main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2018 Celebrity Deadpool (no sequels plz)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Fascinating insight into animal consciousness and what could/should be the door opener to a larger discussion-No mention of a god/God. Easy to say "of course animals know god", Psalm references and the like until they start talking. A larger sampling of animals who could be taught to communicate without a bias toward religion/no religion would make for amazing discussion I think.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I bet they Dream of Summer too.

SuperWatto and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Not to malign the consciousness and moral sense of social primates, but maybe also some of the kinds of “understanding” we have that encourages us to attribute supernatural actors as the cause of arbitrary natural events isn’t very “deep” at all. Maybe it’s more of a flaw in sapiens cognition that gorillas don’t share with us.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I wasn't really talking about that when I was talking about "understanding things on a deep level." The notion of "God" hadn't really entered my mind. I was more just thinking about death-consciousness and moral philosophy. I mean, obviously the "ideas" and the "emotions" that these animals have and feel are, I think, different from ours. I think it's arrogant to think that they think and feel in exactly the same way we do, but I'm just more saying that they have emotions and thoughts that are more like ours than we would probably like to think, if we're invested in the idea of us as humans having the power to exploit animals. I mean, I feel like my dog loves me. Is that love exactly like the love I feel? No, it isn't. But it's something analogous, I think, and, I think, his behavior is very tied to emotion, not just stimulus/response. On the other hand, I don't think that he understands death. He knows that he can kill smaller animals and he has, like a squirrel he killed once. But I don't think he understands the moral implications of taking a life or the notion that he will himself die. On a level like that, I would certainly say that humans have an understanding that is deeper than his when it comes to notions of mortality. Koko & Michael both seemed to have a deeper understanding of death than my dog. They also seemed to have a rudimentary sense of right and wrong. This is another area where you wonder exactly what to make of a world where a gorilla seems to understand that it's "wrong" to kill a bird, but a huge percentage of people don't see a problem with the wholesale murder of other human beings. But in a fundamental way, this is tied to brain development. I mean, yes, I believe in a spiritual side of consciousness, but science tells us that my consciousness of "spiritual" things comes from the brain; I mean, when I pray, there are certain specific areas of my brain that fire while I'm in that spiritual state. Taken in that sense, whether animals or humans share similar notions of some sort of a higher power or not, obviously comes down, as all of this does, to brain science. But I don't even really understand how all of that works in humans, the idea of morality and philosophy and spirituality. I mean, consciousness and all that comes with it is so much deeper and stranger than just electrical impulses. But turns out an electrical impulse is what allowed me to just type that sentence. So how all these things work for animals is even more opaque to me. But I find it fascinating to think about.

appleseed and firesaber like this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If you die at home, and no one finds you for days, your dog will eat you

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Yay, my dad didn't have a dog

Master_Rebado likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If you die at home, and no one finds you for an hour, your cat will eat you.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

you are a visionary, ramza.

9. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, cats are much neater and don't like messes.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don’t think he’s finished mourning Koko.

soitscometothis and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Nooooooo!!!!!! Not Vinnie too! Losing Dime (especially considering the fashion in which we did) was devastating enough!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh ****. Put him behind a drum set with two sticks and he was a ******* FORCE OF NATURE

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    I still remember where I was when when I learned Dimebag died. My dad made me hot chocolate with a shot of Jagermeister just minutes before, and I swear, it was the absolute worst tasting drink I have ever had, even to this day. I was in the Metal chatroom on Yahoo at this point when other people were talking about what happened at the Alrosa Villa nightclub in Columbus, OH. I thought they were lying, and I hoped they were too, until one user posted a link to what was at the time the only article online about the incident (it was from one of the local news stations in Columbus). When I read that, I felt like I was stabbed in the heart. Good thing I had the absolute worst tasting booze on hand, because I REALLY needed that to drown my sorrows, and I couldn't sleep at all that night.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I got to see Pantera live in 1996. Phil is a racist, I mean Dime and Vinnie Paul probably were given their confederate flag iconography and stuff but as Rogue said, behind a drum kit?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I realize I'm testing the limits of "celebrity" - but the old man from Pawn Stars died. I like the historical/freak show aspect of the show, and he filled the funny/ornery role by sitting in his chair all day and yelling at everyone.

Rest with Colo.

18. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Master_Rebado and heels1785 like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  20. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    1) William Shatner
    2) John McCain
    3) John Williams
    4) queen Elizabeth II
    5) Prince Philip.
    6) Johnny depp (OD)
    7) O.J. Simpson
    8) Hillary Clinton
    9) Charlie sheen
    10) Antony Hopkins

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    you're like 7 months late

but i appreciate the courageous bipartisanship reflected on your death list

22. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    There is still 5 months left :emperor:

And death takes no favorites ;)

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Does that stand for overdraft?

cubman987 likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    OverDue as in his list of names.

25. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Is Antony Hopkins like a deformed clone of Anthony Hopkins? Or would that be Anthoony Hopkins?

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.