main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2017 Oscars

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jan 24, 2017.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    All these years and you still take the bait?
    *shakes head

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You're always taking the piss, aren't you? :p

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I try. others do the same to me. It's the JCC circle of something.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    But, unlike those other three, it'll be rather obscure within the next couple of years. That's the recent trend in Best Picture winners.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  6. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I wouldn't bet on it. If it wins, it will end up being the highest grossing Best Picture winner since LOTR: ROTK.

Which of the recent Best Picture winners would you count as obscure?

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think it's so much obscure as forgettable. The Artist and The King's Speech are examples from this decade. Compare those, Birdman, and Argo to most of the BP winners in the 1990s and 2000s. Not a whole lot of staying power.

Maybe that's just my perception. I dunno.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  8. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Different strokes for different folks. La La Land might be deceptively simple on the surface, but I think it has a lot to say beyond the "follow your dreams" thematic trajectory.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    when was the last time, or ever that you saw Shakespeare in Love on tv?

most of these movies that i see anymore just are totally overrated. Argo, nice film....Best Picture of a year?! Birdman, i forgot until yesterday that it even won. I remember even some of the critics said the performances were better than the whole. i think back to The Godfather or To Kill a Mockingbird or Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur , which i just watched two months ago, and these movies they awarding don't even compare.

Guidman likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    ewoksimon My post wasn't meant to reflect my opinion on those films necessarily, but even now do people remember The King's Speech or The Artist as compared to Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Titanic, Gladiator, No Country for Old Men, and others (I'm not counting RotK because of course people remember LotR)? I am a bit skeptical that La La Land would change that trend.

Guidman and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  11. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I won't dispute that the Academy has made some mediocre or even awful choices for Best Picture in the past. These awards are more a product of campaigns playing to the tastes of a group of 6,000 industry professionals, not the general moviegoing public. La La Land wasn't even my favorite film of the year, but I still think it would be pretty deserving of Best Picture, given its thematic depth and how the craftsmanship elevates the narrative.

BigAl6ft6 and Guidman like this.
  12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    ewoksimon, I agree with you that La La Land won't be obscure in years (technically its great), but based off of the past few winners its easy to think that. The Departed is probably the last Best Picture winner that is still easily memorable. I'd be shocked if anyone has said in the past six years, "hey you want to watch The Artist?" Outside of La La Land, most of the other Best Picture nominees won't be remembered. Probably only Arrival and I could see Hell or High Water becoming a cult film.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Alright, time to see whether All The Social Justice or Hollywood ******** wins "Best" Picture.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The Artist, sure. But A King's Speech is still legitimately great and I'll watch it most times it's on. Certainly more than Birdman and I've never seen Argo (though that's just happenstance; I still want to).

15. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Even though it made significantly less money than most of the other nominees, Moonlight would absolutely be another worthy winner this year. Whether or not enough people saw it isn't a fault of the film, though. I suspect its reputation will grow in the years to come.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Argo was good but felt more like a tv movie , Birdman was just a chore , I found myself just looking for the invisible cuts as something to do while sitting thru it .

the only one I've seen this year is Hacksaw Ridge , and I can't see that winning .

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've heard nothing but good things about Moonlight, though I've seen none of the nominees this year.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It seems like TV and streaming (increasingly the same thing) are where most of the great artistic works are being made now in cinema. I think we've been in an age of safety in filmmaking, where studios have wanted to play things safe for the most part, as seen in the massive number of reboots, sequels, and prequels. Audiences are partly responsible for this as well-- we collectively keep going to those movies.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Moonlight should win on a quality basis. Arrival and Hell or High Water I would put just behind it, and those winning would be unusual in terms of genre. But I think it's probably going to be La La Land as part of a sweep.

EDIT: Major releases in cinema are more creatively bankrupt than ever, I would say-- adaptations and sequels are things Hollywood has always done, but it has gotten worse with massive budgets, cinematic universes, a global audience, and playing it very safe. However, I would not say that film has completely lost its artistic merit to television. Those three movies I named are good examples, and some recent fairly big-budget flicks such as Fury Road show that it's possible to have mass appeal without being stupid.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

I didn't mean to imply that it has completely lost artistic merit to television. Adaptations and sequels have always been around, but note that it took 20 years for a sequel to Independence Day, which would probably have had a greenlit sequel in weeks now, if not sooner. There have always been studios and executives playing it safe, but never more than today, where it seems to be almost mandatory. I agree that some big films have been strong while also being appealing. These seem uncommon, though. A big part of that goes back to audiences, I think. People want to feel safe (collectively speaking), and Hollywood reflects this.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I get the sense that the 90s were a decade of experimentation and new voices in movies, not seen since the 70s.

22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't know, there's always been sequels. i was watching TCM last night where they mentioned Summer of 42' had a sequel. i never knew that. American Graffiti had a sequel. there were movie series decades ago like The Thin Man. maybe people are just more conscious of it now.

23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Just finished watching the last of the best picture nominees I needed to watch. I think Moonlight is probably the "best" out of the bunch but Arrival is far and away my favorite followed by Hell or High Water. The others are all good but not sure I'd ever care to watch them again.

24. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I think the difference is that sequels would be dismissed as obvious money milking ploys in the past, were often put together haphazardly and would then go to limited release or straight to home video, whereas now franchises are planned as trilogies from the start with massive marketing pushes behind them, and we increasingly go to see them, which makes them viable. The problem is not that Hollywood tries to sell us crap. It always has. The problem is that we buy it more than we used to. Maybe because the increased ease of creating visual spectacle with CG has made us mistake 'impressive' production values for quality storytelling.

KnightWriter likes this.
  25. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016