main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah that was horrible.

But...

DANIEL RICCIARDO

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Crazy crash at the end.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This guy.

[​IMG]

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Canada delivers again![face_party]

Great win for Ricciardo. One of many methinks. ;)

What the hell was Massa doing? :eek: Time to retire?

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I really hate Rosberg. Just want to say.

halibut likes this.
  6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Has Ender joined #TeamLewis ? :eek:

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I prefer Lewis of the two. But that's not saying much.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Are we talking Hitler V. Stalin here? Or perhaps Pol Pot V. Mao? [face_laugh]

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmmm...

Perez punished for Perez/Massa accident but Massa's still not happy;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27765143

My initial take on the accident is that it was entirely Massa's fault, but after reviewing the accident it does appear that Perez moves off line and brakes a little early before the corner, so maybe I was a little harsh in my initial judgement that Massa should retire, LOL! [face_laugh]

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    From the onboard cameras on both cars, if there's any "blame" to be had, it's squarely on Massa. He moves into Perez. It's staggering that Perez was penalised.

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    If you follow Vettel (who is directly in front) you can see that Perez moves off the racing line.

My general take in these kinds of accidents is that the onus is really in the car behind (in this case Massa) to overtake without hitting the car in front if possible.;)

Given that Perez moves off the racing line I would say it's six of one, half a dozen of another, or "a racing incident" in other words.

I Think the penalty is harsh and have no idea what Massa is on about saying that Perez should be punished even more, LOL.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Massa's hands move in a clockwise direction immediately before the crash. I don't think Perez could have done anything to stop it. Penalty is ridiculous

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm happy they're both alive. Don't see many that bad anymore.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Was certainly a lot of energy involved. It really is quite incredible how safe they've made the cars now.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Perez is definitely at fault; he moved off line at the last second to defend. Coupled with shot tyres and failing electronics - possibly the turbo unit - he knew he was being outpaced and has mirrors to prevent this sort ofthing. Perez is a lot like, but not as bad as, Paydriver Malretardo in that they're never at fault when they drive like GP2 idiots. How many times have we seen Perez turn in on someone? Hell, he spent most of 2013 doing that to JB. Massa is furious because he was on track for a podium, but that doesn't free Perez up from any responsibility.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Thank you for convincing me I'm right.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Actually we never chatted about this, but did Nico deserve a penalty for cutting the chicane at the wall of champions?

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    He deserved something. The 'Hamilton wasn't trying to pass' reason is nonsense. That implies that the leader of a race is free to cut corners. But karma came in with his poor pit stop. Emotions aside, it's a tough one. He clearly gained an advantage but I don't know what a fair penalty would be. Maybe take off a few seconds of his final time.

19. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Unable to comment on this race, as on holiday with no tv channels showing the race.

Glad Massa and Perez okay. Massa is always vehement on the penalising of other drivers (unless its Alonso) regardless of facts.

BBC F1 webpage said both Mercs had simultaneous power loss to their hybrids; how the hell does that happen? External (to the cars) cause?

21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Perhaps the regulars in this thread can explain something to me.

Although I always enjoy a good F1 race (and last Sunday's was one of the best ones I've seen), I am first and foremost a casual NASCAR and IndyCar fan, and so my view on the world of motorsports is primarily shaped by those two series. As such, I am baffled by the FIA's obsession with issuing a penalty of some kind seemingly every time two F1 cars make contact on the track. Why can they not just chalk accidental contact up as a "racin' deal" and move on without penalties?

Take the Lap 1 incident on Sunday as an example. If Chilton spins in the exact same manner in the middle of the race with nobody else around him, he'll bring out yellow flags and maybe the safety car, but won't get a penalty. But because there just happened to be another car right beside him that couldn't avoid him, he gets penalized. When I look at it from that perspective, it appears to me, the IndyCar/NASCAR fan, that he's essentially being penalized not for losing control of his car, but because there happened to be another car that couldn't avoid him, which isn't really something he can control.

Why does the FIA do this? Why do they insist on finding someone to penalize for every collision? I'm not arguing that they shouldn't do this, at least not yet, because I'm not familiar enough with F1 to make that argument. I'm just looking for a good explanation here.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Because in both the incidents in question, driver negligence contributed to another driver's race being ruined.

For example, under wet conditions in Canada in 2011, Jenson Button made contact with Fernando Alonson and Lewis Hamilton both. Alonson was bumped and spun, Hamilton turned in under low vis, but ruined his car without upsetting JB's pace.

No penalties were issued there. Chilton and Perez both ruined another driver's race through their own negligent driving, hence the penalty.

Rosberg should've been penalised and wasn't, it's worth noting.

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    This happens all the time in NASCAR and IndyCar, generally without penalty. Most penalties for contact in those series are in some way related to intentional retaliation. So what's the difference between them and F1 that causes the FIA to penalize almost every time? I can understand F1 having higher standards, given that the drivers are supposed to be the best in the world, but this seems to be too extreme.

In regard to last Sunday, I'm not disputing Perez's penalty; changing his line like that was a rather bonehead move that he never should have done, and he deserves the consequences of that (plus he should have retired the car as soon as the brakes failed; I'm not convinced that the issue was resolved and believe that may have played a role in the crash). But I still don't understand Chilton's penalty, because his incident was a simple accident.

As for Rosberg, I don't recall him causing contact; if you're referring to cutting the chicane, then yes, he should have been penalized, because he gained the distinct advantage of breaking Hamilton's DRS, at least for a couple of laps.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, I am referring to the chicane incident.

First lap incidents are coming under increasing levels of intolerance from the FIA, largely since Romain Grosjean's first corner shenanigans at Spa (which took Alonso out and therefore gifted the Champtionship to Vettel). Chilton's was a first lap incident.

I think part of the distinction is yes, F1 is a bit more conservative and that's kept drivers alive longer. Indy can't say the same thing.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    What happened in the Spa incident that you mentioned? I'm not familiar with that. Being in the U.S., and being a lover of sleeping in, the only races I usually get to watch are those in the Western Hemisphere (although I do usually set three alarms so I can watch Monaco from bed).