main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Can you try that again, but in English?

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    So you think that now Red Bull have announced their decision to go with Honda, Renault will "coincidentally" bring an upgrade and become the best engine manufacturer again? 8-}

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't even think they were best under the old era - I think Lotus Renault (via James Allison) and Red Bull (via Adrian Newey) both had such good chassis that they made up for the straight line difference. Speed was never their forte in the V8 era.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I think that Renault have not wanted.to supply Red Bull since the first time that RB dropped them, and tried to get Mercedes and current Ferarri engines; but in order to get historical payments like those two teams, they were forced to take them back.

So with Renault not wanting to be with RB, and that team eyeing the Honda and Renault updates at Canada to see which way to jump, my point stands on that merit.

Nothing to do with expectations that the Renault PU can suddenly do point five past lightspeed.

5. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    That's true, but then again in the V8 era the engines were all so similar and equally powered, that chassis and aerodynamics (including exhaust blown diffusers) was by far the most important aspect. These V6 hybrids are finally getting to that same stage (although with two different design routes, Merc and Honda's copycat vs Renault and Ferrari)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I know Haas' line about remaining loyal to Grosjean, but Gunther Steiner's face on the pit wall after his driver's Q3 shunt, looks like he is getting tired of this.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Renault have just announced that their engine now has a qualifying party mode, adding 10 to 15hp.

Mysteriously didn't have this before RB jumped ship.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And Sainz/Hulkenberg said they didn't notice it lol

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, it's the thought that counts.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Excellent result for Haas, finishing 4th and 5th to make up for the cross-threaded nuts in Australia. If they can keep improving, I think they may have a chance of joining the big three in a couple of seasons. One could arguably say they are the best of the rest right now.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They need to overhaul Renault first...

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It was a great result, and important especially for Grosjean after all his recent mistakes. The team is getting better but I don't actually think the car is improving though, it was just suited to this track. Haas will never be a top team as long as they rely on using year old Ferrari car designs. They will always be weak in years with larger regulation changes in aerodynamics, like next year, as they have to actually design something new instead of just copy.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Back to normal at Silverstone. After their great results in Austria, both Verstappen and Grosjean have already crashed in today's practice sessions.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Danny!!!!! :eek:

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Mind. Blown.

Two or three races ago, I watched Danny in interview, and thought, he's gone from Red Bull.

Even with news that he was re-signing for them, I felt it was with gritted teeth.

Just like when Ron Dennis claimed that Lewis had nowhere else to go, some teams act like absolute 'holes if they think they have a driver over a barrel.

Apart from Monaco, Red Bull have made no attempt to convey to Danny that they want him to stay as an equal and welcome driver.

19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I was wearing a Vettel #1 Red Bull Infinity cap today.

Daniel obviously has faith that Renault will keep on improving and make another jump closer to Ferrari and Mercedes and that Red Bull might have difficulties with Honda. Still this announcement is a bit of a surprise to me.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think it boils down to - Red Bull want to be a team that's effectively works, like the McLaren-Mercedes arrangement. That takes time to consolidate, which means whilst an investment for the long term, the short term cannot be a reliable indicator of championship potential. Max, at the tender age of 21 or so, is more likely to have 5 years to learn and establish the team around him than Daniel, who is 29. Renault have said to Ricciardo what Mercedes said to Hamilton, I reckon - we're prepared to invest in winning a title and we want you to be the anchor of our efforts.

Sith-I-5 and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Interesting thing now is does Red Bull go with Gasly OT do they want an experienced older driver like Raikkonen as a clear number 2 driver? Sainz seems to be heading to McLaren, with Lando Norris getting a seat at Torro Rossi in return. Will it be Alonso that is leaving for Indycars, or Vandorne that makes way for Sainz?

Mercedes: Hamilton - Bottas
    Ferrari: Vettel - Leclerc ?
    Red Bull: Verstappen - Raikkonen ?
    Renault: Ricciardo - Hulkenberg
    McLaren: Alonso ? - Sainz
    Haas: Magnusson - Grosjean ?
    Sauber: Eriksson - Vandorne ?
    Toro Rosso: Gasly ? - Norris ?

Williams and Force India I have no idea due to the FI administration and Stroll's dad wanting to buy his kid a faster seat.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think Vandoorne is likely out.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah, which is really unfair on him. 1. He is up against Alonso for comparison. 2. The McLaren car is a brick aerodynamically this year. And 3. McLaren have confirmed that for some unknown reason Vandoorne's car is more bricky than Alonso's and produces less down force even with identical aero parts.

Sauber will probably need a new driver to replace Leclerc. Vandoorne would be a good fit there and would surely out perform Erikkson, who is only there for his sponsors money.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No the rumour is that Giovinazzi will get a Sauber seat, with his test results at Hungary being so good. There's also talk of Pietro Fittipaldi getting a Haas test.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting.

I have been hearing that Marchionne's passing, has made the Le Clerc to Ferarri less of a certainty; and the Alfa Romeo / Sauber team up less viable, although the latter relationship was getting strained anyway, it seems.

Last year, Joe Saward put Vettel's success in the 2017 title, as giving him more say as to having Kimi as his team-mate. So if he does become 2018 WDC, I would think Kimi continues at Ferarri.