main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2018 Golden Globe awards

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I posted this in the At the Movies thread; should have known the Globes would be getting their own thread. Here are my initial thoughts.

Call Me By Your Name is getting raves. It opens around here in February, so I won't get to see it until after the ceremony. Really looking forward to The Shape of Water. Planning to go see Three Billboards tomorrow actually.

As for comedies, Get Out isn't one, but at least it got a nomination and, to be fair, it has a lot of very funny stuff in it, courtesy of one character in particular. Seems disingenuous of Peele to ask "What are you laughing at?" I mean, clearly, Lil Rel, right? I mean, he is in it and he's hilarious so that's one thing we're laughing at. Glad to see Lady Bird get some love. Gonna see The Disaster Artist today actually. And really looking forward to I, Tonya.

As far as the acting awards, I don't think Elgort really deserves a nomination for Baby Driver. The nomination that one needed was Jon Hamm for Supporting Actor; he was amazing and it's his best performance yet, I think. Kaluuya is a welcome surprise. I haven't seen a lot of the other stuff: haven't seen any of the Best Actor or Actress drama performances; catching Three Billboards & The Disaster Artist today and tomorrow will clean up a lot of the acting/supporting acting nominations. Nice to see Willem Dafoe get a nod for The Florida Project; really restrained performance. But I thought Bria Vinaite gave the real performance of that movie; she was amazing - and it was her debut film. Really raw, very naturalistic, felt very real. Still a lot of intriguing performances I'm looking forward to checking out: always great to see Richard Jenkins nominated for something; I thought Hong Chau was really great in Inherent Vice, so I'm now really curious about her role in Downsizing; really looking forward to Jessica Chastain in Molly's Game. Though I figure Christopher Plummer got a nomination for All the Money in the World purely as a statement about that whole recasting kerfuffle. Though if he managed to pull that whole switcheroo off with even the minimum of grace, I think Scott probably deserves a director nomination just for that; that was a really historic challenge for a director and if he nailed it, that's incredibly impressive all by itself.

And, in the absolute travesty category, that total piece of **** Loving Vincent got a nomination in the Best Animated category. That movie was a ******* crime.

Best Foreign Language Film? I've seen none of them and only heard of a couple. But I am beyond pumped for The Square. Always glad to see Elisabeth Moss actually getting something to do and Ostlund's last film, Force Majeure, was as pitch-black as black comedies get. Probably the cringiest movie I've ever seen actually.

I'll keep you posted as I catch up to some of these as the year rolls on to a close.

Darth Punk and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Why is The LEGO Batman Movie not up for best animated film?!

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hang on, i'll ask.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I thought Get Out should have gotten more. I feel Peel should have gotten a best screenplay nom, at least.
    I can see why it might have been nominated in comedy, it would have gotten nothing in drama, so I can see the studio wanting to slot it elsewhere. And it is satirical, but I don't blame Peel for being upset, he didn't write a light hearted movie, yes it had some really funny parts, but it wasn't intended to be a comedy.

In TV, I was quite upset to not see The Good Place get anything.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm bummed that "Your Name" wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature. Hopefully it'll get recognized at the Oscars.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, man, yeah, I forgot about Your Name. Really great movie. I mean, it had to be better than The Boss Baby, right?

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Last night's Golden Globes was definitely about the "#MeToo" and "#TimesUp" movement with the "Black Out" attire of dresses on the red carpet, speeches (especially Oprah's) and whatnot. Not that it wasn't well deserved as that was pretty much the biggest story of 2017, at least in Hollywood.

I like seeing Guillermo Del Toro get a Golden Globe for The Shape of Water and James Franco win for The Disaster Artist (especially when he invited Tommy Wiseau on stage). Incidentally, here's what Tommy Wiseau would have said if he was given the mic:
    I also liked how the show sped itself along at certain points by just reading off the nominees in various categories and announcing the winners.

For some reason, I though Kirk Douglas passed away awhile ago, so it was nice to see him on stage last night. However, I'm not sure why Michael Douglas wasn't there instead of Catherine Zeta Jones.

