main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I could not be more disgusted with Uconn right now.

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I wish Pitt would make up their minds and figure out if they are going to suck or be decent this year. All this stuff is killing me.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Tre Woodall's been a huge part of their turnaround.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Duke-UNC's been a great game as usual so far.

So far, so good.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Duke's been hitting a lot of threes. Odds are it won't keep happening. Live by the three, die by the three.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Cuse with a close win. UNC/Duke always a good one to watch.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I caught the OT of the 'Cuse-Georgetown game. It was pretty good. I know that Carmelo Anthony left the 'Cuse a while ago, but I think it's funny when they talk about Melo for the Orange and it's not Caremlo.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    What McClain said.

Also, Duke's interior defense has been bad of late, and it's nonexistent tonight. Horrendous.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Doesn't help that Carolina's got a great front court, either.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Also, it seems like Duke's still trying to get their first rebound of the night.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Carolina's been great, but gave up too many fouls early in the second half.

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_plain] Way to close out the game. [face_plain]

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I had the game on in the background for the 1st half, and turned it off at halftime to put on MSNBC. Put it back on when I noticed on ESPN.com that it was a 1 point (soon to be 2) lead for North Carolina with under 14 seconds left, just in time to see Austin Rivers hit that game winning 3-pointer. I don't have a horse in this race, so I was able to appreciate a buzzer beater ending. But of course it had to be Austin Rivers hitting that shot (Lakers play in Boston tomorrow). I did smile/was touched a bit by Doc & his wife going bonkers in that stands after the shot.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

14. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I always pull for the away team in the Duke vs UNC games. Because its nice to see the home team fans upset.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow. Just wow.

What a finish. What a night for Austin Rivers. 29 points, none bigger than the game winning 3... but he was feeling it all night.

And I'm supposed to get to sleep now so I can get up early and teach Calculus? Not sure how that's going to happen...

16. DMC

DMC Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2000
    I'm still in shock. That strange sequence with the airball three that Zeller accidentaly tipped in for a bucket was just crazy. Carolina's got talent, but they need to mature, basketball-wise.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Not been a great day. The banner doesn't help..

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Late reply, and I know I've been gone from The Arena lately, but I had to post my thoughts on this one.

I remember the 2001 Final Four semifinal when Duke came back from double digits with only a minute left to eliminate Maryland. About a year later, I was at a basketball game at my undergrad of Anderson College where we were playing Coker College (I think). Anderson too had a 10-point lead on Coker with only a minute or two to go. My friend in the stands next to me seemed to think we had the game in hand, but I reminded him of what Duke had done in the Final Four the year before. His response was to point at Coker and say, "Yeah, but THAT'S not Duke." Sure enough, Anderson held on for a fairly easy win that night.

So last night, when UNC still had a 10-12 point lead with only a couple minutes left, while I was tempted to give up on the game, turn off the TV, and go to bed, I had this lingering thought, "If anyone can come back from this, it's the Blue Devils." Then they cut the lead to 7. Then 4. And I was instantly transfixed on the game again. And this was why when Austin Rivers hit that game-winning 3-pointer at the very last second, I went on to Facebook and Twitter to merely post, "And that is why we are DUKE!"

An absolutely legendary finish and why Duke is such a magical team. And Rivers showed that he is something truly special, not just at the end, but all game long. There was a short time when "Austin Rivers" was the #1 trending topic on Twitter worldwide last night, and I think it was well-deserved. That boy had ice in his veins. Granted, outside of Rivers's incredible offense, it was ugly. Our defense, rebounding, and free throw shooting were all horrendous, and something we have to improve on if we want to remain a top-10 team and ACC contender. Let's not delude ourselves: There was an element of luck for Duke last night.

It might be anathema for me as a Duke fan to say this, but I felt rather badly for Tyler Zeller last night--and I don't think it's fair for him to be receiving all the opprobrium that he's been getting. The Duke missed 3 that he tipped in was a complete fluke, an accident borne by too much effort toward the ball. You can't really fault him for that. He missed one free throw but then made the other. In a high-pressure situation, those things are going to happen. The only thing to legitimately fault him for would be not getting his hands up on Rivers at the end, but even then, he's not used to playing the perimeter, hence why he seemed a fish out of water. And as lights-out as Rivers was all night, I'm not even sure it would've mattered.

As a Duke fan, I would prefer to focus more on Rivers's successes than on Zeller's failures--and would encourage my fellow Blue Devils to do likewise. :D

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    As a Carolina fan, I have no issue with Zeller. He's been their most consistent player all season long. The charge that Barnes (I think it was him) with about 1:20 left is the point of my frustration. He had someone open, but instead, he dove into the defender. Turnover. Not having his basketball IQ sense on right then. That's what frustrated me.

It was an instant classic, even if the outcome stung.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I wouldn't call them "magical," but they sure played better than us when it counted. Long season ahead, lots of Florida States and Miamis for us both to trip over before we all start getting tingles up our legs.

And Zeller, IMO, is the best player we've got, week-to-week. He's got a bright future. Harrison Barnes, while astonishingly good at times, is wildly erratic, and I think he'll turn out like a Derrick Favors in the NBA.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I hate this ******* banner. So hard to read. So much pain to the eyes.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Quit complaining about Best. Banner. Ever. :p

Zeller's one heck of a player for sure, and he certainly showed that in the first half. Though Barnes is wildly talented, too.

23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Badgers get to 19 wins on the season and 8-4 in the Big Ten. Keep it up.

24. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Uconn lost to 'Cuse, but it was closer than the final score indicated, as opposed to that farce of a game against Louisville. It took Syracuse hitting a late flurry of threes to put us away (they shot 62% on them). Lamb and Drummond both had pretty poor games. Lamb has been struggling with his shot recently, and Drummond took plenty of shots for a change, but most were rubbish.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Damn. Buckeyes got pasted. At home. Friggin Sparty.