main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    When did College Basketball figure out they could tap into the Cash Cow that College Football created with their rankings show, and start producing a "the committee right now" show? I'm not sure I like it. In football, it works because the drama of "who's in" makes for compelling arguments in the final month of the season "if x beats y, but only by z points, are they in?". Here, no one being highlighted is on the bubble of "in or out", just jockeying for seeding. So, while I'm excited that Ohio State is slotted in as a 4 seed, and three teams from Ohio are slotted in as top-four seeds ... I'm just not sure I like it. Some of the mysitque from Selection Sunday was about those #1 seeds. What did the committee value this year? What Bull**** reasons would they invent to justify giving Duke a #1, who were they going to **** over so Duke could have an easy region. This doesn't add to my excitement the way it does in football and kind of leaves me flat.

cubman987 and heels1785 like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I mean, it used to be an informal thing, tracking "bracketology," which made guys like Lunardi and Seth Davis valuable, because they generally had pretty good insight. It also made 5 PM on "Selection Sunday" must-watch television, as you mentioned. Watching Greg Gumble go through the bracket (before the age of it being leaked onto Twitter beforehand) was one of the highlights of the sports year. Now, we pretty much know what the bracket will look like (other than the SEC and B1G champions) a day or two before.

It just seems to be the direction that everyone's going in - networks trying to maintain relevancy in the age of Twitter with what amounts to meaningless, manufactured drama.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    See, I have no issue with "Bracketology" and "Bubble Watch" and those sorts of things from insiders/experts/predictors. That's a completely different thing than the committee themselves telling us "We currently see Ohio State as the #14 team in the country. Bracketology predictions make me look at them and go "Ohio State as a four? **** you, let's prove em wrong and get a 2 or 3!" The Committee themselves saying it? It's mote like - "damn, let's not fall further than a 4", and takes away suspense even more so, because it's official, and not a projection.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ASU gave Arizona a hell of a game. Hurley is a weird, but very good coach. I could absolutely see him being in the discussion for Coach K's successor if he takes ASU a bit further - he's spent two years cleaning up the **** storm Herb Sendek left him, and has made them relevant.

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Badgers with a win tonight. Not making the tourney, but the team needed a good win.

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    UL's 2013 title and 2012 final four appearance being vacated.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Apparently, Delaware blew the largest lead in Division 1 basketball history as Drexel rallied from a 34 point deficit to win. :eek:

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    the ncaa can eat ****

hopefully this is the coup de grace for their current state

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    here endeth the career of one sean miller

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I guess I'm glad some truth is out in the open, but it was already an open secret and I'm about as annoyed by the FBI wasting time on this crap as I was Congress wasting time on steroids in baseball. I've seen this referred to as the recruiting "underworld". What a joke. The underworld of giving money to kids to play basketball. How seedy. Though I find it hilarious that this idiot kept official expense reports on this.

Oh no, someone gave Josh Jackson's mom $2700 so, idk, she can pay the mortgage or some ****, who cares. Someone payed Miles Bridges' mom a whole $400, I'm not sure what the **** she can get with that.

Most teams do it, especially if they can afford it, so if we can just get on with it, that would be nice.

Rew, Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i think that's the majority opinion, ct. i certainly agree with you.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So let me get this straight... It was Miller that was the one wiretapped, not Pitino?

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    neither - i believe it was the agent speaking with miller that was being tapped. i think that agent was arrested earlier in the month, and now they're going through his correspondence.

louisville nor pitino were named in the documents that led to pitino's firing - he was referred to as "coach-2," i believe, and louisville was alluded to with details of the school/program. those documents/details came as a result of cooperation from a scumbag that the SEC (securities commission, not conference) took down.

may be wrong on some of this, just going from memory.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You know with a sport where it's 'one and done,' I don't know why you wouldn't let the kids who know their leaving for the NBA after one year go ahead and get an agent.

17. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Yes there need to be changes and if that includes paying college athletes then so be it. But until then this stuff is illegal and needs to be treated as such

18. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Whoops

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Kevaughn Allen of the Florida Gators pulled a Chandler Parsons impression by making a buzzer beater from 65 ft. Granted, it was halftime and not the end of the game, but still...

heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Is that one of those find 10 different things between the two photos? If so, the score is still the same. :D

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Just want to point out the absurdity of dominance that is UConn's women's basketball team.

Tonight was senior night. For seniors who have gone 140-2.so far and won two national championships.

Say what you will about competitive imbalance. It's still worth appreciating. Up there and surpassing Wooden's UCLA teams.

cubman987 and heels1785 like this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it's team to end that "one-and-done" rule before entering the NBA and just make the G-League the "farm system" by all the NBA teams. Moreover, since the NCAA is widely corrupted, they should do away with the "amateur status" of college athletes (like the Olympics), as it never was or will be a "leveled playing field" when it comes to recruiting. The colleges don't have to pay the players, but they should allow them to hire agents and make endorsement deals.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    if and when (read = when) the ncaa in its current state self-combusts, i hope the world gives jay bilas the credit he deserves.

as the one and only positive impact on the world made by duke basketball, he has railed against the corruption and staggering double standards for as long as i've known of him.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.