main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2018 Emmy Awards

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Since nominations come out today, I figured I'd put this up? You have you got in this year's awards, and who will replace Game of Thrones in all those nominations since it's not eligible for nomination this year?

Guidman likes this.
  2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Even though it's limited run series, I'd say Big Little Lies replaces GoT. HBO still takes the total nomination haul. Stranger Things could have a lot of nominations too. Once those series start getting multiple nods in the writing and direction categories those start to add up.

I know its an extreme longshot to get nominated in anything so I'm calling BS that Billions won't get nominated. Giamatti, Lewis and Asia Kate-Dillon were amazing in it last year. The show took a huge step from season one.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    All I know is Legion better get nominations, and Aubrey Plaza should win all the things.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Reah Seehorn for Kim Wexler on Better Call Saul for everything available

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The only nominated show I watch out of that list is Mom. Wait, Mr. Robot season 2 wasn't nominated? I only saw the first episode, but I heard it was overall good.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So Legion got nothing, which is pretty terrible...

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Guy like this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    SNL got a joint top 22 nominations?

[​IMG]

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Carrie Fisher with a nomination. Hmm.

Nice to see The Americans get some recognition. Not enough, but.

Still no Rhea Seehorn, but Banks gets a nod.

Master_Lok likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "That's cute" ~ Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1+2

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Not happy that Game of Thrones was not nominated for drama series, but happy to see Better Call Saul, Stranger Things and This Is Us on the list. I resumed watching Westworld the other day since I resubscribed to HBO with the latest season of Game of Thrones premiere this Sunday. Also happy to see The Night Of and Feud: Bette and Joan getting the nods for Best Limited Series, as well as American Ninja Warrior and The Amazing Race for best reality competition, although I would have like to see Survivor on that list as well.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    very happy that game of thrones was not nominated for drama series. actually i don't care at all, but yay fargo, stranger things and master of none.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Legion is an acquired taste. From the reviews and comments I heard/read, many didn't make it past the first few episodes. I mean, I didn't get hooked until like the fourth episode. Legion is one of the series that greatly benefits from binge watching.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Shame on you both for not reading Jules' OP [face_plain]

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i didn't understand why her first sentence was a question so i just stopped reading right there.

jp-30 and Ender Sai like this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Should have been a period for that first one. This is what I get for putting things up during a bout of insomnia.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

Juliet316, tom and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, same on me. I didn't know there are "term (nomination) limits" with the Emmys.

Too bad basic network TV has turned to crap.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I am glad that in the absence of Game of Thrones Emmy voters have another HBO drama that disguises lazy writing with high production values, an omg-so-nerdy sci-fi/fantasy setting, and premium cable sex and violence. Because what else are they going to vote for? The dozen or so better dramas? Pfft.

Veep is a shadow of what it once was-- speaking of lazy writing-- but we want to fill up JLD's trophy shelf!

20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Veep's most recent season wasn't as good as past ones but still better than most other comedies (although Silicon Valley had a better season than it for the HBO comedies). JLDs acting is still amazing in it. Unless she pulls an Oprah and removes her name from competition, she'll easily be nominated every year and probably win (all of her wins so far have been deservedly so).

Modern Family is the comedy that must be contractually obligated to be nominated every year.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Comedies such as You're the Worst, Bojack Horseman, Atlanta, and others have far surpassed Veep and Silicon Valley (though I think the latter is better than the former). Shows get a prestige boost from simply being on HBO-- and probably HBO's lobbying.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The Crown had better win... or something.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Game of Thrones wasn't nominated because the season hasn't aired yet (by pushing back the date, they missed the Emmy eligibility deadline). It already won a whole whack of awards for last season.

As for drama, I bestow Westworld as my personal favourite. And then Better Call Saul and Stranger Things as the runners up. Cuz I haven't seen the rest. But those 3 shows are awesome. But Westworld is the awesome-est.

Here's the random not-on-the-primetime broadcast race I'm most invested in. (aside from Star Wars Show for best short form variety series. But, actually, scratch that, I'm okay with Honest Trailers winning too. But go Rebels for best children's animated! )

Main title design
    “American Gods”
    “The Crown”
    “Feud: Bette and Joan”
    “Stranger Things”
    “Westworld”

Haven't seen the intros to The Crown or Feud but can weigh in on 3 of those. The American Gods title intro is neat with it's rave / tower of babble thingamabob but giving it demerit points because I've watched every episode and I still don't know what the sweet bejesus it's supposed to represent. Dig the shot of the neon cowboy gun spinning shot. Stranger Things is distinctive but I'm pretty sure the font is just cribbed from Stephen King's The Shinning novel (which may be the point) and it's a really cool but simply push-in through the title card. The Westworld intro is freakin' fantastic, I love how it has this really creepy yet overtly decadent musical sting that has an undercurrent of menace. You see these robots being created, and also while being made and contorted into positions for violence and pleasure which really sells the whole concept of the show in the intro, which is what a great intro should do. So, yeah, go Westworld! Again! Cuz best title sequence for sure.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Offfff course you don't get the symbolism of the American Gods titles...

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    [​IMG]