main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2018 Oscars

Discussion in 'Community' started by Guidman , Jan 22, 2018.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Interesting, because I think it's the reverse, in my opinion.

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The deciding factor for me is that both are really cheesy, but White House Down is so knowingly, and leans into it.

BigAl6ft6 and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Good point.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Now that´s how you end a post kids.

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I just hope it's not Kimmel hosting again next year .

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Exactly. Olympus tries to be a lot more serious whereas as White House Down, in typical Roland Emmerich fashion, is just flat out ridiculous and goofy. I still can't get over how the daughter's flag waving hobby actually had a payoff at the end. What a movie.

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    That is an asinine question. Have you watched any of those movies?

MrZAP likes this.
  8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Who wants to bet Luke02 thought killing Luke in TLJ was a bad decision?

Diggy likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    There were alot of folks on Twitter that want Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolf to host next year after this number on stage:

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    kimmel was pretty bad this year, just going through the motions it felt like. i thought he was slightly better last year. but it was also really weird that when they are trying so hard to highlight women and movements like "metoo" that the old host of "the man show" was the best they could come up with to host. i know that's not really his image anymore, but they could have so easily done better.

Diggy likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    couldn't they get someone that's funny ?

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    They should do something completely unorthodox have the Oscars hosted by the Muppets or the Simpsons or something like that.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If Kobe Bryant can escape "MeToo" despite raping and having his legal team slutshame a teenager, Kimmel can escape the relatively mild stigma of having created, produced and hosted a show in which they called a recurring group of women "Juggies" and generally "jokingly" encouraged objectification.

It's almost as though Hollywood still hasn't actually learned anything.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Given all that's happened to Kimmel since last year, his mind was probably more on his son, than wholly on the Oscars.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And the contract was already signed before everything really kicked off probably. However, his difficult year would have been a perfect excuse for him to bow out and have a bit more of a statement host, if so desired.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    This is the correct answer, though I would also like to submit that any list that includes Boyhood and Tree of Life in its top 10 of the century (and barely put 12 Years a Slave in the top 50 wtf) gets no respect from me.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget Gary "I repeatedly struck Donya Fiorentino in the face with a phone receiver" Oldman.

The most disappointing thing about Olympus Has Fallen is that Butler has a line about how the terrorists have rigged the windows with C-4, which has you expecting a scene where he kills a bad guy by throwing him into a window and causing the explosives to detonate, but it never happens.

Of the one's I'd seen on that list, I'd name at least 40.

MrZAP likes this.
  18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I never see the sense of comparing art across different genres. A list that has Brokeback Mountain next to Inside Out is meaningless to me.

The claim that movies magically started becoming inferior needs to be quantified before it can be verified.
    @Luke02. What measurements have you performed to arrive at this conclusion? And along which parameters do you measure?

20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    double post. woof

DANNASUK likes this.
  21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Oscars have become bland. Host them in North Korea to add more excitement, where the acceptance speeches have to be communist propaganda songs. On the penalty of death.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I heartily agree that White House Down is superior, so much so I passed on Olympus Has Fallen cuz I got a legit kick outta White House Down and even the ads for Olympus didn't look as much fun.

As for quality of Oscar best picture nominees, I will never stand by the "everything is bad and awful and it was better back then!" decry about films, I personally always find a whole bunch of movies every year I think is fantastic. I do agree that genre and comic book movies have been getting unjustly passed over when it comes to the big guns. BUT we literally just saw a change in that this year with Get Out and Shape of Water and Shape of Water frickin' won, so that's great. But I do think big budget multiblockbusters deserve to be in the Best Picture conversation, stuff like Avengers, Captain America: Civil War, Star Trek, Logan, Deadpool, Last Jedi, Force Awakens, Guardians of the Galaxy, it's all greatly made action ensemble stuff, much like the Random Serious World War II movie that is almost always nominated every year. (Not a slam against Dunkirk, though, I loved it). Or the serious historical movie (that is a slam against The Post and Darkest Hour. Which are okay movies but Best Picture of 2017? C'mon now).

Which is what makes the expanse to 10 nominations so infuriating is what spurned it was Dark Knight not getting nominated but the Academy is still picking movies that are little seen as Best Picture. Not that little seen = good, more seen = bad, but just cuz something makes 150+ million opening weekend to end up at 700-1 billion dollar box office total means it should be automatically discounted from Best Picture conversation.

That aside, I'd put Cash Money down that Black Panther scores a Best Pic nom for 2018. Cash Money!

Guidman and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I really liked Olympus Has Fallen, but London Has Fallen... Oh god. Now that sucked! They dropped the quality like 90%.

Anyway, I 100% agree that some of the big budget films should be up for best picture. Not just because I like them more, but because some are legitimately better than a lot of the Oscar bait films. Some of the critic ratings are even higher. Logan, Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were all snubbed this year.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    It's not "Derivative"....it's the exact same. Couch Tomato breaks it down...Check it out.

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Comment below the video: "Both movies are Universal Pictures. Get out made 2.5 times what The Skeleton Key made, off 10% of the budget. Someone knew what they were doing."

[face_thinking]

[face_mischief]