main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2018 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2018.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Crushing it!

I made an appointment with my tattoo artist for March 19th. If I can get my torso shredded to the point of clear definition I'll have him bring my back piece around to my abs. If I fail miserably and I still have this weird layer of dough over my abs I'll have him finish my arms. Either way I'll be a work in progress.

Let's talk cardio for a minute. I know a lot of you guys run and that's cool. I can't run. My hip and my shins just don't agree with the process. I swim every day but I think I've reached a "plateau" of sorts. Anyone have success with rowing? Was thinking of starting a rowing machine regimen for a month or so.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    When the clock strikes midnight tonight, I will be at one month in 2018 and zero sodas consumed.

Have my Dr. Appointment today to check my bloodsugar levels (and weight). We'll see how I'm progressing there. Haven't cheated once on my Nutritional Plan, havne't had a week less than 4x30 for workouts. The year seems off to a good start.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm doing little things. I now mostly avoid caffeine on week days and only drink it on weekends. I only eat out once a week, otherwise, I bring a sandwich and carrots to work.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You can definitely row. I’ve done some kayaking myself, fairly easy transition from swimming.

5. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Final stat for January: 495 minutes (waaaay off from where I wanted to be :( )
    current weight 230.6 lbs
    starting weight 238.0 lbs

down 7.4

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Half my vitals are in. Officially, I dropped 12 pounds between 26/10/2017 and 31/01/2018. And, I'm no longer in the "Obese" range for BMI. Waiting to hear on results for blood sugar.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So I completely have changed my meal times thanks to working out late at night, at least during the week. It’s now “breakfast” at 11:30 AM then lunch around 3 PM right before I have to drag my old butt out to coach lacrosse followed by dinner at home with the family around 6 PM and then have a protein shake after my workout. The one caveat is Friday as long as we don’t have a game I can workout quickly after practice (I always have Friday be a short practice since even I want to go home) and therefore can workout for a bit at school and then go home.

Diet is going pretty good as well. I am missing bread and diet pop but otherwise its’ going well. It’s really morph into a Kaleo Diet then anything else. I am going to give myself some leeway on Super Bowl Sunday and again on Fat Tuesday before really buckling down and trying to hit the summer months ready to go in order to really be to do some damage come Turkey Day.

As for working out it’s going better. I started this “fat burning” regime which is the least amount of lifting I have done since basically Freshmen year of high school. It supposedly really transformers your body which is what I want to do. I am 40 now and just being a meathead as I get older is harder and harder. It doesn’t me too long to get through it. Only about 45 minutes so I am enjoying that part. Spending about an hour working out each day is about the most I can give. So I am on a six day a week plan that usually is about 45-60 minutes. The days of doing six days a week for 2-3 hours honestly feels like a different human being did that. :)

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've apparently decided to increase my difficult level and ordered 80 bucks worth of premium ice cream this morning to be shipped to me ...

soitscometothis and Luke02 like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I bought five boxes of Girl Scout cookies last night.

But I also got a PR this morning in a four-miler in rain and 34 degrees F. Shaved off two minutes from my time last year and five minutes from my time the year before. I was not expecting that given the weather and having to dodge puddles, and I’m hoping my shoes dry out in time to do my normal pre-work run in the morning. Definitely happy with the results though.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    PR running in the rain? That's actually ironic.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've got this cooking in the crock pot today. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

Got my labs back from my bloodwork. Not out of the danger zone, but in a reduced danger zone on the diabetes. Also, dropped by A1C by 10% in three months. Need to follow-up again in four months. Need to keep watching the diet, because I know I can get there and not be on medicine the rest of my life.

