main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    ferrari's 2018 car:

[​IMG]

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    alonso took the new mclaren car out for a spin:

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. x_SwordoftheJedi_x

x_SwordoftheJedi_x Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2008
    Is anyone else really disliking the look of the halo? I get it's there for safety reasons, but aesthetically it's not great. I quite like the look of the McLaren (minus the halo, of course), hopefully they'll be more competitive this year! [face_praying]

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think everyone hates the halo's looks.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    F1's launching F1TV, a paid streaming service.

Commercial-free, all on-board driver cameras on-demand for GPs, practice, and qualifying - and includes the lower series and Porsche Supercup.

$8-$12 USD, based on location.

My hope is that both INDY and NASCAR watch F1 lead the way in motorsports, yet again, as they did with their great app years ago, and decide to follow suit.

Hef likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm in.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    It can’t be a good thing when the design looks like they used flip-flops for inspiration.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    they had those screens that they tested, but they weren't bolted down as if they were official and it gave motion sickness.

Instead of testing them properly, they went with the halo.

Seems idiotic til you consider this:

[​IMG]

For reference, this is the "Formula X" car from Project Cars 2, a sort of game-designed open wheel series. It has a canopy like F1 ought have had:

[​IMG]

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What the ****.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    ESPN2's attempt at covering the Australian Grand Prix is a complete failure so far. They've attempted to switch to Australia multiple times. The first few times produced just a stationary camera shot of an empty track with no sound. They went to commercial and came back a couple of times with no improvement. Then after another unscheduled commercial break, they were able to change cameras and get ambient sound, but still no commentators. They've now given up and are showing some E:60 show about ranking the top sports teams in history. I don't want that. I want my F1 race. :mad:

EDIT: Now they've totally given up and are simulcasting the UK broadcast from Sky Sports. That's better than not having anything at all.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ha, i was coming here to say the same thing. staying up to watch the start, at least, but it's been as bad as expected, so far.

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    At least they resorted to using Sky's broadcast while they fumble around with their own.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Gonna go to sleep soon, but that is a big ****ing plane.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    rough for the haas duo.

Martoto77 and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Great stuff for Alonso.. So happy

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Lewis winning :"I almost don't believe how blessed I am with things to be humbly grateful for. I'm just so, so thankful. And humbly grateful to give thanks for it."

Lewis not winning :"I don't believe it."

Don't get the angst about the halo. It hardly ruins the look of an otherwise aesthetically harmonious machine. Everything on those cars is functional. It's the fact that they go PDQ that we tolerate most of the eyesores that are designed give each of them a couple of hundredths,

Just don't use the onboard camera angles that are stuck right behind the thing. That is just stupdity.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i was really hoping ricciardo would catch kimi on those last few laps to get the podium at home, but it never seemed like he was as close to getting there as it was being made to sound.

happy for both alonso and vandoorne getting points in the first race of the year. that's got to be a best case scenario for mclaren.

@Ender Sai, if you were there, I hope you had a great time. Was a great race to start the year, especially so with Merc not winning.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Hamltion will bounce back, kinda robbed today tbh. Alonso.. says the mclaren gonna suck till 3rd race.. well if they do that.. if they can find some more pace they'll be a force for that Red Bull team.

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    seems like the obvious thing is that if you take a pit stop during a virtual safety car, you have to also abide by the safety car speed restriction.

that being said glad Vettel was able to take advantage [face_dancing]

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He was 100% there.

I was at turns 9 and 10, so I saw Lewis go deep and lose that time to Sebastian. Here's a shot of Dan from FP3.

[​IMG]

I think I have video of how close but Dan was <1 car length from Kimi. I usually have the app on listening to the BBC coverage, and that also has timing so the gap was between 0.1 and 0.9 s at that peak point.

Juliet316, heels1785 and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh wow.

I was watching the ESPN/Sky feed on an IPad without the live data - I’ll defer to your take!

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    See if this works...

heels1785 likes this.
  23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The rules are quite clear and they only give drivers a potentially tiny advantage in a tiny window. All the drivers know the rules. And they are aware that the VSC sector delta that cars must keep to on track is an irrelevance when you come into the pit lane, with its 80kph/50mph to change tyres. If you applied the average overall speed restriction that they VSC is intended to impose (around 35-40%), the cars on track still do an average of 135kph/85mph.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah and let's not forget that Sebastian lost the lead at I think China last year under similar circumstances, so Lewis deserves no sympathy here.

Also, here's the opening lap from turn 9/10 perspective:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018