main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, Turn 1 (La Source) at Belgium is a short run hairpin, so there's scope for lots of collisions. Grosjean's gone in with colder brakes, gone straight into a group and nearly removed Fernando's head. Would suggest looking it on YouTube for it, it's astounding. Earned him a 1 race suspension but also meant Fernando came 2nd that year.

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, I seem to have found it. That was just ridiculous. If it affected the championship that much, then I can see why they would crack down more on collisions like that and in general.

Overall, penalties almost every time still seems a little excessive to me, but I think have a better understanding now of why they do it that way. Thanks for explaining things. :)

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    great news. what kind of state he's in is another story, though -- dpes anyone know the usual chances of (full) recovery when coming out of a 6 month coma?

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think everybody is different but I would say it's very unlikely he'll ever get back to how he was pre-accident.There are bound to me some permanent changes or limitations in his brain function, mobility, speech, mood/personality etc...

Hopefully he'll be able to recover enough to at least have a reasonable quality of life. I think his determination and "will" is going to stand him in good stead for the long rehabilitation process over the next couple of years.

What's quite remarkable about head injuries is that whilst the brain can't repair the damage done to it, it does find way's to adapt and create new path-ways for neurons to transmit to one another. It does this when the brain is stimulated, so the more Michael can do the more his recovery can progress.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    There was a link to a very good article (iirc on Deadspin) written by a doctor specializing in these kinds of injuries. It's not a very pretty picture: wheelchair, diminished mental capacity, etc.

I like how some media outlets today are portraying it as if he "woke up" all at once, going immediately from 0 to 100. Not how it works.

Here you go.

A new post on Jalopnik that includes a bit of analysis from that doctor. Not a very optimistic picture, the doctor essentially interprets the press release as saying that he's in a minimally conscious state that that isn't likely to improve.

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm relieved to hear Michael is out of the coma.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Being out of the coma means something very specific, which we tend to assume means "he's awake and fine!"

No, he's not. He's responding to stimulii, he's not writing his memoirs or even speaking.

yankee8255 and halibut like this.
  10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Congrats to Massa on the Austrian pole position. And to Williams for the 1-2.

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Shocked and surprised, but happy to see Williams with a 1-2. There were times in recent years when I didn't think it would ever happen again! :eek:

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm reminded of Westley in The Princess Bride, when Fezzek and Inigo are all excited because he can move his finger.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I am just so sick of the Merc drivers. I don't mind that Merc is winning, it's just that their drivers are so utterly unlikable, and almost proud of it.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It's probably too much to hope that if things get really bitter between the Hamilton and Rosberg somebody could come through the middle to snatch the title - Like Kimi in 2007 when Hamilton and Alonso were at their nadir. If Red Bull were stronger you could just about envisage that scenario, but RB just aren't competitive enough...

Actually it's looking like a fairly easy Championship for Rosberg at the moment. Unless Hamilton can find a couple of wins within the next 2-3 races it looks like the drivers championships going German. Again.:p

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't underscore how much I hate Rosberg.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

LOL! What's he done to upset so?

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Use the square brackets and the 'u'.

Nice work Bottas, first podium.

Regardless of stewards decision, I'm placing the Canada collision on Massa. Interestingly, although Perez car did nudge slightly to the left, a couple of posters on the James Allen' site say they had watched Perez onboard cams, and he hadn't actually turned the steering wheel when the car moved.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They showed onboard cams from both, it's classic Perez. No grace, all elbows, the result of confidence gained by buying a seat.

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Its also classic Massa. Cause a collision, vehemently crying foul.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes. That is a sensible response. Massa, finally in a team which doesn't treat him like a second class citizen, storming for a possible podium, would cause an accident knowing full well Checo's reputation as the queen of the GP2 driver mentality (Paydriver Malretardo is the king) would get the other in trouble.

Sound.

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    As others have pointed out, though perhaps not here:

"Checo's reputation as the queen of the GP2 driver mentality"

Ricciardo passed, no probs.

Vettel passed, no probs.

Massa....CRUNCH! Got to be mad Perez' fault.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, because he has a tendency to be elbowy on corners. So is Pastor.

Did his entire season at McLaren, complete with an incredulous world champion teammate asking "what is he doing?!", not happen or something?

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I do think Massa is next to useless, TBH...

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I don't care for Massa at all, but he doesn't turn in on people in corners like Checo does.

But it's ok, Checo will never be champion. :)