main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2018 Celebrity Deadpool (no sequels plz)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'll always take a distinctive voice over a stereotypical "good" but bland one. Her voice was influential enough that it doesn't even sound that jarring listening to it now, but the yodeling sound was pretty mindblowing hearing it as a youngster. They had a kind of unique sound really; grungy guitars, but with a pretty light female voice. The accent made it sound lighter too, but then when she would start with the yodeling thing that just added a whole new layer to it. I unfortunately never really got into them in a serious way as a real music lover; I'm familiar with their sound from the hits, I guess, but that's all. Seems like a regret I need to go back and clean up at some point.

solojones, Juliet316 and epic like this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If i'm going to apply the same logic that you apply to your reviews of Star Wars films, I suppose that Coldplay is a misogynistic white supremacist guitar band since its an all white male band?

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've never said that Star Wars was misogynistic or white supremacist. I said the plot of the last film was ridiculous and not well-constructed.

You want to fill me in on something?

4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Didn't you accuse Han Solo of being a rapist?

I can't see why Coldplay as a white supremacist band would be such a stretch from someone who, as I seem to recall, refers to Han Solo as a rapist.

And it's COLDPLAY NERD.

Cheers.

Darth Punk likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

Like 1:32 - 1:47 of this song is unbelievably exhilarating when you've never heard anything like it before. I mean, it still is, but as a youngster, it's like I don't even know what.

EDIT: Guys, seriously. Can we just be about a wonderful musician and the beloved music she made for like ten minutes?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Linger will always be my favourite.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Okay, when I first saw this I was like, "who the hell are The Cranberries?"

But this is The Cranberries? I love this song. It gives me that sweeping river of cathartic refreshment. I love any art that can do that for me.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Love that one, too. It will also always be associated with You've Got Mail in my mind, since it's the opening song :p

Literally any Big Finish dramas with Paul McGann. Though I must say, David Tennant did some really great ones as well. Dead Air is a favorite of mine.

Just maybe don't paint every Millenial DW fan as a screaming fangirls. Certainly there are some of those, and they can be annoying. But that still doesn't mean they have bad taste.

10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Come on, you know that's my Melbourne snark speaking - all in good sardonic humour.

Ender will blindly refer to that as "Hipsterism".

But yes, apparently the McGann dramas is essentially the 8th Doctor series we never saw.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I pointed out--correctly--that he treats Chewbacca like a slave.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Deb, I would still love to see a Paul McGann series. Night of the Doctor just made me want to see it more.

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Night of the Doctor is the best thing that was offered by the Anniversary.

MrZAP, solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think that's the song I was talking about.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Says the guy who likes Will Smith and Christmas music out of season?

Careful people, there's a lot of broken glass and stones on the floor.

16. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The Cranberries have been making music for nearly 30 years,have produced multiple albums, have gone on multiple world tours, small pub gigs, massive stadium gigs..Delores was the real deal.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Those are both wonderful. I know what I've left on the floor and I'm more than happy to sleep there.

18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Juliet316 likes this.
  19. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Can't we all just get jiggy with it?
    As the man once said:
    A little bit out of control it's cool to dance
    But what about the groove that soothes that moves romance
    Give me a soft subtle mix
    And if ain't broke then don't try to fix it-

This may from time to time mean that Trans Siberian Orchestra or Kenny G Christmas Album may appear on shuffle. I allow and embrace it as it is as the universe clearly intended.

Despite all that. Loss of a great voice. So many great songs. Always found "How" to be powerful.

20. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Unbelievable. Even the Metal crowd got robbed of a Zombie cover featuring her vocals, as her untimely death came mere hours before she was scheduled to record vocals for exactly that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, I think enough time has passed for me to get off my high horse and stop pretending I didn't want this conversation to continue. Is an implication being made that Han & Chewie had sex or what exactly is the connection between the way Han treats Chewie and Han being a rapist, because that is really not scanning.

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    No, didn't he accuse Han of impliedly raping Leia? Or at the very least assaulting her in ESB? I can't find the quote but I do remember Wokky complaining about Solo's "charm" of Leia.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What?

Why would I talk about sex things. What is wrong with you people?

soitscometothis likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Han being... not so concerned about consent in ESB is a view that has gained traction for a while, but I don't remember anything about outright rape.

Definitely isn't wocky's thing to talk about, though.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Take it to the SW thread, buttholes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.