main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2017.

1. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

Guidman how often do you run per week ? In September I want to try 3 training runs/week. I think I would struggle to fit in more. My mile PB is 6:22 (2016)

Do you guys struggle to fit in training with other commitments eg work, family ?
    Swimmers amongst you: chlorine pools really messes up your hair, doesnt it ?
    Did PB today, 500m non-stop (20 lengths of 25m pool)

Sarge and Guidman like this.
  2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Right now in the summer, I normally do 20-30 miles per week over 4-5 runs. I try to bike twice a week too.

In January-May, I'll do 5 runs a week for 30-35 miles.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Today I had the best run I've had all year. Felt really strong, powering up the hills, climbing like a homesick angel. O:)

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Surgery on the 25th went really well, and I'm healing quickly. The only annoying thing is that I came home from the hospital 10 pounds heavier than the day I left. It's probably water weight from the IV, plus more from the prednisone they had me take before I swallowed contrast dye for the leak test. (I'm allergic to contrast dye.) I'm losing a bit of water weight every day, so that's something. I'm trying to have a sense of humor about it.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Black Leader , when I'm training for a triathlon, I run three times a week, bike once and swim once. Runs after work are easy to fit in during daylight savings but I'll usually swim before work just to make sure I can get a lane in the pool. Swimming doesn't really mess up my hair but I also make sure I wash it as soon as I get home, and I wear a cap.

I got about 12 miles of hiking in the past few days in the mountains. It was glorious, and strenuous enough that my quads are sore.

7. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Hovering around 190 lbs, which is a little frustrating. I'm definitely not "fat" anymore but not quite yet where I want to be. I'm doing this semi-aggressive 30 day cut right now, so hopefully at the end of the month I'll be around 185 and able to play chess on my abs. I suffered a completely inexplicable and utterly unnecessary hip injury this summer which set me back something awful and caused nothing but pain and impedance. That's impedance, meaning a serious obstacle in the way of progress, not wiener trouble.

Currently my afternoons consist of fighting like a madman against the temptation to eat candy...which I am surrounded by. I never had a sweet tooth when I was younger. Don't get old, kids, it kind of sucks.

Master_Lok, Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, aging isn't for sissies, but what's the alternative?

9. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Oh man, we bought a jogging stroller before the baby was born. Then I started with sciatica problems in my last trimester, which continued after birth. Which means the jogging stroller hasn't got much use so far.

But: I went to PT to work on strengthening my core, and my symptoms have improved greatly. I signed us up for a 5k in September, which I intend to do as a power-walk, jogging stroller (and baby) included. Wish me luck.

Master_Lok, Guidman , Sarge and 2 others like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just don't eat food anymore and stick to a liquid diet *hic* that's worked *hic* great so far.

11. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    OOooh! Good luck!! :D

12. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I saw the doctor for my 10 day post-surgery visit today. He says I look good. Also, I've lost 27 pounds since July 10, so that's cool too.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Rethinking my work day diet...apparently all that good fat is not really; it is hanging out around my mid section. Time to get back into stretching.

The daily drawing is starting to help my moods again. Worth getting up at the crack of dawn to give myself 25min of art therapy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I had two jogging strollers. Both were so much more expensive than regular strollers, and neither were great to run with.

Maybe others have better luck, but I hated running with them.

15. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    I'm 86 kg. Which is about 190 lbs, according to Google. I don't feel all that overweight. But my doctor says I am at least 6 kg over my healthy weight. Gotta drop down to 80, at least. I'm trying. I am eating less. But, as for physical activity; I either don't have time to exercise more or, when I do, I'm too damn lazy lol It is frustrating. I have recently purchased a boxing bag, plus one of those smaller swinging bags, and a Muk Yan Jong (wooden dummy used in Wing Chun and other Chinese Kung Fu martial arts training); plus some new dumbbells and barbell. Set it all up in a room we are not otherwise using at the moment. I took up martial arts as a kid, which helped me keep in shape back then and also work out a lot of my inner demons. Now will go back to that :) And the weightlifting will help too. I guess we'll see the results in a couple months... lol

soitscometothis and Sarge like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What do you do for cardio, Sergey?

17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I recently relapsed on my alcohol consumption and had been spending almost every night getting black out drunk lately. Recently told myself that I wouldn't allow it any more and have taken up running again and am back down to one glass of medium strength beer per night. I've already lost 13lbs, and am only just overweight with a BMI of 25.1. I'm not waking up in the morning regretting the evening before anymore either, so I'm definitely keeping up with what I'm currently doing.

I just purchased a pull up bar and am thinking of investing in a kettlebell (As per @yeurgh's suggestion to me on page 4) to help me on the fitness front for once the chilly weather starts to kick back in in the Autumn.

18. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    The absolute best way to get where you want to be is to keep at it man. You can do it if you want to.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So this new place I would be working at has a small gym. I will have to take advantage of that.

20. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    That is very cool. My company doesn't have a gym, but they're doing the next best thing which is to pay half of the membership cost of the gym of our choosing. I've been taking advantage of that because I think I'd be a fool not to. Also if I win the company fitness contest (final weigh-in is tomorrow) they'll pay for my membership in its entirety for a year.

I better win, dammit.

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    See yourself winning...and enjoy your free membership. =D=

I have to think of something to do exercise-wise, until I am reemployed. I've been walking every other day, but I might try the half-baked kung fu fitness videos again.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I ran three miles today, first time I've run since I got the hip bursitis and spinal disc degeneration diagnosis 3-4 months ago. Holy hell I was slow, I think people could have beat me walking, but it felt really, really good to be running again.

23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    100KM bike ride this morning (had to wear the Star Wars cycling jersey of course). Really enjoyable but hills aren't the funnest thing on a bike.

Also, I officially can understand the rampant blood doping that went on in professional cycling. I can't even fathom doing 2,000+ miles over three weeks and probably 20K+ over a year.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Starting to stretch and doing my eye exercises more intensely now that my prescription is ridiculous. Will start walking again tomorrow, have to get more oxygen pumping.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    My lower back has been aching but I've still been going to the gym for my full body weight training on machines. I'm thinking of taking today off though. Or should I just suck it up and go?