.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Only finished Season 2 of Orphan Black so when they play Tatiana Maslany's clip I'll have to cover my ears and go "la la la! Don't know about this clone stuff!"

2 eps into Handmaid's Tale S2 so have to get that done in the next 2 months.

16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Go Game of Thrones!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am so over comedies that aren't comedies being nominated. It's not a comedy just because it's half an hour long, guys.

The Good Place isn't even nominated. Tells you all you need to know about the Best Comedy category. At least Ted Danson got a well-deserved nod. But the show and the whole cast should be lauded. Not half hour dramas.

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    nothing for Better Call Saul ?

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It didn't have a season during this year's eligibility.

20. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    The Americans. The best series that no one watches. I really hope someone from the series end up wining something.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    soitscometothis and solojones like this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The Americans isn't only the best show no one watches. It's been the best show on TV, period.

BadCane likes this.
  22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    was Roseanne nominated ?

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    AFAIK only Laurie Metcalf was nominated from the show.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not anymore ;(

25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Sorry to see MST3K got shut out. Mark Hamill definitely deserved a nomination for his guest shot when they featured the thoroughly odd "Carnival Magic".