main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The margins of victory in tonight's games: 1, 2, 3, and....32. Yikes.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Truly an odd year. Lots of the time, we see the teams that heat up in their conference tourneys make deep runs - a la UConn a few years back.

This year, two of the final 16 (and one of the final 8) - Xavier and South Carolina, finished the season miserably. However, they've caught fire in the tournament.

So unpredictable - one of the many incredible qualities of this great tournament.

starfish and Rew like this.
  3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Watching Butler and NC game, Carolina looks pretty good already have over 50 points at the half.

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    South Carolina is up 15 points over Baylor at halftime.

heels1785 and Rew like this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Finish, my Carolinas. Finish strong.

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  6. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Butler is sort of trying to attempt a comeback, got to within 10 but I think NC looks too good.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hark the sound of Tarheel voices...

heels1785 likes this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Un-freakin-believable.

South Carolina in the Elite Eight. And they were absolutely dominant.

[​IMG]

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Holy crap. Florida.

South Carolina beat them in mid-January. Very familiar with each other. Should be a very good game.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH [face_dancing]

11. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Man what a heartbreaker for the badgers. Fouls and missed free throws really killed them, because otherwise I think they were the better team.

12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Incredible. I only watched the last 30 seconds of that game, and I'm glad I tuned in.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Florida had an 8 point lead with 1:44 to go in regulation and never trailed in the 2nd half.

I don't know how anyone could claim that Wisconsin was the better side. They were fortunate that Florida gave them the window to get to OT.

PCCViking likes this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, the Gators were down by 9 early in the first half, then rallied to take a halftime lead. Then Wisconsin rallied to force overtime, and then the Gators won in OT. No team was really "dominant," at least not like South Carolina has been.

15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    As a South Carolina fan, I'm much more worried about Florida than I would've been by Wisconsin. I feel like for the last few weeks of the regular season, the rest of the SEC basically "figured out" the Gamecocks, hence why so many teams were able to beat us down the stretch (including Florida in the rematch in late February) and why we got bounced in the first round of the SEC Tourney. Teams like Duke and Baylor had never seen us before so we were able to overwhelm them. But Florida... they know exactly what to expect, and they know from experience how to beat our defense. This is going to be a tough test for us--dare I say the toughest. (Sorry, fellow Blue Devils!)

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

The flip side of that is South Carolina knows what to expect from Florida as well.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Indiana's hiring Archie Miller from Dayton as their next head basketball coach.

Good for Alford for staying put - UCLA is the far better program at the moment, and will be for at least the next 2-3 years. Indiana is the equivalent of Notre Dame - you leave a mid-tier job to go there, but there's no reason to leave the bigger and better programs just because "they're Indiana." That aura is gone.

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Oregon is putting a clinic on Kansas. Keep it up!

starfish likes this.
  19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not really a college basketball fan, but given that the Final Four is at University of Phoenix Stadium, you can basically guarantee at least one historically great game. That place has the mojo of something decades older than it is.

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I have literal tears in my eyes right now. I never thought I'd see this happen. Unfreakingbelievable!

21. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Pretty impressive game from the Ducks.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    South Carolina Gamecocks to the Final Four.

Absolutely incredible.

dp4m, Rew and cubman987 like this.
  23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Very cool to see SC make it.....Gonzaga too, like to see teams who haven't made it before.

Rew likes this.
  24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm still in disbelief. [face_hypnotized] Never in all my wildest imaginings could I have seen the South Carolina men's basketball team in the Final Four.

I would also like to take this moment to take back everything I said about the Gamecocks belonging in the NIT a couple weeks ago!

Juliet316 and cubman987 like this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rew, I hope you're partying hard and/or in the Five Points fountain with the student body population.

Enjoy, amigo.

Good last 365 days for the state, athletically. Coastal Carolina with the NCAA Baseball NC, Clemson with the NCAA Football NC, and now the flagship University with a trip to the Final Four.

Edit - yeah, I should take back a statement, too. I said that Troy would give Duke a tougher test than SC. As is often the case, my prognostication skills = terrible.

Rew likes this.