main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't know; I really love COTA (though if you get out of shape between turns 3 and 9, you lose so much time!) and looking at the Road America track I just can't see it being as challenging. I will concede it does appear to offer some good overtaking opportunities though.

2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    End of an era. Still, very proud of Mark and his results.,.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm laughing so hard at that red Bull pitstop

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Brazil ALWAYS delivers. Love that circuit.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No podiums for McLaren all year.

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Stunning how the season seemed so wide open at the beginning, then turned into one of the most one-sided ever. Amazing team effort by Red Bull.

7. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Sorry to double post, but a rather frightening statistic I felt I needed to share: Vettel led 444 of 508 laps this season.

heels1785 likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, in a blow designed to empower shorn apes world-wide, Pastor Malretardo has bought a seat at Lotus F1. Malretardo ook'd that he could get that drive on talent, however the presence of talented drivers like Hulkenberg suggest no, Pastard, you bought it. You bought it.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Putting a band-aid on a gaping wound. Sure, it'll help them, but they've got two #2 drivers, both known quantities. Nico may not win at Force India (if that's where he goes), but he'll get podiums and catch on somewhere larger. Missed opportunity by a mismanaged team.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think Grosjean's really improved to be fair, but he and Hulk would have had so much raw talent. That's the key for the top 5 teams - Red Bull have Ricciardo and Vettel. Mercedes have Rosberg and Hamilton. McLaren ditched Perez for a new driver expected to be the next Lewis. Ferrari put Kimi and Fernando together. Lotus should have been on par but now? Not.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The schedule for 2014 is out, very nice to see Austria back on.

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Re. Winning championship in India:

I was so done with the ******* doughnuts by the end of Austin. It felt like Vettel had finally found something that makes him popular, and is going to do it to death now. However, sort of nice that the drivers - as Webber and Massa have joined in - have discovered this loophole in the rules, that no-one minds as long as you eventually return the car into park ferme, no one minds.

So, Ender, that Joe Saward site you put me on to - many thanks :) - listed the prize money for teams, and either it, or somewhere else mentioned how much the new power trains are going to cost, and it makes me worried for Lotus in spite of their Maldonado cash, and F1 prize money.

Just one of two tranches of the prize money gets them £35m, and the engines alone will set them back £40m! Plus PDVSA delayed the deal to get assurances that their sponsorship will go to develop the 2014 car, not to pay off old debts.

Makes me pessimistic that they can afford to pay Kimi his salary.

13. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    What the hell is this nonsense?

I know one-driver dominance is a problem consistently plaguing this sport, but if that is to be addressed at all, it should be through systematic changes, not transparent gimmicks like this.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm yet to see one fan who thinks this is a good idea.

It's moronic

heels1785 , epic and yankee8255 like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Vettel said it's idiotic, but then again - he would.

But having said this... I agree.

I do like the idea that drivers can keep their number though. Reminds me of a certain moustache and a red number 5 on the car...

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Saw this double points nonsense in the paper today. Farcical to say the least.

17. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    It makes the "medal system" idea from a few years ago seem positively brilliant.

18. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I feel like maybe if there was something more to the last race that made it more challenging, some reason beyond it just being arbitrarily the race that ended up being the last in the season maybe it would make sense.

I haven't followed F1 for very long, but from what I've seen I feel like overwhelming fan outrage is unlikely to cause any change on this. Am I right?

19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Dr Helmut Marko told a German paper, Bild perhaps(?), that the original idea had been to make the last four races double points, but that had been voted down.

Also, there has been speculation elsewhere that this last race thing has been because it will be Abu Dhabi, next year, and the organisers wanted reassurances the Championship would not already be over by then.

Anyway my reason for posting - driver updates:
    Perez to Force India

Sutil to Sauber

The Saward site mentioned a complicated idea in the article "Meanwhile in India (Part 42)": with concern over the financial affairs of Force India's two main sponsors, Vijay Mallya and Roy Sahara, if Lotus eventually do get the money from Quantum, then the now F.I.-driver Hulkenburg could get switched out to Lotus, with Force India taking Maldonado and his bucks!

As we keep being told, anything can happen in Formula One.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I was pretty disappointed that di Resta didn't get a drive. He doubled Sutil's points, stabbed 100% less people in the neck that Sutil, but Sutil got the drive. Meh.

21. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Hey guys.

Agreed on the last race getting double points being a bad idea, especially if they're just doing it to keep the season interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if a driver or team that worked very hard during the season gets screwed over and loses places because of this.

Of course, I didn't like when they changed the original 10 points for a win system so I'm a bit biased.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Welcome to the thread! :D

Autosport did a feature on what years it would have changed; obviously 2012 was one of them.

So, I'm more in favour now... :D

23. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks!

I'll look that up. I would guess 2008 as well. Massa won the Brazilian GP and Hamilton barely finished fifth to win the WDC

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  25. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks Again. I forgot how close KR and MS were in 2003.