main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2017.

1. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    I've got a predicament... my old gym in London is hosting a strongman competition at the end of May. Weight categories are 90kg, 105kg and open... I'm sitting at 98kg at the moment but some of that is dead weight (I've not done much conditioning over the winter). So... do I drop the dead weight and compete at 90kg, or do I break out the high rep squats and peanut butter sammiches and bulk up to 105? I've got a powerlifting comp in April but all I need to do there is get a qualifying total for nationals (which I can do in either the 90 or 100kg category - qualifying totals are fairly low for old, drug free lifters like me).

In other news, I had a lovely time the day I went to Bangor. I was only passing through on my way to Anglesey but a lovely day nevertheless.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I like the song. But the accents are completely different in our Bangor. Trust me. Ayuh.

yeurgh likes this.
  3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I have gotten off Track, At my highest weight I was 330 pounds, at my lowest I was 175 pounds meaning since I have been getting in Shape since 2014,
    this is me at about 175,
    I'm the taller guy,
    [​IMG]
    Sadly since I moved I got way off Track, I am now 240 pounds give or take. I am getting on Track today, more exercise and no midnight snaking. The way I lost all the weight was, strict Diabetic diet Like I had in the hospital when I had Lithium poisoning, Exercise, and no night time eating or binge eating, I know I can do it, Its just will power and mind over matter...

4. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Good luck Leoluca!

I'm always breaking the rules here and offering advice. While willpower is great in the short-term, it's forming sustainable habits that works in the long term.

If you can build three habits into your daily life - let's say eat lean protein with every meal, eat 5 different types of vegetables/fruit each day and walk for 30 mins each day - and maintain that for a year you'd be surprised at the difference it makes. It's great to do more when you're feeling motivated but if you keep those three habits as a baseline that you practice every single day, I promise you'll be in a much better place this time next year.

Juliet316 , Guidman and Sarge like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Stupid head injury two days ago has sidelined some of my exercising (this is the third time I hit my head on that cabinet and it was a bell-ringer.:oops:I haven't shown any of the signs of serious brain trauma -thank goodness- but I have to be super careful).

Naturally, this has me wondering if there is any martial art that aren't combat-centric, I cannot risk sparring and getting clocked in the head or neck. No tumbling and such either (which cuts out several Japanese martial arts). :(

The good news: the horse stance and green juice actually relieved some of the pressure in my head yesterday, so I do hope I can find a martial art that is not sparring-centric.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sure, Master_Lok, there are options for people who want to practice martial arts as mindfulness/stress relief/fitness etc. Ever see groups doing Tai Chi in the park? I'm sure if you ask, you can find groups that do exactly what you need to.

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Yup. I was thinking Tai Chi*, but I will have to inquire at the school I was thinking about, I may ask the Shimu at the Eagle Claw School how sparring-centric eagle is. I can deal with grappling and joint locks away from those areas, but I know Tae Kwon Dao is definitely out of the question. Thanks for the response.

*Ironically, the step-by-step Tai Chi dvd arrived at home today so I give that a look first.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    so true Lifestyle changes as well! my sister has IBS, so she cant eat Gluten for instance. that is when a lifestyle change is needed. my sister once told me don't call it dieting call it a life style change.

9. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    A diet always appears like a temporary thing to me. Being a smarter eater is more important and that's a great lifestyle choice.

Just to laugh, I was at the grocery store last week and I saw a display for Crystal Clear Pepsi. I basically never drink pop since it isn't good for you but I wanted to get some just to see if it still tasted as bad from when they came out with it 25 years ago. I looked at the label and it was a 24oz bottle and it had 63g of sugar in it! No thank you. Just by looking at the labels of food, its amazing what you can cut out or substitute in.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, soda is a killer. Just imagine eating a candy bar the size of a soda bottle. I limit myself to no more than 2 sodas a week, obviously, less would be even better, but, hey, I like it!

11. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    A little gem from xkcd:

[​IMG]

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ooh, queasy...

Master_Lok and yeurgh like this.
  13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I quit soda over a year ago I drink Water, Sparkling water, Low fat Milk, Juice, Tea and sometimes Almond Milk just White Almond milk. Sparkling water has Spring Water, and C02, in it nothing else C02 has not been linked to tooth decay so a new study found. sometimes I get sparkling water with natural flavor, lemon. so 3 ingredients, spring Water, C02 and natural flavors. one thing my Aunt in California says all the time and she is a Buddhist health nut, the less ingredients the better!

my dad is retired FDA so I am on the up and up on what's really in food and what's not;) and food safety!

Guidman likes this.
  14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ugh, all this did is make me want to drink a bottle of cake frosting and a gallon of Skittles.

Just kidding, I've actually been trying real hard to cut back on my pop consumption but it's very difficult for me. Still I have cut down significantly and it definitely makes the weight loss easier.

15. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    My Steel Shredder competition entry. LANGUAGE WARNING FROM ABOUT 10 MINS IN.

Bit disappointed really, grip endurance just isn't there. Fitness level is really poor, too, after doing no conditioning work over the winter. Takes about 17 mins for the snap, which I think puts me about 18th place out of 46 competitors worldwide. Sounds ok, but I was beaten by Liz Horne. Ok, she holds about 11 world records but even so... lost to a girl!

16. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    OMG my hands hurt just from watching that. Don't know a damn thing about the sport but I'm impressed.

anakinfansince1983 and yeurgh like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only diet I trust is Weight Watchers. Its options are actually doable long term.

I have made fun of people for doing shake or juicer diets.

"Are you going to do that forever?"

"No, just until I lose X amount."

"Erm, OK. That's productive."

I only have the occasional soda, once a month tops. I usually drink seltzer water. I like the carbonation but don't want the corn syrup or sugar.

yeurgh likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    yeurgh I've had my butt kicked by girls with swords many times. You get used to it.

19. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Yeah, there's still a few women in the world who can outlift me. World class athletes are a breed apart!

With fat loss, it can be psychologically difficult to give up certain foods. One way around this is simply to add good food to the diet and work on the principle of displacement. In other words, if you add a high protein breakfast, eat lean protein and 2-4 handfuls of veg with each meal and 8 glasses of water a day, there won't be much 'room' for junk. Very important to also sleep well and deal effectively with stress. Sleep deprivation and chronic stress can both lead to intense cravings for sugary ****.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Tomorrow it's time for my 30 k ski race. I'm not well prepared at all, but the weather is looking to be perfect so I'm simply going to take it easy and enjoy it as a nice day in the sunshine. I've given up on doing it in under 3 hours, so I'm hoping for a time around 3:30.

21. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Good luck!

22. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I used to enjoy coca cola and the like when I was a child. I think because my mom is a huge fan of soda. But when I became a teenager, I started losing my interest in soda. I didn't like the aftertaste it left in my mouth and back of my throat. Since then, I go months at a time without even taking a sip of soda. On the random occasion that I want to drink rum though, then yeah, I'll mix it with coca cola (which I think does taste better than Pepsi).

But rum gets me silly really fast, so I might consume it maybe once a year or so.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    No ones going to blame you there. There's a reason they call it a rum and coke instead of rum and pepsi. ;)

Sarge and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Awww sorry yeurgh and Sarge. I have kicked a few man butts in my time. Not always at sports... I won't digress here.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Pepsi is for wussies who can't handle Coke. :p