At some point, I'm going to watch "Handmaid's Tale."

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Michael Douglas is off-again/on-again with cancer so that wouldn't shock me. It also wouldn't shock me if he stayed home with the kids and out of the limelight for his dad and CZJ (since he desperately wants to get back together with her supposedly, if that hasn't happened already).

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Oh, I didn't know about Michael Douglas' battle with cancer. I hope he gets well soon.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nice about GdT (and good for him saying stop the music) and Ewan McGregor. Somehow saw GdT's speech and then tuned it off.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Shape of Water deserved its wins. I would have liked Get Out and its cast to have been recognized. I'd like Shape of Water to be nominated for best original screenplay Oscar along with Get Out.

As usual, there were plenty of faked up release dates as award season positioning for the purpose of marketing. No one has seen The Post yet, and even fewer have seen Phantom Thread. Post expanded from 9 theaters to 36 this past weekend. Phantom Thread expanded from 4 theaters to 6. The Shape of Water at least opened at the beginning of December and was playing in 750 theaters by the end of the year. Even at that level it was difficult to see though well worth it.

Also, a lot of the talk about the importance of journalism and journalists at the Golden Globes felt like a marketing tie in for The Post. Credit Spielberg I guess for making a relevant film and timing it perfectly for an award season focusing on the issue. Uncanny level of serendipity there.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So - was it funny ? (I don't really care much about who wins the awards anymore I just watch these things for the gags and the gaffs )

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Even though I have yet to see it, I was bummed that "The Breadwinner" didn't win for best animated feature. It looks like a very good story. But alas, you just can't compete with big Daddy Warbucks Disney and/or Dreamworks Animation with their Computer Generated films that rake in the box office dough. I'd bet hardly any of those who vote for the movies watch the independent films that barely make back the money invested in them. Unless I'm mistaken, the last animated movie to win a GG and/or Oscar that wasn't filmed by Disney or Dreamworks was Spirited Away in 2003.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So does anyone think Oprah's speech was her testing the waters for a Presidential run.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've seen speculation about that on both the CNN and BBC websites.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    What fun it would be to follow up one disastrous complete political outsider presidency with another, although Oprah might at least be capable of listening to and following advice and of hiring a team of professionals to run the executive branch.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    At least there wouldn't be any talk about grabbing a certain part of the female anatomy from her..

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Man, I love Oprah like any red-blooded American but yeah, the whole political-outsider-will-save-us-all narrative is surely debunked by now, right? Right? Also, piggybacking on a comment a friend made, I'd rather not have a President who preaches The Secret and endorses people like Dr. Oz. Oprah's great as a media mogul, an activist, and even some kind of new-agey spiritual leader. As an elected official? No thanks.

That all being said, I watched a video of her speech before I heard all the President buzz and - while I loved it - nothing about it signalled testing the political waters to me. Maybe this is naivete on my part, but she was (the first black woman) getting the DeMille award on the same night as the big Time's Up demonstration, any speech she gave in that circumstance was bound to have the themes she touched on. It would really have taken a lot of weird behind the scenes Illuminati style rigging to manufacture that circumstance just so she could kick off a potential Presidential race.

20. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I didn't see much of this but definitely cheered for Oprah.

[​IMG]

*snigger*

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Portman brought up a great point. There are best Actor/Actress and Supporting Actor/Actress, why no Best female or male Director category?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Quantity.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    On another note, I found it amusing that the only woman that didn't wear black last night was Tonya Harding.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The President of the Hollywood Foreign Press/Golden Globes also did not wear a black dress.

As a creating a category for best female director? That shipped has sailed. I think at this point it would be viewed at patronizing.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    There has just never been nearly as many female directors as male directors. I don’t like the fact that she got smart about it, because all the female directors have to do is make a film worthy of an award. I don’t care if a man or a woman win best director, as they’re both equal to me. The award shows are all turning political, especially with last year’s Oscars. No one behind the scenes is being sexist or racist, they’re simply choosing the best work. What gender or race the people behind the work are should mean nothing.

DebonaireNerd likes this.