Guidman , Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Diet absolutely got blown up yesterday and now I am paying the price. I was good most of the day but from 4 PM on it wasn’t a pretty site. Bagel dogs, Turkey/Cheese Hawaiian roll sandwiches my wife makes that are incredible, chips/home made guacamole, pizza from Costco food court (learn the secret to reheating it back up - have them make it but do not cut it up, then it’s just 15 minutes in the oven at 400 preferably on a pizza stone and it’s comes out like new and even crisper then they make it), cookies, mixed popcorn and PB M&M’s. I basically going to be fasting essentially the next couple days to try and make up for that. Then Fat Tuesday will be another bad day next week which is also my last cheat day until Easter Sunday.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @DarthIntegral

Other then Fat Tuesday, I am trying to go the next 47 days without any type of complex carbs other then fruit and vegetables along with a sweet potato here in there. That looks like the devil to me right now!

Had to give what was left of the P&B M&M’s to my in-laws from the SB while my parents took the remaining mixed popcorn bag. That hurt. On a more positive note, I found a decent marinade for chicken and turkey breast so I am actually starting to look forward to lunch again though I miss my tuna and turkey sandwiches I normally would have. :(

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m kind of in love with my new cookbook.

[​IMG]

I made the minestrone last night, the winter salad for lunch today, and I’m making the muffins tomorrow morning.

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    She should come out with a new version of that cookbook with a recipe for how to be a badass: yell **** yeah when you're winning the New York City Marathon.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    All my runner friends love this book. Me I hate to cook. Like I run or swim in the morning before work, but I gotta do another run or a kickbox video after work in order to have enough positive endorphins to get me through making a very easy mostly premade meal of "cooking" dinner for my family. Seriously we have steamed in the bag vegetables and chicken or pork chops most nights.

In December I decided I wanted to be able to do more than 20 push ups. I'm up to 43 consecutive or 2 sets of 29. I'm hoping to be able to do 50 consecutive by April 1st.

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    jan 1 i was 91.6kg, heaviest i've ever been, and i started dry january (for unrelated reasons).

jan 31 i was 87.3kg, so roughly 4kg in a month, without changing anything else. it's motivated me now to cut down on beer and replace where i can with wine and spirits, start having breakfast, and more fresh food generally. and in the last week of jan i also bought a barbell, dumbbell and bench set, and a rowing machine, for my room. i've tried gyms in the past and just always end up giving up on them, but so far i've stuck to the home setup, and am actually enjoying it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For those who don't exercise at all, here's a place to start.

[​IMG]

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Fat Tuesday tomorrow = my last carb/cheat day until April. :(

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Had a minor slip-up on the Nutritional Lifestyle last week. Girl Scout Cookies are *technically* cheating. Bah.

Still pretty proud of myself so far. No soda (minus a single sip of someone's craft peach soda, which I'm not willing to count against myself) all year. No week with fewer than 4 workouts, and only one week that's been as low as 4. Not enough reading time, but I'll start to carve that out.

However, looking for more group think suggestions here. I am about to go through some seriously difficult/emotional times. Plenty of stuff going on in my personal life. I emotionally eat ice cream and emotionally crave really bad for me fatty foods (like mozzarella sticks and wings and potato skins and other things of that ilk) when I'm stressed and high strung emotionally. I know this about myself. I'm looking for recommendations of things I might keep stocked that I could reach for to hit a similar note without the same detrimental impact to my diet/health. Any suggestions?

Guidman , Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yesterday the temperature was just a little below freezing and the roads were bare for the first time in weeks, so I left the hiking boots in the closet, put on my running shoes, and went out for a jog. I wish it was safe to do that more often, but it's just too much of a chance of slipping on the ice and breaking something most of the time.

23. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Hey man, any calorie burnt is a calorie well spent.

Got super sick out of nowhere last week. Horrible liquid from both ends. The good news is that I dropped down to a lean mean 192 lbs., but the bad news is that it was all too easy to bring it back up to 198 in 4 days....I'm paying too much attention to stuff like that I guess...Could be worse.

DarthIntegral, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I'm down to 150 LBS \ 11 Stone. Quite happy, mainly just eating Chicken and Rice, then I'll be switching to a steak/bean diet once I can do more outside in the sun.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Mortimer Snerd , that kind of weight loss is usually from dehydration, so you can expect it to come back as soon as you're healthy again. Just drink lots of water.

Mortimer Snerd and Juliet316 like this.