main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit 2017 Novels (announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Skywalker2B, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm a bit concerned that I only need to make slots in my One Canon bookcase for three books in 2017 so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Guys stop this teasing. I would LOVE a Dooku novel (by James Luceno!).

Darthmaul208 and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am looking forward to Empire's End but I had the same thought. I hope there is an announcement about several new books when we get the Episode VIII and Han Solo movie trailers.

4. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I guarantee we'll be getting announcements this April at Celebration. I really hope that one of them is a Luke-focused book written by Claudia Grey.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Oh, man, that sounds so fantastic.

6. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    There's a lot of stuff I'd like to see her tackle (sequels to both Lost Stars and Bloodline are two of them), but given how well she captured Leia's essence and filled in her pre-TFA backstory, she's the author I'd trust most with the inevitable post-ROTJ, pre-TFA Luke-centric book.

Darkslayer and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    I would like A book by Grey, I don't care what it is.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Lucasfilm: Hey, Claudia. Would you mind writing a good book about the rise in popularity of Max Rebo?

Grey:

[​IMG]

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    He did get one awesome appearance in Shattered Empire #4. Wish we could get more of that for him.

10. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Considering the news today, I think another Leia centric book by Claudia Grey would be wonderful.

11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I think a sequel to Bloodline should happen in light of what happened :(

Darth Caliban and Noash_Retrac like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While I can see where you're both coming from, don't you think it'd look so very crassly commercial for LFL to do what you propose right now?

Daneira likes this.
  13. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Jedi Ben, No. I don't think so. However, I don't think they'll do that anyway. As I said before, Pablo has already stated that they have already planned out how and when they'll tell the stories set between RotJ and TFA. I do, however, think that the next couple of books will have dedications to Carrie.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You think announcng a new book right now wouldn't look like a company cynically profiting from her death? Wow, you're considerably more haritable than I am.

That said, yes, some books ought to have a dedication, that for me would be the right course, they just need to be the right books - I'd say Empire's End qualifies.

15. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    No, because I think it would look like a company understands what their customers want and try to deliver that. In this case, a Leia centric book in dedication to Carrie. There are always more than one way to look at something. ;) btw, usually I am very cynical.

I don't normally get too upset when a celebrity passes away (for me, it hurt more when Jack Kinsella and then Jack Kelley passed away. And I'm worried that Chuck Missler will not be around too much longer either), but I am upset about Carrie. Although seeing and hearing her in her latter years I was not too enamored with her "colorful language", she was very funny. And I credit her portrayal of Leia Organa as being a strong influence on a 7-8 year old boy who grew to love strong female characters. While Luke and Corran Horn are my favorite male SW characters, Leia, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo/Fel, Mirax Terrick/Horn, Jysella Horn, Tenal Ka, Vestara Ky, and Rey (Skywalker) were all my favorite female SW characters. As you can see, there are more female than male characters listed. I'm pretty confident that LFL/Disney will continue to develop and create strong female SW characters...and that we'll get stories with Leia for many more years.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Upon further reflection, I agree with Jedi Ben publishing a book about Leia would be too much right now.

I would love to see a series of books dedicated to the actors we have lost (R2, Dooku, Leia). Perhaps the profits could all go to a charity of the family of the actors' choosing?

As for a Luke book, I would love one written in the style of Bloodline. However, I feel like there may be a gag order on Luke-related material post-ROTJ, much like there was a restriction on what Whendig knew about the galaxy when writing Aftermath.

I feel like post Ep 8 we will see a lot more Luke stories.

17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I can actually imagine a Pre Episode IX novel being released soley about one last adventure of Leia's before she dies to Kylo Ren or somebody.

I don't want to trivialise Carrie's death but I can imagine that such a book would sell like Heir to the Empire

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ep 9 is 2-3 years away still, so, that'd probably work well, so long as they don't publish it anywhere near December.

19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I've only got a 2% likelihood of ever reading a new style SW bk I fear. Never would I have imagined an era where I would willingly be one of the snooty film only fans I used to despise so much but I think that will remain the case. My last SW bk was Crucible on its release date... my 2% is possibly Zahns Thrawn bk. That's the real test. If I pass that up I THINK I could say with 99.99% certainty I will stay movie only. It's become a sad world I've been ok with this choice. :(

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I remember us having this conversation last year and we got....not a lot but a few and good ones, shout out to Bloodline there.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  21. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Thrawn and the Episode VIII novel (provided the physical copy comes out in 2017) are must-buys for me. I'm holding off on the Aftermath Trilogy until they inevitably put them in one volume or all 3 are available in paperback. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another novel announced for 2017.

22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Guys, you know they are going to announce some tie-in books to Episode VIII, including a novel or two, at the Celebration in April.

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    There's a Chirrut and Baze YA book coming out. If it's anywhere near as good as the other 2 (Ahsoka and Lost Stars), it'll be worth looking forward to!

24. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    I enjoyed RO, and liked Chirrut and Baze better on my second viewing...but I have no desire to read a whole book about them. I'm hoping for another post-RotJ novel besides Aftermath (blah...I won't read anymore Wendig).

25. wizards8507

wizards8507 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    Are we sure it's going to be in the Ahsoka-and-Lost-Stars "YA" category? I thought it was going to be more of a junior novel a la Smuggler's Run.