main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2017.

1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Finished the races at Disney today. Probably the most interesting races I've ever done. Totally different than any other normal city race. Good time though. Some very warm temps probably cut into the half marathon time today, finished about 90 seconds slower than I was planning on.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm dealing with either an IT band problem or bursitis in my hips. I can walk, swim or do something low-impact on a machine but just the idea of running is painful right now.

I'm considering signing up for the sprint tri I usually do the first weekend in June and just walking the run portion.

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've been up for 22 hours straight, that time span including a half marathon followed by 9 straight hours at EPCOT.

soitscometothis and Guidman like this.
  4. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    That was me yesterday but Hollywood Studios.

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I haven't been that tired in years. Semi-recovered today but no nap which I desperately wanted.

Guidman likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Verdict Diagnosis for me is bursitis in both hips. I'm taking a wild guess that this is what getting impaled by a lightsaber through the pelvis would feel like.

Looking at exercise options--no running or biking, even on the stationary bike, for awhile; I can still swim if it doesn't hurt in the process (breaststroke is probably out due to the way the kick works). I can do planks, side planks, bridge poses and IT band stretches, in fact those are encouraged so I went through a round tonight.

Lifting is also acceptable/encouraged so this might be where I go from half-assed work with dumbbells to something more real with barbells.

Ezio Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    You Disney runners, always making it impossible for some of us to commute. :p

I'm down to 171 lbs. That means I'm one pound shy of where I was six years ago, before I gained pregnancy sympathy weight (ie. before fatherhood).

I'm in the best shape I've been in since my mid- twenties. I have to say, I owe some of that to this thread and the great people in it. Clearly the nicest, most supportive bunch in the YJCC.

So many things change in life when you feel good about yourself, when you feel confident and great in your own skin. I even somehow attracted a girlfriend who's basically the Maryjane to my Peter Parker (you know, before all that dumb clone drama).

Anyway, thanks, everyone for continuing to support everyone else. Truly the best thread I've ever been a part of in my decade and a half on these boards.

8. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Half-marathon coming up this Sunday. Forecast right now is 40 degrees with 50% chance of rain. It's either going to be ideal conditions or absolutely blow. We'll see.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I ran in light drizzle and 45 degrees today. That was just cold enough to make me run faster. Don't know if I'd want to do a half marathon in that weather though.

Guidman and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Perfect weather for the half-marathon today. 40 degrees at the start, cloudy to begin with then the sun came out around mile 6. Couldn't ask for better conditions. New PR in the half.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    PR? That's great! What was your time, Guidman?

Guidman likes this.
  12. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Personal record.
    One hour thirty five minutes

Mortimer Snerd, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Hi kids, checking in here again. So since I started my sobriety/fitness thing in February I have lost 38 pounds. Went from my fattest ever at 240 pounds to 202 as of this morning. I went from swimming 500-700 yards a day to 1500 but even that feels weak now and I think I'm gonna up that to 2000 starting tomorrow.

Also been hitting the weights quite a bit but I am ignorant of my B,S, and D max numbers and other stats, but I'm developing a routine with core and cardio (in addition to swimming) everyday. I gotta say besides getting back into shape and dropping the fat, the biggest difference is simply how good I feel. Physically and mentally.

I may have found my new vice and it doesn't involve intoxicants, which is nice.

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Ha, just remember if you treat it like a vice it will involve injuries!

------​

A month ago my sister convinced me to try squats. One brief session and my legs hurt so bad I couldn't run for three days and going up stairs was perilous ordeal! Not tried any since.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  15. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah my first deadlift session (which seemed fine the day of) left me with sore glutes the likes of which I was definitely not expecting. I of COURSE made the mistake of mentioning how much my ass hurt the following day at work. Guess where that went.

Master_Lok and soitscometothis like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I feel off the soda wagon thanks to my class, or however that expression goes. Now that that's over, cutting back on pop should be easier.

17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Wow that's impressive... I went from 240-245 to about 190 a few years ago.... but it took me probably a year to lose it all (although the first 30 or so pounds came off fast)

Mortimer Snerd and Guidman like this.
  18. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Gone out for a few good bike rides lately, I try to do 2 or 3 rides a week.

It's been a pretty rainy cloudy spring here in Maine, though fairly mild, mid 40s-50s, perfect weather for some cycling, though I got soaked the other day.

19. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I think nothing other than water and alcoholic beverages :)

20. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Water, Unsweetened Tea, and Black Coffee only. Alcohol has a ton of calories in it.

Edit: I drink a pint of Chocolate Milk every morning after my workout though. Apparently that's a good thing.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Tomorrow morning is my 3rd annual Flying Feet Five-Miler, the race through the park with dirt paths and crazy hills, the worst one in the last mile. It's no walk in the park.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Good luck!

Sarge likes this.
  23. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Finally got a new road bike last week. Biking in the summer is a really enjoyable activity.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Finished 17th out of 56 runners in 43:21. Man, that last hill is a bear. The first 4 miles are mostly nice downhill running, then in the last mile it's all the way back up to the top with a slope that makes you want to crawl on your hands and knees. I was practically screaming for air. Felt great when I finished, though.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Congrats!

Sarge likes this.